Former Tiger Alex Sanchez first to be caught

Yoda

Tampa Bay's Sanchez suspended for violating baseball's policy on performance-enhancing drugs

By FRED GOODALL, AP Sports Writer

April 3, 2005

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) -- Tampa Bay outfielder Alex Sanchez was suspended 10 days for violating baseball's new policy on performance-enhancing drugs, the first player publicly identified under the major leagues' tougher rules.

The suspension begins Monday when Tampa Bay opens its season against Toronto, the commissioner's office said Sunday.

Under the new policy that took effect last month, steroids and other performance-enchancing substances are the only drugs to draw a 10-day suspension. Baseball officials and the players' union agreed they would not disclose the exact substance for which a player tests positive.

Sanchez said he was surprised by the suspension, adding that he uses milkshakes and multivitamins to build his energy -- and blaming the positive test on something he bought over the counter.

``I'm going to fight it, because I've never taken steroids or anything like that. ... I never take any steroids because I don't need them,'' said Sanchez, who was released by Detroit in mid-March and signed by the Devil Rays.

Sanchez, 28, who hit .322 with 19 stolen bases in 79 games for the Tigers last season, said he was drug tested while he was with Detroit. He was to be the Devil Rays' center fielder on opening day.

Because the suspension is without pay, Sanchez will lose $32,787 of his $600,000 salary.

Devil Rays general manager Chuck LaMar said the team would have no comment on the suspension.

``It's surprising,'' manager Lou Piniella said. ``That's all I have to say on that.''

Piniella conceded, however, that it was frustrating to have to make a lineup change on the eve of the season opener.

``Sanchez had come in here and hit the ball,'' Piniella said. ``Now we've just got to make adjustments, and we will.''

Sanchez learned of the positive test result early Sunday and participated in a workout at Tropicana Field later in the day. He said he had not been told what banned substance was detected.

He insisted, however, that he has never used steroids.

``I know I did nothing incorrect. ... I take stuff I buy over the counter. Multivitamins, protein shakes, muscle relaxants. That kind of stuff,'' Sanchez said.

``I'm surprised because look at what kind of player I am. I'm a leadoff hitter. I never hit any home runs.''

Sanchez did not identify any of the products he purchased over the counter, but described them as ``something to give me energy, put a little muscle on my body. That's it.''

``Everything on the banned list is a Schedule III controlled substance except for Human Growth Hormone,'' said Gene Orza, the union's chief operating officer. ``There is nothing sold over the counter after Jan. 15, the effective date of the new (federal) legislation, that is a banned substance.''

Baseball has only urine tests, which can't detect hGH. It is possible the Sanchez took a substance that he purchased legally before Jan. 15.

Sanchez left Cuba on a rickety raft 11 years ago, leaving his family behind. He spent about 16 months in a refugee camp before finally making it to the United States. Last month, Sanchez was reunited with his mother and brother in Miami for the first time since 1994.

Asked if he was embarrassed to become the first player to be disciplined under baseball's new steroids policy, Sanchez shrugged.

``There's nothing we can do about it,'' he said.

The suspension was announced less than three weeks after several current and former players, including Mark McGwire, traveled to Washington to testify at a congressional hearing on steroids in baseball.

``The biggest penalty is being known as a steroid user. That's the No. 1 punishment you can get,'' Philadelphia pitcher Randy Wolf said. ``Whether it's 10, 30 days, a year, your name being out there and being branded is going to be the biggest punishment.''

New York Yankees pitcher Mike Mussina said the suspension drives home the reality of the tougher rules.

Read the rest

I remember this bum from Detroit last year. He was lazy, he didnt really try at all, he has no power so I dont really understand how he is taking steriods.

They shouldnt keep the steriods disclosed because Im really intrested to figure out what he was taking.

I am totally against steroid use, if......and that's a big "IF" he bought it over the counter then that's B.S. There should be no repercussions on over the counter "drugs". If the substance was given to him by a trainer or another player and can't be bought over the counter then suspend the guy. People are out here on a daily basis making meth from Sudafed and other over the counter ingredients but that's being mixed together and cooked for the sole purpose of getting high, killing themselves or however else you want to look at it, but if what's in his system comes from an energy shake, protein drinks or whatever else they sale at these nutrition places then let the guy play ball........if it's wrong to take the stuff then the government needs to step in and get the stuff off the shelves and make it a prescription item.

I'm all for steroids. According to Cansenco they really improve a person's life. I'm thinking of seeing if they can help me with school.

i think the baseball officials, the players' union or whatever and elected officials should all be urine-tested.