Super Patriots win third championship

DudeAsInCool

CollegeHumor.com on the Superbowl:

Super Bowl Sunday is once again drawing near, and unlike Superman or Super Nintendo, this day is actually great. What to watch for? I’m no Terry Bradshaw, but these storylines could be huge in the big game.

God healed Terrell Owens:Apparently I misread the entire Bible, and when Jesus said, “Love thy neighbor,” he meant, “Be thou an egocentric, homophobic asshole. As long as thou can breakest away from double coverage.” And we’d been making fun of Christian Scientists for listing God as their health insurance. Just don’t call it the “Holy HMO,” it sounds too much like “homo.”

The halftime show will offer few surprises. The NFL just axed Latino rock sensations Los Lonely Boys because their drummer was caught carrying a joint. Instead, we’re being treated to convicted international drug smuggler Paul McCartney, the man responsible for Wings. Because in America’s heartland, it’s not your crimes that matter; it’s whether or not you’re white.

Philly fans take things a bit too seriously. I live in Philly, and 85% of my Catholic neighbors say they’d be willing to see the Pope’s medical condition deteriorate from “stable” to “dead” if it ensured an Eagles win.

Tom “Jan” Brady is pretty good. The announcers aren’t going to let you forget this one, even if it means exaggerating a bit. Before kickoff, they’ll treat you to the story of how Brady cured cancer and wrote the classic song “Blame it on the Rain.” Plus, he was a Gap model! Then again, so was Sarah Jessica Parker, so apparently you don’t have to be attractive to get that gig.

Final Score: Eagles 31-24. I don’t know if it will happen, but if I didn’t make this pick, two guys named “Rocko” from South Philly are going to break my thumbs. Ordinarily not a big deal, but Dr. God’s surgery schedule looks pretty tight this week.

Update by Ethan on Feb. 5th, 2005

http://www.collegehumor.com/

Bold Brady still hungers for Super success

Fri Feb 4, 7:07 AM ET

By Tom Pedulla, USA TODAY

New England Patriots (news) owner Robert Kraft will never forget the young man who approached him as he left old Foxboro (Mass.) Stadium in June 2000 at the end of a day of minicamp.

"We haven't met. I'm Tom Brady."

"I know who you are," Kraft replied. "You're from Michigan, and you're our sixth-round draft choice." "Yes," Brady said, "and I'm the best decision this organization has ever made."

Kraft smiled and moved on, but the confidence and determination conveyed by the 199th player taken in that year's draft - a pick coach Bill Belichick felt offered too much value to be ignored - will always stay with him. The owner told his family that night about the self-assuredness of a quarterback who was not at all certain to survive the roster cuts.

Kraft delights in the retelling, with Brady about to lead New England against the Philadelphia Eagles (news) in Super Bowl XXXIX with a chance for the Patriots' third NFL title in four years. The two-time Super Bowl MVP, playing with a heavy heart after the death of his 94-year-old grandmother Wednesday, would be 9-0 in postseason starts. (Related item: Brady's grandmother dies)

If the youngest quarterback to win two Super Bowls delivers again, at 27, the drumbeat to compare him to boyhood idol Joe Montana and stamp him as a Hall of Famer after four seasons as a starter will intensify.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=...ccess&printer=1

Date With Dynasty: Super Bowl XXXIX

LAST UPDATE: 2/6/2005 11:44:07 AM

Tony Moss -NFL Editor

(Sports Network) - A place in NFL history will be among the sumptuous rewards for either the New England Patriots or Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday night, as the two prominent members of the NFL elite meet in Super Bowl XXXIX at Jacksonville's ALLTEL Stadium.

The Patriots, champions of the AFC, will be vying for their third Super Bowl title in four years, a feat that has previously been achieved by only the 1992-95 Dallas Cowboys. New England, which is a perfect 8-0 in the playoffs under head coach Bill Belichick, was a 32-29 winner over Carolina in Super Bowl XXXVIII, and previously earned a 20-17 victory against St. Louis in Super Bowl XXXVI. The Patriots are attempting to become the first team since the 1997-98 Denver Broncos to claim back-to-back titles, and with a win would become the seventh franchise to have three Super Bowl victories to its credit.

The Pats' postseason road included decisive victories over Indianapolis (20-3) in an AFC Divisional Playoff and Pittsburgh (41-27) in the AFC Championship.

The Eagles, meanwhile, have finally found a spot on the Super Bowl stage after sustaining three consecutive conference championship game heartbreaks from 2001 to 2003. Philadelphia's 27-10 triumph over Atlanta in the 2004 NFC title game sent the franchise to the Super Bowl for the first time since the 1980 season, with the 24-year hiatus ranking as the second-longest gap in appearances in league annals. Andy Reid's squad will be contending for what would be the franchise's first-ever Lombardi Trophy, as well as the first major sports championship for the City of Philadelphia since the 76ers won the 1983 NBA title. The Eagles won three NFL titles in the pre-Super Bowl era, earning the crown in 1948, 1949 and 1960.

In addition to the aforementioned win over the Falcons, Philly's 2004 postseason ledger includes a 27-14 victory over Minnesota in an NFC Divisional Playoff.

http://www.woai.com/news/national/story.as...B3-B622B91F2342

By BARRY WILNER, AP Football Writer

February 6, 2005

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) -- Dynasties don't have to be perfect or pretty. They just have to win -- like the New England Patriots.

The Patriots won their third Super Bowl in four years with a dominant second half Sunday night, wearing down the Philadelphia Eagles 24-21.

It wasn't overpowering, and at times it was downright ugly. But it was more than enough to match the Dallas Cowboys' run of the 1990s and certify the Patriots of Bill Belichick and Tom Brady as the NFL's latest dynasty.

``To me this trophy belongs to these players,'' Belichick said. ``They met all comers this year, a very challenging year. We're thrilled to win. These players played great all year, their best in the big games and they deserve it, they really deserve it.''

With MVP Deion Branch tying a Super Bowl record for receptions with 11, Brady efficiently running the offense and Rodney Harrison sparking a smothering defense, the Patriots (17-2) won their ninth successive postseason game. That ties the record of Vince Lombardi's Packers of the 1960s, and there's hardly any better company a team can keep.

The difference once again was an Adam Vinatieri field goal, this one a 22-yarder with 8:40 to go. New England won its other two Super Bowls by the margin of Vinatieri's last-second kicks.

This time, the Patriots sealed it with a stop.

Philadelphia (15-4) got the ball back at its 4 with 46 seconds remaining. It was hardly enough time and far too much territory to cover against such a formidable foe.

Harrison got his second interception with 9 seconds remaining to end it.

Playing before a sea of mostly green jerseys in the crowd of 78,125, the Patriots made sure Philadelphia would not get its first pro sports title since 1983. Indeed, it's been 45 years since the Eagles won the NFL crown. And even though they made it to the Super Bowl for the first time in 24 seasons -- after three straight conference championship flops -- their season still ended in disappointment.

Corey Dillon, a newcomer to the championship game, scored the go-ahead points on a 2-yard run early in the fourth period. And when Branch wasn't running free and catching passes, the Patriots flaunted their versatility by again using linebacker Mike Vrabel to find the end zone.

Vrabel has caught TD passes in two straight Super Bowls and has five TDs in as many career catches, not bad for a linebacker -- or anyone else.

Brady wasn't as fluid as he was when he won the MVP awards in the 2002 and 2004 games, but he was on-target much of the time, finishing 23-for-33 for 236 yards and two TDs.

Read More...

patriots.gif

The New England Patriots are indeed an efficient, disciplined and well coached football team. I also read a lot about how even though they have no "star players" that they are still a great team collectively.

I disagree. They are a great team collectively with STAR players on their roster. They're not the average Joes that form a strong collective. They're star players that form a strong collective team that at times cannot be stopped at all.

Who can honestly say that Brady, faced with pressure and adversity (including a fumble), and still coming back time and time again UNFAZED to win that game, is not a STAR player? He is. The same can be said for many many many players on that team (ahem, BRANCH TIES NFL RECORD; MVP OF S.B.) They are that damn good, and I take offense to QB comparisons especially; Brady is the 2nd best QB in the NFL (behind only the soon-to-be legend Manning), not McNabb, not Brees, not Hasselbeck, not Culpepper, not even Farve (who I rank 3rd or 4th even at his age).

I'm NOT a patriots fan. Not by a long shot. But even I can see this.

They were a better team than the Eagles on both sides of the ball.

P.S. – The NFC is weak, especially the west. If, let's say, my home town team the Buffalo Bills played in that division, they'd win it practically every year (even with their recent bad seasons). They would have this year.

Edited by Ken

Could McNabb possibly throw another interception?

His passes looked wobbley and weak for some reason.

He's had his moments where he'd impress me (the Dallas game with the classic Farvesque "against the grain" moment).

However, I've never seen him as a dominant QB.

The NFC is weak, especially the west.

Thats why a team from that division will make it next year.. maybe not yet superbowl but will make playoffs.

:fight: