Maggs in Motown: Tigers give Ordonez huge contract

Yoda

February 7, 2005, at 04:28 PM ET

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Detroit, MI (Sports Network) - Taking a chance on an injured player from last year, the Detroit Tigers held a news conference on Monday to announce the signing of free agent rightfielder Magglio Ordonez. His contract is reportedly worth $75 million over five years and could escalate to $105 million over seven seasons if options are exercised.

The Tigers could reportedly void the deal after the 2005 season if Ordonez should spend 25 days or more on the disabled list due to problems with his left knee. Ordonez, who just turned 31, had two surgeries on the knee last season.

"There is still some concern until he goes out there, day in and day out for an extended period; so you want to do whatever you can to protect yourself," Tigers president, CEO and general manager Dave Dombrowski said. "We thought that was important in this case." A four-time All-Star, Ordonez was limited to a career-low 52 games last season for the Chicago White Sox and batted .292 with nine home runs and 37 RBI. The New York Mets were also pursuing Ordonez, who is a career .307 hitter with 187 home runs and 703 RBI in eight major-league seasons, all with the White Sox.

"I think in fairness to everybody, we wanted to make sure that we entered into an agreement with the team that we were going to be able to fulfill the contract through performance," Ordonez' agent, Scott Boras, said.

One downfall for Ordonez is his past performances at Comerica Park, home of the Tigers. His career average in the ball park is .259 with one homer and 13 RBI.

Tigers manager Alan Trammell said Ordonez would likely bat clean-up with Dmitri Young expected to be the No. 5 man in the lineup. One problem the Tigers may have now is too many outfielders, and speculation has been growing that the team would try to trade Bobby Higginson.

"It's still a little early. You never know what might happen," Trammell said.

"I like going into spring training with having maybe a little extra. Magglio, of course, is going to play. Things have a way of working themselves out, as will be the case here." This marks the second impact free agent signing for the Tigers this off- season, as they inked closer Troy Percival to a two-year, $12 million contract in November.

Read More...

Dude cough cough

I requested one awhile ago. If you guys want me to stop posting them I will I just thought maybe it would bring some talk.