Radiohead Win Best Album Poll

radiohead.jpgRadiohead are the surprise winners of a Best Album survey with their 1998 record 'Ok Computer'.

They beat music legends The Beatles, Rolling Stones and Michael Jackson in the poll conducted by British television network CHANNEL 4.

Half a million people were consulted on their personal favourites in Channel 4's quest to find the 100 greatest albums in music history.

U2 came second with 1987 album 'The Joshua Tree', and Nirvana are third from the top with 1991's 'Nevermind'.

Michael Stipe agreed with the poll, saying, "OK Computer really stretched and pushed the boundaries of what Radiohead think they're capable of doing. It is a classic and brilliant record."

The Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr adds, "OK Computer is pretty much a landmark record."

The Top Ten Best Albums are:

1. RADIOHEAD, OK COMPUTER (1998) 2. U2, THE JOSHUA TREE (1987) 3. NIRVANA, NEVERMIND (1991) 4. MICHAEL JACKSON, THRILLER (1982) 5. PINK FLOYD, DARK SIDE OF THE MOON (1973) 6. OASIS, DEFINITELY MAYBE (1994) 7. THE BEATLES, SGT PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND (1967) 8. MADONNA, LIKE A PRAYER (1989) 9. GUNS N' ROSES, APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION (1987)

10. THE BEATLES, THE WHITE ALBUM (1968).

ContactMusic.com

not i, said the little red something. :)

oh no sir...oh no..did i mention i was sick of these suckass polls......i`m still reeling from esquire magazine informing me that slash was the greatest rock guitarist in where ever... <_>

aren't these polls mostly self-selecting? judging by radiohead or slash winning anything, i'd say that their audiences are total dweebs or the under-15 crowd.

:poop: I had a short subscription to spin magazine at one time. I swear that every writer and editor on that magazine spent time as a backstage BJ groupie for Radiohead. EVERY FUCKING ISSUE they would find some way to talk about how great Radiohead was. I like ONE of their songs.... other people may like them.... I just don't see why.

aren't these polls mostly self-selecting? judging by radiohead or slash winning anything, i'd say that their audiences are total dweebs or the under-15 crowd.

I disagree about Radiohead with all of you. I think they are a VERY good group and they indeed make excellent music that doesn't copy anything older. That album is brilliant BUT I wouldn't vote it for the top spot either.

Slash who?

Retailers report rocketing sales of classic albums that polled well in Channel 4's 100 Greatest Albums.

Amazon says it has witnessed an astonishing surge in sales of albums that polled highly in the chart.

Artists such as Jeff Buckley and Nick Drake have hurtled to the top of Amazon.co.uk's Hot 100 music chart.

They have pushed contemporary favourites such as The Killers and The Stereophonics out of the top ten.

Classic titles such as Air's debut Moon Safari have also charged into the top three as fans update their collections with classic albums they missed first time around.

The late Jeff Buckley's critically acclaimed masterpiece Grace jumped up several hundred places overnight to 4th place, while Nick Drake is currently at number six with Five Leaves Left.

Joni Mitchell's Blue is at number 16, while Radiohead, saw their top-rated album OK Computer re-enter the chart at number 14 - an amazing jump of hundreds of places.

"It's amazing the impact polls such as this can have on the public's buying trends," comments Paul Eisinger, Amazon.co.uk's music editor.

From Ananova.com

I disagree about Radiohead with all of you. I think they are a VERY good group and they indeed make excellent music that doesn't copy anything older. That album is brilliant BUT I wouldn't vote it for the top spot either.

Slash who?

Actually...we are in agreement :lol:

Well i dunno i might be biased i have a OK Computer poster right above me at the moment but it is a pretty damn good album.

I dunno if i can put it in the number 1 spot..

Good to see you again, Nulls... :)

Retailers report rocketing sales of classic albums that polled well in Channel 4's 100 Greatest Albums.

Amazon says it has witnessed an astonishing surge in sales of albums that polled highly in the chart.

Artists such as Jeff Buckley and Nick Drake have hurtled to the top of Amazon.co.uk's Hot 100 music chart.

They have pushed contemporary favourites such as The Killers and The Stereophonics out of the top ten.

Classic titles such as Air's debut Moon Safari have also charged into the top three as fans update their collections with classic albums they missed first time around.

The late Jeff Buckley's critically acclaimed masterpiece Grace jumped up several hundred places overnight to 4th place, while Nick Drake is currently at number six with Five Leaves Left.

Joni Mitchell's Blue is at number 16, while Radiohead, saw their top-rated album OK Computer re-enter the chart at number 14 - an amazing jump of hundreds of places.

"It's amazing the impact polls such as this can have on the public's buying trends," comments Paul Eisinger, Amazon.co.uk's music editor.

From Ananova.com

Cool. I'm going to start a poll about a product I want to make. I will release the poll to the public, and then make my product available.

My product?

I'm going to crap in a box. Wonderful business model.

By the way, if you download the sound of me crapping in a box, I'm going to sue you.

God... I'm grumpy.

Makes sense though. IF I watched the show and heard something I liked enough, I MIGHT go buy and album.

But, I wouldn't buy radiohead... just... makes... me.... psychotic.

Cool. I'm going to start a poll about a product I want to make. I will release the poll to the public, and then make my product available.

You could get a lot worse than RadioHead and Joni Mitchell... If it takes a poll to have Joni's records sell again, then Im all for them :scratchin:

:lol: all the sheep run out buying whatever.

why not? he's not around to defend himself. :P

*taps cloven hoof impatiently* :lol:

whoo-hooooo! you're back :lol: now post something dumb so i can rip you another asshole. :wub: