The Grateful Dead

rainbowdemon

i dint until i just read. never could stand them and vindicated when i read that this goddamn bitch who breathes poison wherever she goes used to follow them around the states, an extremely liberal thing to do for all her bullshit against liberals, deep down, she's one and knows it, if it weren't for the free speech thing...shit, i better stop now. ;)

Dude already knows i hope she dies a painful (and if i have my way) publicly humiliating death. take /that/, karma! :lol:

Edited by slum_goddess

never really got into them myself..my favourite dead album.." blues for allah "..they were a little too country and a little slow and laid back for me in the 60`s/70`s..... :)

link to all their albums in chronological order of release with album covers and plenty of detail...

http://home.frognet.net/~scott/albums.html

post-21-1113044471.jpg

I would call myself a mild Dead Head. Been to a number of their shows, including Watkns Glen with The Band and The Alman Bros. CTC was an avid deadhead--and we should consult him. But for what its worth, here are my two cents on the Dead's best albums.

(Slum G - shame on you - please stricken that God Awful C___ from this thread!)

I think this is the best Dead album:

Grateful Dead

Initial release : November 1972

Warner Bros. 3WS-2668

Three LP live set recorded during the 1972 tour of Europe.

Tracks Side 1

Cumberland Blues (Jerry Garcia / Phil Lesh / Robert Hunter)

He's Gone (Jerry Garcia / Robert Hunter)

One More Saturday Night (Bob Weir)

Side 2

Jack Straw (Bob Weir / Robert Hunter)

You Win Again (Hank Williams)

China Cat Sunflower (Jerry Garcia / Robert Hunter)

I Know You Rider (Traditional)

Side 3

Brown Eyed Woman (Jerry Garcia / Robert Hunter)

Hurts Me Too (Elmore James/Marshall Sehorn)

Ramble On Rose (Jerry Garcia / Robert Hunter)

Side 4

Sugar Magnolia (Bob Weir / Robert Hunter)

Mr. Charlie (Ron McKernan / Robert Hunter)

Tennessee Jed (Jerry Garcia / Robert Hunter)

Side 5

Truckin' (Jerry Garcia / Phil Lesh / Bob Weir / Robert Hunter)

Epilogue (Grateful Dead)

Side 6

Prelude (Grateful Dead)

Morning Dew (Rose / Dobson)

Bonus tracks on 2003 expanded CD release, all live recordings from Europe 72.

On disc 1

The Stranger (Two Souls in Communion) (McKernan)

On disc 2

Looks Like Rain (Weir / Barlow)

Good Lovin'> (Resnick / Clark)

Caution (Don Not Stop On Tracks) > (Garcia/Kreutzmann/Lesh/McKernan/Weir)

Who Do You Love> (McDaniel)

Caution (Don Not Stop On Tracks) > (Garcia/Kreutzmann/Lesh/McKernan/Weir)

Good Lovin' (Resnick / Clark)

Yellow Dog Story

post-21-1113050165.jpg

And:

Grateful Dead (Skull and Roses)

Grateful Dead

Initial release : September 1971

Warner Bros. 2WS-1935

The seventh Grateful Dead album is a two LP set of live recordings.

Tracks

LP 1 - side 1

Bertha (Garcia / Hunter)

Mama Tried (Merle Haggard)

Big Railroad Blues (Noah Lewis arr. Grateful Dead)

Playing In The Band (Weir / Hunter)

LP 1 - side 2

The Other One (Kreutzmann / Weir)

LP 2 - side 1

Me and My Uncle (Phillips)

Big Boss Man (Smith / Dixon)

Me and Bobby McGee (Kristofferson / Foster)

Johnny B. Goode (Chuck Berry)

LP 2 - side 2

Wharf Rat (Garcia / Hunter)

Not Fade Away (Petty / Hardin)

Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad (Traditional arr. Grateful Dead)

Bonus tracks on 2003 expanded CD release;

Oh Boy! (Live)

I'm A Hog For You (Live) (Leiber / Stoller)

Hidden track

1 min radio spot

Musicians

Jerry Garcia - guitar, vocals

Bill Kreutzmann - drums

Phil Lesh - bass, vocals

Pigpen (Ron McKernan) - organ, harmonica, vocals

Bob Weir - guitar, vocals

Merl Saunders - organ on Bertha, Playing In The Band, Wharf Rat (overdubbed in studio)

post-21-1113050360.jpg

Jerry Garcia recorded this album in the same Golden period and played every instrument - it ranks just about as high as the other albums for me:

1. Deal

2. Bird Song

3. Sugaree

4. Loser

5. Late For Supper

6. Spidergawd

7. Eep Hour

8. To Lay Me Down

9. An Odd Little Place

10. The Wheel

post-21-1113050678.jpg

CTC Command wrote me on his favorite:

Actually my all-time favorite Dead album is Live Dead, recorded in 1970, which has THE definitive recording of "Dark Star." The rest of it is pretty darn good too. I won't go into the realm of bootlegs, as that would be a bottomless pit. Studio albums...i thought their entire 1970's catalog was pretty darn good though most were critically panned. American Beauty, Workingman's Dead, Shakedown Street, Terrapin, Blues For Allah... all great imho. Go To Heaven (1980) was their last good old-school studio effort, and even then it seems like they were trying to get some top 40 action with "Alabama Getaway."

i always dug their artwork and their name, too bad their music disappointed, too mellow and too boring, even hearing 'riding that train, high on cocaine' i was always like 'you'd never know it.'

i always dug their artwork and their name, too bad their music disappointed, too mellow and too boring, even hearing 'riding that train, high on cocaine' i was always like 'you'd never know it.'

Check out some of the live albums from the 70s--they were neither boring or totally mellow. And the Dead actually encouraged downloading...

oh yeah, there's that. *thumb's up smiley* and i do admire jerry garcia for keeping his huge heroin habit a secret for so long. :)

this is where our values &c part company, Dude. cause i admire anyone who's a US citizen and can maintain an illegal drug habit for so long, where i couldn't. funny thing...i've been narcotically straight for ages but since 2K i've been wishing for some goooood stuff, y'know...just to buffer the bullshit better (to leave me in a total state of not giving a shit about our country).

this is where our values &c part company, Dude. cause i admire anyone who's a US citizen and can maintain an illegal drug habit for so long, where i couldn't. funny thing...i've been narcotically straight for ages but since 2K i've been wishing for some goooood stuff, y'know...just to buffer the bullshit better (to leave me in a total state of not giving a shit about our country).

I'm for the legalization of drugs. But I dont think one's addictions matter whether they occur in the US, the UK or the Soviet Union, or anywhere else in the world, with the exception of maybe the Danish countries...

you're probabaly right; all i know is the US and Germany. i've talked to my doctor on this many times (he opened the door to the topic w/an off-handed remark about gathering a lot of data and conducting experiments while in medical school on why some dig smack and some don't. he became interested when he saw one of his best friends, another medical student he calls 'brilliant', get strung out).

anyway, the perception i get from him is that in DE it's looked upon more as a disease and not stigmatised as it is in the states. his practise includes dispensing methadone and although i can't pick them out, he always tells me if there was an ex-junkie or two sitting in his waiting rm w/me. i think that's a more healthy additude than that they hold in the states, an attitude which would be more conducive to success if success is measure by less dope fiends being gradually weaned off methadone.

• 1 year later...