Best Guitarist Lists...

Here's their list (Thanx, Reg)... Who are they missing?

1. Jimi Hendrix

2 Duane Allman of the Allman Brothers Band

3 B.B. King

4 Eric Clapton

5 Robert Johnson

6 Chuck Berry

7 Stevie Ray Vaughan

8 Ry Cooder

9 Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin

10 Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones

11Kirk Hammett of Metallica

12 Kurt Cobain of Nirvana

13 Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead

14 Jeff Beck

15 Carlos Santana

16 Johnny Ramone of the Ramones

17 Jack White of the White Stripes

18 John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers

19 Richard Thompson

20 James Burton

21 George Harrison

22 Mike Bloomfield

23 Warren Haynes

24 The Edge of U2

25 Freddy King

26 Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave

27 Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits

28 Stephen Stills

29 Ron Asheton of the Stooges

30 Buddy Guy

31 Dick Dale

32 John Cipollina of Quicksilver Messenger Service

33 & 34 Lee Ranaldo, Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth

35 John Fahey

36 Steve Cropper of Booker T. and the MG's

37 Bo Diddley

38 Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac

39 Brian May of Qeen

40 John Fogerty of Creedence Clearwater Revival

41 Clarence White of the Byrds

42 Robert Fripp of King Crimson

43 Eddie Hazel of Funkadelic

44 Scotty Moore

45 Frank Zappa

46 Les Paul

47 T-Bone Walker

48 Joe Perry of Aerosmith

49 John McLaughlin

50 Pete Townshend

51 Paul Kossoff of Free

52 Lou Reed

53 Mickey Baker

54 Jorma Kaukonen of Jefferson Airplane

55 Ritchie Blackmore of Deep Purple

56 Tom Verlaine of Television

57 Roy Buchanan

58 Dickey Betts

59 & 60 Jonny Greenwood, Ed O'Brien of Radiohead

61 Ike Turner

62 Zoot Horn Rollo of the Magic Band

63 Danny Gatton

64 Mick Ronson

65 Hubert Sumlin

66 Vernon Reid of Living Colour

67 Link Wray

68 Jerry Miller of Moby Grape

69 Steve Howe of Yes

70 Eddie Van Halen

71 Lightnin' Hopkins

72 Joni Mitchell

73 Trey Anastasio of Phish

74 Johnny Winter

75 Adam Jones of Tool

76 Ali Farka Toure

77 Henry Vestine of Canned Heat

78 Robbie Robertson of the Band

79 Cliff Gallup of the Blue Caps (1997)

80 Robert Quine of the Voidoids

81 Derek Trucks

82 David Gilmour of Pink Floyd

83 Neil Young

84 Eddie Cochran

85 Randy Rhoads

86 Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath

87 Joan Jett

88 Dave Davies of the Kinks

89 D. Boon of the Minutemen

90 Glen Buxton of Alice Cooper

91 Robby Krieger of the Doors

92 & 93 Fred "Sonic" Smith, Wayne Kramer of the MC5

94 Bert Jansch

95 Kevin Shields of My Bloody Valentine

96 Angus Young of AC/DC

97 Robert Randolph

98 Leigh Stephens of Blue Cheer

99 Greg Ginn of Black Flag

100 Kim Thayil of Soundgarden

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off the top of my head, alot of these guys put some of the guys above to shame!

Stephen Hunter (Lou Reed's Rock & Roll Animal/Detroit)

Pat Metheney (Jazz/Rock)

BBKing/Albert King/Chuck Berry/John Hammond/Albert Collins/John Lee Hooker,etc.

Dave Edmunds (early days)

Mick Taylor

Prince

Funkadelic Guitar Player

Martin Barre

Steve Miller

Bruce Springsteen

Tom Petty

Robin Trower

Robbie Robertson

Dave Navarro

I'll be back to add more...

Wasn't this out a while ago? Hmm... yea, I have the issue right here. Cobain doesn't deserve to be on the list.... if a schmuck like me can play what he played, then no, he does not deserve it. My hand barely fits on the damn guitar.

I've always hated this lists. They come out every few months, are there are so many people who shouldn't be on there. If we are talking about the impact their styles had on the music scene maybe, but if we are going by straight talent, how the hell did Kurt Kobain and Johnny Ramone beet Brian May? or Steve Cropper, Dave Gilmore, Booker T, Bo Didley, Lou Reed, John Foggerty....and the list goes on.

As long as we are on the subject, Hendrix is overrated.

Ive chosen to ignore the rankings...I agree, CD, theyre silly. But I do think its a good idea to have a comopendium of the best guitarists though..so this forum is just a start...

Hendrix...overated guitar!!!!! and frank zappa at 45 and robert fripp at 42?!?!?! wat is up with that

Drakee, you're right, Hendrix doesn't play as good as a lot of guys...but you have to consider he hasn't practiced in about 34 years. If he was alive I expect he'd still be pretty amazing.

:dudeasincool: Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God

Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God

Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God

Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is a Guitar God Hendrix is :dudeasincool:

Ive chosen to ignore the rankings....I do think its a good idea to have a compendium of the best guitarists though..so this forum is just a start...

... i like how you said that ... kinda funny to me how some get a tad bent out of shape when a list is posted, but it's not like any list is the final word or law ... lists really do make for great discussions, finding out what others think, who should be added, or zapped ...

& hendrix ... he could do it all, he was so versatile ... he could play so hard, and at other times, so soft and beautiful, like when he played acoustic ... a natural talent ... i love so many of his songs like little wing ... one rainy wish ... one song he did, long hot summer night, acoustic ... when he gets to the end, he says, awww, i forgot the song ... and that was the end of it ... just kinda makes me smile when i hear it, the real thing ... :rolleyes:

... just look at those fingers ...

post-7-1079299369.jpg