Sharpton's Idea

DudeAsInCool

Do you think the United States FCC should issue a 90-day television/radio ban on any artist that is engaged in violent altercations?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the United States FCC should issue a 90-day television/radio ban on any artist that is engaged in violent altercations?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe if it were non-govermental

alsharpton.jpg

BY TRACY CONNOR and BILL HUTCHINSON

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

The Rev. Al Sharpton is calling for a 90-day ban on radio and TV airplay for any performer who uses violence to settle scores or hype albums.

Read more here:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/local/stor...9p-246209c.html

It's not like the album wouldn't still be in stores. They just wouldn't be getting airtime if they went around being/glamourizing the thug life.

although i understand where he`s coming from on gangsta/thug/corporate street garbage culture......and the violence and hype associated with this sort of music..and also agree with some of his reasoning.... (we have the same issues down here in nz).....the reverend al needs to take a reality check...what he advocates is not really possible...it`s the thin edge of the wedge in a society where civil liberties are daily under seige...... <_>

i'm against banning as well and wonder if this is another of sharpton's schemes to pander to (white) electorate and to further his political career.

i'm against banning as well and wonder if this is another of sharpton's schemes to pander to (white) electorate and to further his political career.

I think he was referring to people involved with shootouts, etc, that profit off of their thuggery... I think what he was proposing was a moritorium

In principle, Im against banning - it should not happen in a free society

I don't know what his motives are but do you really think he is pandering to get white votes?? I don't. I don't think he will get very many white votes either but I sure haven't ran a survey to find out.

this is the idea i got up to 2001, mostly from my sister who went to school w/him. she says 'he's still the same as he was back then' (he ran for prez of the student body and other pos'ns). apart from going on that (emotionally), i haven't a clue.

I voted no. While the intent of the idea is good, I don't want a government organization involved. If an artist misbehaves, let the record company and radio/TV venues for his music place some restrictions on his product.

• 2 weeks later...

Sharpton complains to FCC about rap music

March 24, 2005  |  Washington -- The Rev. Al Sharpton, upset about violence in rap music, asked the Federal Communications Commission on Thursday to punish artists and radio stations connected with violent acts.

Artists connected to such acts should be denied airplay on radio and television for 90 days, he told reporters after meeting with FCC Chairman Kevin Martin and two other commissioners.

http://www.salon.com/ent/wire/2005/03/24/sharpton/print.html

Tut-tut Al. I can't support the notion of sanctions based on words alone.

I thought he sought action against artists that were caught in criminal endeavours.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

YES, DO IT! But, I also think CEO's of companies caught pilfering millions should be hung publicly. If I rob the Pizza guy, I'm going to prison. If some executive steals millions from thousands of people he gets his hand slapped.

If I point a gun at somebody, I go to prison. If a rap artist points a gun at somebody, he goes platinum. Fuck that. No more elevation of criminals to elitist status. No more fucking elite.

Viva la revolucion! :fight:

what shithea--i mean what EC said, EXACTLY. :)