Selling Soap & Classic Rock

DudeAsInCool

Still in Play

Selling out or selling soap, classic rock gets a new spin as the modern ad jingle

BY CHIP JONES

TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

Jan 30, 2005

If you could travel back in time to the late 1960s and landed outside the recording studio of the Jefferson Airplane, it might, as they used to say, "blow your mind."

Imagine giving the band's lead singer, Grace Slick, a glimpse of the future, such as the ultimate fate of their song "Volunteers of Amerika" which proclaimed in 1969, "Look what's happening out in the streets/Got a revolution got to revolution." The song was considered so seditious that their record company refused to put the complete title on the album. Eventually the title was cut to "Volunteers."

That was only the start. "One day," you tell the shocked singer, "your song will be used in TV commercials to sell stock for a company called E*Trade and cell phones for something called nTelos."

Read more here:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satel...d=1031780532392

anything for a buck.

Even Redneck would go for this one.....

HERE COMES THE SUN. Sure, this Beatles tune from "Abbey Road" has a sunny ring to it, but why not put it to work for a slightly different cause like Remington Arms Co.?

Here comes the gun/Here comes the gun/ It's all-right!

what`s next for goodness sake??.....cream doing : " sunshine of your beretta " at their reunion concert, or " i feel free (thanks to citibank) "......and an encore of a selection of tracks from " disraeli gears (lubricated by standard oil) "....FUCK!!!!

If you could travel back in time to the late 1960s

i wouldn't. punkt, ende. (unless i could bring my teenage body back w/me) :)

ps, i'm still having trouble coping w/the 'aging bands' thing. :lol: