Best Guitarist Lists...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Maybe i missed it but i didnt see peter frampton

Well, now you do, you just added him. The other list is just to get us started. What we come up with is our own list. I particularly liked Frampton's work with Humble Pie

• 2 weeks later...

hendrix was a great guitarist and made some great sounds but there are so many people who were up there with him and his guitar, if not better! his songs were just the smoothest of the bunch so he came out on top

Well, now you do, you just added him. The other list is just to get us started. What we come up with is our own list. I particularly liked Frampton's work with Humble Pie

I would rate "Rockin' The Fillmore" as one of the better live albums ever!!

:strumma:

• 3 weeks later...
peter f*ing frampton...

lol--go back and listen to humble pie and then you will think differently...

And I just noticed that jazz guitarist John McGlaughlin was rated 49--lol, on a given day, this guy could blow anyone off the stage...

lol--go back and listen to humble pie and then you will think differently...

And I just noticed that jazz guitarist John McGlaughlin was rated 49--lol, on a given day, this guy could blow anyone off the stage...

i have all humble pies live stuff and if any of you don`t think that frampton is any good just listen to humble pie : " live at the whiskey-a-gogo 69 " or " rockin` the fillmore (1971).......

When you think of classic "live" Humble Pie, it's pretty much a given to consider the Performance - Rockin' The Fillmore LP from 1971 -- possibly the pinnacle of the group's output. The little band that could came roaring out of the gate two years earlier. Often referred to as one of the first supergroups to emerge in the late 60s, Humble Pie was a tentative affair with a hybrid mix and a pop sensibility. Steve Marriott, who had made a name for himself in Small Faces, was already gnawing at the bit to unleash his signature yelp with all the soul and fury of a wild dog. Peter Frampton, late of the Herd, molded himself into an A-list guitarist, honing a style and sound that was, and remains, uniquely him. Ex-Spooky Tooth bassist Greg Ridley may have had higher expectations, but 17-year-old drummer Jerry Shirley was probably nothing less than elated at being part of a world-class rock and roll band. With two uneven, yet promising albums under their belts, Humble Pie set out to conquer America in 1969. The tape was rolling in Hollywood and Live At The Whiskey A-Go-Go '69 has finally found its way into the public arena. Even as their fortunes soured upon their return to England, this five-song CD is proof positive that the members of Humble Pie were on their way to bigger and better things.

Live At The Whiskey A-Go-Go '69 vividly captures Humble Pie at a crossroads. Uncharacteristically serene at times, all of the songs but one are lengthy covers that would do their respective composers proud. Although it was mildly received by the Whiskey crowd, the nine-minute, acoustic version of "For Your Love" almost eclipses the Yardbirds for its raw passion and execution. Johnny Kidd's "Shakin' All Over" is classic Pie boogie, highlighted by Frampton's frenetic guitar work.

post-7-1086562853.jpg

Edited by kiwibank

Was John Cippolina from the Quicksilver Messenger Service on this list - if not, he should be.

Was John Cippolina from the Quicksilver Messenger Service on this list - if not, he should be.

no, he isn`t, and yes, he should be

post-7-1086563546.gif

Edited by kiwibank

My bad...he was listed as number 32. I brought up his name again because I want

the younger members to check out Happy Trails... :strumma:

My bad...he was listed as number 32. I brought up his name again because I want

the younger members to check out Happy Trails... :strumma:

completely understandable old bean......it`s for a good cause...the beatking music re-education program :read this:

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

jimi hendrix should not be listed at the top of that list of 100 (half of the others listed shouldn`t be there either in the order that they have been placed in)...he is NOT the greatest guitar player of all time..that claim, in my view is open to debate....Eddie Hazel of Funkadelic (WHO??) at # 43 ahead of frank zappa at # 45?? you must be bloody joking!!!! :mad::mad:

post-7-1107245690.jpg

• 1 month later...

Slash won the Best Guitarist category in the 2005 Esky Music Awards in Esquire Magazine

slash.jpg

He's who we see ourselves as everytime we strap on an air guitar. The top hat. The hair. The dangling cigarette. The near-death experiences. He'll always be Slash of Guns N' Roses to us, but we also congratulate him for beating the comeback odds with a surprisingly legitimate and vital outfit, Velvet Revolver.

Slash accepts the Esky: This is my first guitarist award ever. It's very humbling. I'd like to thank my parents, and I'd also like to thank everyone I've ever fucking worked with in the music business from the point I started at up until now -- the bands I've been in, the sessions I've done, and the artists I've worked with. My wife is at least half of the reason I'm still walking. I'd also like to thank Robert Wolin; he got me to switch from bass to guitar. Thank you.

Source