Strangest Films of All Time

DudeAsInCool

Those are the top ten FAMOUS strange films.

I have seen a billion really strange films that had absolutely no story or purpose. I would put the directors in the madhouse* easily.

Pi was a really strange movie indeed.

*madhouse = krankenhouse in german. Great word.

madhouse = krankenhouse in german. Great word.

Krankenhaus also means 'hospital.' :)

the rest of what method said, that these are famous films. they left off 'detour' as well as many others

i saw that movie " tin drum " on late night tv down here....we quite enjoyed it....a movie with a message..or two..certainly VERY different.. :)

I love Tin Drum--but I dont think I would put it on the list of strange or bizarre films

I thought "Freaks", directed in 1932 by Todd Browning was strange and bizarre.......but I love this movie, I have watched it many many times........and will watch it more.

frea.gif

Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com

Tod Browning, who directed Bela Lugosi in the original Dracula, stepped into even eerier territory with this 1932 story of betrayal and retribution in the circus. Evil trapeze artist Olga Baclanova seduces and marries a midget in the circus sideshow, hoping to inherit his wealth. But in doing so, she has crossed the wrong folks: the tightly knit group of nature's aberrations, who stick together like family--and who set out to avenge their little pal. Browning brought in some of the most famous sideshow attractions of the era, include Siamese twins Daisy and Violet Hilton and Johnny Eck the Legless Boy, as well as Zip and Pip, microcephalics whose appearance in this film inspired cartoonist Bill Griffith to create his comic strip, "Zippy the Pinhead." So disturbing that it was banned for 30 years in Great Britain. --Marshall Fine

Edited by Cerebral_Assassin

they got it right on mulholland drive for sure........ :)

i think david lynch's 'lost highway' was far stranger than 'mullholland drive.' and of course, i love 'freaks;' another flick that helped make me what i am today :)

Krankenhaus also means 'hospital.' :)

A german friend told me that it means hospital and I told him it sounded like a word for madhouse. He then told me that it also means that. Very cool word. I use that everyday even if I mean something else.

Funny... before I clicked the link, I tried to make a list of the strangest movies I've seen... The first two on that list were on my list!

City of Lost Children was beyond weird. It probably didn't help that I was falling asleep watching it and reading the subtitles though.

Mulholland Drive... what a mindfuck.

I didn't think A Clockwork Orange was all that weird... I was a huge fan of the book before seeing the movie. Yes, including the 21st chapter.

Pi was weird, but I don't think it really belongs on the list... it didn't stand out to me.

Oh, I also think the original Vanilla Sky (Obres los ojos.. something. 'Open your eyes' in spanish) was much stranger than the American version.

The first ... many minutes of 2001: Space Odyssey were stranger than shit too.

I've only seen five of the ten on that site.

i think they should take a look at werner herzog's films and then remake the list after they've seen 'fitzcarraldo' and 'aguirre the wrath of god.' werner herzog's a genius IMO, a lunatic but a genius.

they also left off 'eraserhead' and 'andy warhol's bad' (in brief, 'Hazel Aikins runs an electrolysis center out of her home in Queens, New York and on the side runs a ring of smart-mouthed and sexy street girls whom she hires out as professional killers to those unwilling to do their own dirty deeds.' from here). and AW's 'trash' where joe dallesandro feeds his heroin habit.

i love films and i love the 'strange' ones best (those are the ones that i compare myself to and come out fairly normal, IMO) :lol: