SHANIA TWAIN

Jim Colyer

Shania Twain is the best artist of the last decade on the strength of 3 albums: The Woman In Me, Come On Over & Up!. Shania and her husband, Mutt Lange, co-wrote the best crop of girl songs ever. Women sing their songs nightly in karaoke bars around the country: Any Man Of Mine, You Win My Love, From This Moment, (If You're Not In It For Love) I'm Outta Here!, Honey I'm Home & Man! I Feel Like A Woman! Shania's Up! album showed a progression in the tradition of The Beatles. 19 songs like Forever And For Always, Ka-Ching & When You Kiss Me elevate Shania's feminist themes to true art. She is still the cutting edge. Her new video, Don't, is being shown by Country Music Television. Shania has rocked Nashville and country music in a way it never was before. I saw her in concert in Nashville in 1998. It was the best show I ever saw, 2 hours of solid hits. Read my piece about Shania: http://jimcolyer.com/papers/entry?id=46

post-9-1114747963.jpg

She might be the best female artist for her genre - but that is a sweeping statement given all the artists and categories to choose from :scratchin:

DudeAsInCool....You are right, that is a big statement to make. A lot of people will disagree. A lot disagree about ABBA. My vision of the last 50 years in music is Elvis-Beatles-ABBA-Shania. Each one created the one after it, and each evolved from the one before it. Elvis sprang from nothing. Blame John Lennon for that statement, but I agree. Music, politics, everything started fresh in the mid-fifties. Shania Twain has taken it full cycle. She is the female Elvis. I think this will be acknowledged even if it takes years. This theory permeates my music writing.

A lot of people totally forget about her first album which for her was more country than any that came after it. I bought it the first time I saw her video for "What Made You Say That". It's a good album that I have listened to many times and still do on occasion........I think her music is too slick and polished these days, but so is every other artist that Mutt Lange has produced.

post-9-1114822815.jpg

• 1 month later...

I watched Shania on Larry King last night and liked what I heard. Shania is well-grounded. She has not been swept away by fame and success. She is a practical woman. She will be 40 in August, and I wondered about her future. Shania and Mutt Lange have one child and do not mean to have anymore. She said she will continue to tour and pursue her career.