Is home cinema a better way to enjoy movies?

Umma

Is home cinema a better way to enjoy movies?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Is home cinema a better way to enjoy movies?

• yes I love my 60" plasma screen, home cinema, gas tv in a corner etc.
    • no I want to go to the movies

I dont think anything can replace the atmosphere of a movie theatre, although these days they aren't what the used to be. Most theatres are small and in complexes that host many screens. Gone are the days of the supporting feature followed by an interval and a lady in the aisles with a trough full of over-priced confectionery... but even so.... going to the cinema is still much more of an event than laying on the sofa with a tv dinner balanced on your chest watching the latest DVD release....

Nothing beats the ambiance of being in a theater and watching a movie on the big screen, even if you have to go at an odd hour to avoid the Republicans and their brain-dead children.

That said, I have a home collection of thousands of movies that I've been recording off movie channels for 2 decades...stuff the theaters will never show, even the niche cinemas.

Going to the movies is more than seeing the movie. It's a first date, a place to get together with buddies and stuff like that. The guy/gal with the big hair or the big head sitting in front of you is part of the "magic" too or even the several noices around you like chips/fat guy farting/people sneaking alcohol and getting drunk/couple kissing or girl telling guy "Stop It!!!".

That can't happen in your living room...

...or can it? :blink:

I don't know.

I don't see the appeal of standing in line with dozens of assholes at a predetermined time (that someone else specifies), going into a dark room with said people, and watching some giant screen with no ability to pause, rewind, or do anything else.

I like more control over what I do.

Nothing beats the ambiance of being in a theater and watching a movie on the big screen, even if you have to go at an odd hour to avoid the Republicans and their brain-dead children.

I like going to the theater too but I go at odd hours just to piss off the liberals. :)

i'll stay at home to watch whatever DVD/vid rather than paying exorbitant prices and dealing w/the public unnecessarily. and y'know, y'can't smoke weed in public. :)

Home Viewing and Theatrical seating each have their plusses and minuses. There are still some grand theaters in Los Angeles where the sound and pic are optimum--but I fear they will go the wayside with the growth of the multi-plex/shitty little theaters.

Home viewing is optimum, however, if it's a one-on-one situation...or if your friends have

a souped up theater... or you're not in the mood to socialize

I think we live in an age where we have a lot of choices and home viewing is only going

to get better

Home viewing is optimum, however, if...you're not in the mood to socialize

bingo! :lol: (unless it's people i first talk to online)