war of the worlds

tomcruise.jpgStart of Production Set in November for 2005 Film Release

HOLLYWOOD, Calif., Aug. 16 /PRNewswire/ -- Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks announce today a November 2004 start for the "The War of the Worlds," directed by Steven Spielberg and starring Tom Cruise. An Amblin'Entertainment and C/W Productions film, "The War of the Worlds," will be a 2005 release. .

Kathleen Kennedy and Paula Wagner serve as the film's producers and the screenplay is by David Koepp ("Spiderman," "Panic Room," "Jurassic Park"). Distribution arrangements have yet to be finalized.

Based on H.G. Wells' legendary science fiction classic, The War of the Worlds (published in 1898), the Spielberg-directed film is a modern day version of what many critics agree is the definitive model for alien invasion stories.

Read entire story here.

The War Of The Worlds was a great book, a great radio special by Orson Welles (Which sent pre-TV/satellite hookup America into a fearful frenzy), and a great early-1950's movie starring Gene Barry. I bet this one will be a dandy too.

NOOOOOOOO!!!!

Don't let Spielberg do it! NOOOOOO!!!!!

It'll end up being Episode 2: Return of the war of the world's (super special ultra enhanced editon with the best special effects in the history of mankind but in reality, no).

Haven't any of you seen the South Park episode with Spielberg and George Lucas?

Nightmare I tells ya!

• 5 months later...

It wasn't in black and white.

Hehe... me too. I didn't know it was in color until my teen years.

It's one of my favorite movies.

When the martian puts his hand on the girl and she turns around.. whoa... one of the jumpiest moments in film history.

Trailer did look good. Spielberg is a better filmmaker when he is in the sci-fi genre...he seems more at home than he does with dramatic stuff

this was a brilliant version of " war of the worlds "....

A double album *rock musical* version of H.G. Wells' sci-fi classic, "The War Of The Worlds"? Many people would laugh at such an idea. But in 1978, musician/songwriter/producer Jeff Wayne actually did it, and created one of rock's most supreme concept albums. Although the album has always been much more popular in Britain and other parts of Europe (even having a multi-year UK album-chart run rivaling Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon"), it nonetheless has a strong cult following in North America.I first became aware of the "War Of The Worlds" album a little over a decade ago, when I discovered that Justin Hayward, the lead singer for The Moody Blues (one of my all-time favorite bands) was singing on it. Curious, I picked up a vinyl copy of the album at a used record store, dropped the needle on Side One, and I was instantly hooked. I'd never heard anything like it before. The way the Martian-invasion narrative is brilliantly sustained from beginning to end, and, of course, Jeff Wayne's incredible music score that matches it. No question about it, "War Of The Worlds" is quite an acheivement. 22 years after it's initial release, the album still sounds just as fresh & exciting now as it did back then. A true classic.Besides the legendary, commanding voice of Richard Burton as the album's narrator, Jeff Wayne's stunning music rocks ("Horsell Common & The Heat Ray"), rouses ("Brave New World"), has incredible beauty ("Forever Autumn"), and, at turns, is effectively eerie ("The Red Weed"). The musicianship that Wayne has ensembled for the album is first-rate, from great singers like Justin Hayward, David Essex, Thin Lizzy's Phil Lynott & Julie Covington, to incredible musicians like Jo Partridge, Herbie Flowers, Chris Spedding, and Jeff Wayne himself. The album has amazing moods, atmospherics & sound effects, and the surprise twist at the album's end still gives me goosebumps to this day! There's no doubt in my mind that H.G. Wells himself would've been very happy, indeed, with this powerful musical treatment of his story.

B0000025CO.01

Edited by kiwibank

I first became aware of the "War Of The Worlds" album a little over a decade ago, when I discovered that Justin Hayward, the lead singer for The Moody Blues (one of my all-time favorite bands) was singing on it. 

Besides the  from great singers like Justin Hayward,

Kiwibank...You have great taste in music!! The Moody Blues are one of my all-time favorites too.... Justin Hayward did a BEAUTIFUL job singing "Forever Autumn". I also own that version of "War of the Worlds", both on vinyl and cd.

I too saw the ad for the movie.....it looks like it might be good....

"Plan 9 From Outer Space"

must be the cheesiest sci-fi film ever made but w/a huge cult following.

yes, that shower curtain thing! :lol:

cheesy as in an advanced alien spacecraft with the pilot's area separated from the passenger area by what looks to be a shower curtain....

You need something to prevent the water from splashing from one end of the ship to the other in case it springs a leak while flying through a thunderstorm. :)