Spock Blasts Alley`s Fat Show

leonardnimoy.jpeg The Star Trek star-turned photographer, who recently caused a stir with his photographic mix of plus-size female nudes and religious iconography, is no Kirstie Alley fan.

Nimoy, who turned 74 on Saturday, blasted Alley's show which features overweight women.

"It's deplorable, dishonest and contrived," he told Time Magazine. "My models are proud people. (Alley is) lying on the floor crying."

Source:KRT

well he has a point but personally, i'm pleased that she has the nerve to show herself like that. no, i wouldn't watch the show (never watched anything she was in).

Unless you haven't been at the supermarket checkout in the last three years (and if you haven't, lucky you!), you know that Kirstie Alley has been battling the bulge. The paparazzi have obsessively documented her growing girth ‑- and the photos have been splashed on tabloid covers everywhere. But instead of getting mad, Alley decided to get even by creating and starring in a show about an overweight actress (named Kirstie Alley) who is looking for work and love. What do you think of Fat Actress? How does Kirstie's performance compare with her portrayal of Rebecca Howe on Cheers in her heyday? Will the show be as funny if Kirstie sheds her excess poundage? Is the Fat Actress fueling Fat Discrimination?

There are some uncomfortable insights into the popularity of Kirstie Alley's show "The Fat Actress".which, by the way, premiered at the same time as National Eating Disorders Awareness Week.

What galls most about Fat Actress is that the show gives the impression that it champions overweight acceptance and comfort in one's own skin when in fact it fuels fat phobia, mocking as it does the star's own size-fueled distress.

"A show like this has the potential to be successful for all of the wrong reasons," "There's a good chance of missing the larger message: that there are 65 million women above a size 14 in this country who are not self-loathing and not objects of jokes and shtick."

Unfortunately, as we all know too well, fat and women's bodies remains one of the last bastions of acceptable discrimination. "We make comments about weight that we never would about race or sexual orientation..Let`s work for the day when we create leading ladies of all different shapes and sizes without that being the primary issue."

Source:Body Image

post-23-1112355059.gif

it's happening more over here and in EU than over there...dunno if it'll ever happen there, unfortunately.

well he has a point but personally, i'm pleased that she has the nerve to show herself like that. no, i wouldn't watch the show (never watched anything she was in).

What about Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan?

um...well...uh...i don't really like star trek.

*ducks*

:lol:

:lol:

She was finer than frog hair back in the day. :wub:

for sure..in the cheers days she was very nice to look at....i always thought that she (kirsty alley) was a good comedienne too...she`s making bucks out of this fat thing.....but it`s a bit sad in a way..... :)

if she's so damn embarrassed, she should get liposuction--she can afford it.

NO! omg, omg, omg

whoa, what's got into you? you sound very liberal. :)

i'm having fantasies that i still look like i did 25 years ago. :( :lol:

People are too wrapped in in their fear of fat. It's become the socially acceptable group to mock and hate.

Who is a person hurting by being overweight? Other than themselves?

People are too wrapped in in their fear of fat. It's become the socially acceptable group to mock and hate.

it would help if overweight actresses were given roles that had nothing to do w/the fact they were overweight...y'know, like regular people (w/no attention paid to the damn weight)