Critics row over US government's 'fake news' video

Critics row over US government's 'fake news' video clips

14.03.05 1.00pm

by Andrew Gumbel

The Bush administration has produced news look-alike video propaganda clips and successfully persuaded television news stations across the country to air them uncritically and, often, uncut. As many as 20 government departments have produced fake news that stations relayed as though they had produced the segments themselves according to the standard rules of journalism, the New York Times reported.

US media critics have always liked to complain about a proliferation of fake news peddling the official line on any given issue. Now, increasingly, their complaints are being vindicated by the behaviour of government officials themselves. In California, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger is at the centre of a growing controversy over precisely the same thing - using public funds to make short pseudo-journalistic films touting controversial policies and passing them on to local television news stations, which have aired them without comment.......

read more......

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=2&ObjectID=10115200

yesterday's NYT article on the same thing (no reg req'd). where's the outrage? *more mirthless laughter*

propaganda is propaganda...they`ve been doing things like this for years...they`re just trying to get the public to accept and validate that fact....it`s a battle for hearts and minds don`t you know........every government has a press unit and the idea is SPIN, SPIN, SPIN to the public.......i used to be employed writing media releases for nz politicians...they bullshit and put their own spin on issues constantly.....most of what is released to joe public is pure rubbish.........

The problem, at least in the United States, is that any public dissent about the spin messages they pound us with is branded as "unpatriotic". The effect of that is to smother any form of investigation into the spin, or outright lies, that the government creates. The media is either sitting on their hands or echoing government talking points. Very few dare to delve into the reality of what this administration is doing.

Because Bush is twice as smart. Crybaby liberals. :wha':

Im not crying. Im not falling for the ignorant meanderings of the George Bush White House, either :lol:

from above NYT article:

In any society where children are encouraged to be inquisitive and find out answers for themselves, this sham journalism would be laughed at. Here, a dazed nod is the response to a propaganda clip masquerading as a news story. After all, once the public has suspended critical thinking, they will buy anything.’

duhhhhhh...me want more preznit to make wars 'n' reward the wealthy.

The only person that gave Clinton any competition in that area was Nixon. Clinton is better at it but Nixon was pretty good. :)

Clinton may have played semantics about whether or not he received a blow job - but that is nothing compared to the electioneering semantics, verbal lies about WMDs, secret meetings with oil executives, legislative payoffs to the credit card companies, and outright thievery with Enron and Haliburton - WTF are you talking about?

Clinton may have played semantics about whether or not he received a blow job - but that is nothing compared to the electioneering semantics, verbal lies about WMDs, secret meetings with oil executives, legislative payoffs to the credit card companies, and outright thievery with Enron and Haliburton - WTF are you talking about?

:lol: i love it.

edit: it's not about WMDs anymore--now it's about spreadin' democracy. :lol: (and the dumbass LCD masses go along w/it)

whenever i see yet another photo of the preznit w/a 'halo' around his head, i just die LOL.

Bush Defends Packaged News Stories from Government

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush said on Wednesday that the U.S. government's practice of sending packaged news stories to local television stations was legal and he had no plans to cease it.

His defense of the packages, which are designed to look like television news segments, came after they were deemed a form of covert propaganda by the Government Accountability Office watchdog agency.

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/story....0&w=RTR&coview=

2. Propaganda must be planned and executed by only one authority.

a. It must issue all the propaganda directives.

b. It must explain propaganda directives to important officials and maintain their morale.

c. It must oversee other agencies' activities which have propaganda consequences

Any of this sounds familar? I wonder who has Karl Rove been studying?

link :rolleyes:

Because Bush is twice as smart.  Crybaby liberals. :wha':

hahaha the few, the proud, the C- average. i'll stay dumb, thank you; i dig it that way. (3,82 GPA) :)

as far as goebbels/rove...i'm waiting for some prominent amerikan to make that comparison in public. now where's that popcorn eating smiley? ah, here it is :I gotta see this:

hahaha the few, the proud, the C- average. i'll stay dumb, thank you; i dig it that way. (3,82 GPA) :)

Us liberals have things in common... Masters with Distinction here... :lol:

nor will it be anyone who values his/her job, unfortunately...s/he'll be labelled a traitor and while iraq burns, the amerikan papers will be hanging his/her ass out to dry.

The only real investigative journalism today is being done by bloggers... The mainstream media is great when it involves National Enquirer or Tabloid junk, like who is fucking or blowing who - but when it comes to real investigative journalism, even when they do a good job the public doesnt seem to care... Bush could mow down people in the streets of Washington and probably get away with it..