Chuck Berry - The Greatest 28 (1982)

DudeAsInCool

#21 The Great Twenty-Eight

Chuck Berry (1982)

In the latter half of the fifties, guitarist, singer and songwriter extraordinaire Berry released a string of singles that defined the sound and spirit of rock & roll. "Maybellene," a fast, countryish rocker about a race between a Ford and a Cadillac, kicked it all off in 1955, and one classic hit followed another, each powered by Berry's staccato, country-blues-guitar gunfire: "Roll Over Beethoven," "School Day," "Rock and Roll Music," "Sweet Little Sixteen," "Johnny B. Goode," "Back in the U.S.A." What was Berry's secret? In the maestro's own words, "The nature and backbone of my beat is boogie, and the muscle of my music is melodies that are simple." This collection culls the best of that magic from 1955 to 1965.

Total album sales: Under 500,000

Rolling Stone.com

• 1 year later...

On my computer tonight, can't believe no one has replied to your Chuck Berry. Chuck Berry virtually invented rock & roll guitar. Johnny B. Goode licks are right beneath the surface of every guitar solo there is. My favorite Berry song is Sweet Little Sixteen. I did it last week in a karaoke bar. People went wild. It may have been the first time they heard it. I am in Nashville and live on the campus of Vanderbilt University. I am working on a book of song lyrics and a book of essays. Another song I like by Chuck is Nadine. You never hear it much. It came out in 1964 after The Beatles named him as a major influence.

post-37-1114756860.jpg

Edited by Jim Colyer

• 1 year later...

Johnny B. Goode

School Days

Roll Over Beethoven

Chuck Berry - You Can't Catch Me (1956)

"Oh Baby Doll" - Chuck Berry

Etta James & Cuck Berry - Rock n' Roll Music

My ding a ling

Chuck Berry w/ Stevie Ray Vaughan & Thorogood