The Myth of Media Violence

DudeAsInCool

Andrew O'Hehir takes a look at 'The myth of media violence' in his review of Harold Schecter's "The Savage Pasttime: A Cultural History of Violent Entertainment."

The Myth of Media Violence

Contrary to the moralistic claims of Hillary Clinton and others, bloody video games and movies are not a major cause of crime. But they are a powerful drug we don't understand.

Read the full article here:

http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2005/03...edia/index.html

Contrary to the moralistic claims of Hillary Clinton

y'know, i'm really hoping she took a page out of bushCo's book and is totally full of shit about this and other topics (hey, if the preznit can bullshit, why not her?)

i am right now waiting until the fucking salon ad runs its course in another mozilla tab so i can read.

These games revel in their pseudo-noir amorality, and they're basically designed to be loathed by parents, school principals and tweedy psychologists.
duhhhhhh... ;-)
"Parents worry their children will not grow up with the same values they did because of the overwhelming presence of the media
imagine how much better it would be w/o any video games &c but w/only the current misadministration's behavior as our guide. :lol:
Psychologists like Pinker, Jonathan Freedman, Jonathan Kellerman and Melanie Moore have counterattacked against their own establishment, arguing, among other things, that violent entertainment provides a valuable fantasy outlet for the inevitable rage of childhood and adolescence, and probably helps more children than it hurts.
*whisper* shhhhhh, it's called 'sublimation' but don't tell anyone.
Gerard Jones: "I'm not going to argue that violent entertainment is harmless," he wrote. "I am going to argue that it's helped hundreds of people for every one it's hurt, and that it can help far more if we learn to use it well. I am going to argue that our fear of 'youth violence' isn't well-founded on reality, and that the fear can do more harm than the reality. We act as though our highest priority is to prevent our children from growing up into murderous thugs -- but modern kids are far more likely to grow up too passive, too distrustful of themselves, too easily manipulated."

What's far more plausible, and more dangerous, is that we'll raise a pack of sedentary, cynical little button-pushing consumption monsters who never go outside. Now that's scary.

the masses don't want to hear that--they wanna blame something/somebody.

very interesting article, Dude.

choice article dude.......i admire her gutsy style and her undoubted intelligence.... but it looks like hillary clinton is reaching out to the conservative vote to me......no doubt with an eye on 2008.... ;) <_>

Edited by kiwibank

i am so hoping she's doing that to pander to the masses (and if elected or whatever, she'll just bullshit about it, back-pedal and do whatever the hell her liberal head wants. liberally).

It's a great plan SG but the conservatives aren't likely to buy it because we already have decided she and Bill are both liars and pieces of shit. She may alienate her voter base without getting the conservative vote. Condi and Rove may then win in 2008. That would be great huh?? :bigsmile:

I just love a story with a happy ending......like the last election. :lol:

It's a great plan SG but the conservatives aren't likely to buy it because we already have decided she and Bill are both liars and pieces of shit.

no, they decided--you and yours just nodded 'duhhhhh, yup!' and drank the kool-aid. :lol:

You're scared to death of the Clintons......BOO! Scurry, little wingnuts....

:lol:

I now know that I sincerely and profoundly despise Hillary Clinton. May she fly over a cliff while havng Lesbo-sex with Ann Coulter.

I will honestly consider leaving the nation if she get the vote in 2008.

Im fascinated as to why people hate the Clintons so much. I find them to be slightly more liberal than the avg middle of the road politiican. So why do you hate her, LOTD...

As Sen. Hillary Clinton explained last week at a forum hosted by the Kaiser Family Foundation, "They're playing a game that encourages them to have sex with prostitutes and then murder them."

And much more. While not as bad as Mr. Bush, I'd rather give her possible competitor the vote before I default with her in '08. I'm not particularly against a woman president, but for this as our first choice, no thanks.

I haven't had sex with a prostitute yet since purchasing the first game. It's not working the way it should. I need to tell Rockstar i want my money back. Or send the Skank over to my house from the other thread.

I now know that I sincerely and profoundly despise Hillary Clinton. May she fly over a cliff while havng Lesbo-sex with Ann Coulter.

I will honestly consider leaving the nation if she get the vote in 2008.

I thought I was the only one that felt that way about her around here, L-O-T-D. If she does die a gruesome death and you have a video of it, please send me a copy. I will enjoy it 4sure.

I am not letting that tramp run me out of the country. I don't travel. :lol:

i always thought that clinton hatred was rethugs' moronic reaction to the fact they had the presidency since 1980 and then lost it. so like spoilt little babies, they hate those who won.

i always thought that clinton hatred was rethugs' moronic reaction to the fact they had the presidency since 1980 and then lost it. so like spoilt little babies, they hate those who won.

I have yet to hear a cogent argument from the anti-Clinton crowd. They usually dont want to get into it :lol: Bring it on!

i know/same here. as well, they can't stand the fact she kept her dignity in the wake of the monica thing (which the nation dint need to hear about but hey). plus she's an intelligent assertive woman (scarey to rethugs).

I think some people are turned off by her focused ambition... but Im disappointed she has gotten into the media frey. Washington should not forget - entertainment is America's biggest export and... people can make up their own minds of what they want to see or hear..so they can all fuck off..

people can make up their own minds of what they want to see or hear..so they can all fuck off..

i thought we weren't grown up enough to do that anymore, hence the FCC's being our new nanny.

what gets me is that they call her (hillary clinton) every foul thing under the sun...you know..tramp, whore, lesbian..all that sort of rubbish...none of it can be proven...it`s all hearsay......whipped up by right wing bigots....but just you badmouth a republican hero or icon..george bush`s mother, for example..and for some reason that`s not acceptable....it needs to be remembered that it was bill clinton that supposedly copped the blow - job......not hillary clinton..she held up remarkably well for all of the years that clinton was being trashed by the american right.... :bigsmile:

what gets me is that they call her (hillary clinton) every foul thing under the sun...you know..tramp, whore, lesbian

Some of my favorite people are tramps, whores or lesbians. As good as I like pussy I just can't find it in my heart to dislike a woman that likes it too. "foul thing" means different things to different people. Those you listed sound like attributes. :lol:

Some of my favorite people are tramps, whores or lesbians.

mine too, amazing! :lol: