Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (1977)

DudeAsInCool

#25 Rumours

Fleetwood Mac (1977)

The sixth-best-selling album of all time owed its success to Fleetwood Mac's willingness to turn private turmoil into gleaming, melodic public art. The band's two romantic couples -- bassist John and singer-keyboard player Christine McVie, who were married; guitarist Lindsey Buckingham and vocalist Stevie Nicks, who were not -- broke up during the protracted sessions for Rumours. This lent a highly charged, confessional aura to such songs as Buckingham's "Go Your Own Way," Nicks' "Dreams," Christine's "Don't Stop" and the group-composed anthem to betrayal, "The Chain." The Mac's catchy exposes, produced with California-sunshine polish, touched a nerve; Rumours, a landmark Seventies pop album, ruled Billboard's album chart for thirty-one weeks.

Total album sales: 19 million

Peak chart position: 1

Rolling Stone.com

• 2 weeks later...

some F. Mac trivia for ya all...actually the Rumours album was in the making much earlier than is known.

Their is a bootleg from 1975 called: Who's The New Girl.

It features both Bob Welch and Tommy Bolin's guitar work on certain tracks, with Christine McVie & Stevie Nicks trading vocals.

The Rumours tunes were in their infancy and being 'fleshed out' before a live studio audience.

Kinda sounds like a bridge between the Old F. Mac and the New F. Mac

Google it ...by title for more info..or you can find some of it on soulseek and other P2p sites. worth a listen :D

...actually most people feel that their were 3 F. Macs

The Peter Green era

The Danny Kirwan/Jeremy Spencer/ Bob Welch era

and The Nicks / Buckingham era

My personal favorite albums were Mystery to Me... Bare Trees.. & Future Games ...from the middle era.

Usually overlooked gems.

The last Fleetwood mac album, which didn't have Christine McVie ( who has retired), was outstanding. If you haven't heard it, give it a listen. The title is Say You Will

I've heard some of this. It's not bad, but it sounds like it's missing something. Which in fact it is. Ms. McVie was a valuable part of the band, and I miss her.

Rainbow, I didn't get that feeling at all about the album. I found it to be extremely intense and well crafted with much more life than the last live performances I'd seen with Christine McVie. She was obviously getting tired of the band and the lifestyle. This is Lindsey Buckingham's band now and he did exceptional work in shaping this product. He retooled some songs that Stevie Nicks had left with him, adding a huge wall of sound to the raw songs she had. Give it another listen....it's a dandy. I even paid money for it, lol.