Inclusions & Additions

Guest .::BeatFactory::.

I am just curious, but who here (of the people who are most likely to run this site beginning Nov. 25) knows php coding or knows someone who does?

I was just wondering in case you guys wanted to add new features to the site or whatever because, althought I may be able to help, I can't dedicate too much time to it.

Please also list what (any members) you think should be added to this site because ... it IS a community site for the members (and soon BY the members).

Sorry, I'm a technical moron lol . I think the categories you chose are good. Eventually, I see each of these topics taking on a life of their own. I want to study some other sites first, before I suggest any content additions; but off the top of my head, a section for new bands/new music would be cool. I like the ZP feature where you can see what all the members are reviewing. Also, a chat room. Maybe some charts about whats popular in music genre wise. But I'm more curious as to what your vision is/was: as the creator, I'd like to build on that...

Sorry, same deal as Dude, I can view the source and understand what you've done to perhaps replicate it enough for a new forum branch but I'd rather not be in the position to try. The only site I ever made looked bad even to me. I'm under the impression that Yoda can do some, if not I know of a few others we could ask beyond yourself.

I like Dude's idea of another area for section for new bands/new music, and I'd also suggest a branch inside the download section for member creations...there always seems to be a few people at every forum that create a bit of music.

I'd also suggest a branch inside the download section for member creations...there always seems to be a few people at every forum that create a bit of music.

Good idea, CP.--eventually we can feature new musicians all the time.

Here are some new ideas for forums:

Beatking Music Forums (Retitle and add the following categories)

• New Releases (Beatking Picks of the Weeks would have a star or rainbow asteric)

• Poet's Corner (Lyrics)

• Musician's Beat (What musicians are listening to)

• New Bands/Solo Performers (with sample cuts)

• Jazz

• Reggae/Ska

• Alternative/Progressive Rock

• Latin Rock

• DJ's Corner (Compilations, Mixes, etc)

• By Decade (Separate threads eventually for 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s)

• Experimental (instead of other)

I think I'd have separate categories for Disco and Funk and 70s

Beatking Music Beat: What's Happening!

• Whose Touring

• Concert Reviews (Critiics and Membership posts)

• Music on Film and DVD (Reviews and release dates)

• Music on TV

• Music on Radio, Satellite, and Internet

Beatking General Music News

• Interviews

• A column on whats featured in Music Mags

• Critics Corner/Reviews

• Books on Music

• Sex and Music

• Gossip column

Beatking Music and Business

• Business of Music

• Music & Technology

• Top Ten Lists (US and Intl)

• Music and Politics

BeatKing Lounge

• Polls and Contests

• Now Playing (What members are listening to)

• Chat Room

• Hot Topics(Membership thread)

• Kickin It (Community Lounge)

BeatKing Lobby

Downloadables

• Members Music

• Music Videos (free dowloads and links)

• Performer Photos

• Musics Gadgets (Beatking has already started this section, but it needs retitled)

Beatking Fun

• Games

• Comedy Club

Site News

• Mod's Corner (All the Administrative stuff, site developments, and engineering stuff here)

Feedback

• Go Postal: Sound Off: Letters to the Editors

•Links

P2Ps

Performers sites

MTV, VHI, Rolling Stone, NY Times Music, Yahoo Music, MSN Music, AOL Music,

Billboard, etc

Pay Sites: iTunes, Napster, Rhapsody, etc.

******* Anything anyone wanna add?*******Use what fits your vision Beatking.

In terms of other members, we will get there. I think the Beatking signature link is a good idea for promotion, and we need some more ideas to market the site. I'd love to get some of the ZP pranksters in here--Moonman, CSSDude, Ken, who only kills on Tuesday, Bhagdad Steve 15, etc., once we get rolling--they liven things up.

The more people wanna chip in, even better. You will get a community, King, but its just a matter of time.

Edited by DudeAsInCool

Well I dont know the name of much of the code I do. But I know I do HTML. I probly do some PHP. I know lots of code. What exactly are you looking to do?

If its add forums and post news etc. I have worked with this kind of forum (Invision) for a long time now and understand everything about it.

Yeah, I think we should add some new forums, and then set content vision, and the mods to help run it. Love to hear which of the idea were in Beatking's mnd...

Yeah, I think we should round out the forums, and then set guidelines and goals for them, and get some mods (experts or lovers of the field) to help guide them. These categories would eventually have to be modified, so each section can have different threads like at ZP.

If people are agreeable, then we can get our Bitch Yoda to implement :)

Then I think we need to figure out how to get more people here. Love to hear which of the above ideas were in Beatking's mnd...

Yeah, I think we should add some new forums, and then set content vision, and the mods to help run it. Then I think we need to figure out how to get more people here. Love to hear which of the above ideas were in Beatking's mnd...

I don't know code, except for a little very basic html. But I do have the maturity and common sense to moderate. As for getting more people here, I've been spamming all over the place. It's probably going to be a slow growth. But that could be good. That way I think we would get more serious members. Instead of a bunch of people who sign up on impulse and never come back.

That would be great Rainbow. I come from the content world, and have been involved with some websites before, so thats why I think in terms of the content. It sounds like we are all coming together on this... I also think we should be mellow about the build... good things take time... and this is a hobbyfor all of us..

I really like your suggestions Dude, well I didn't know there was a British scene but oh well, heh some of that is great stuff. ie. the top lists, concert reviews, touring info.

It would be nice to get that stuff implemented, but it will account for around 200% more forum categories, so unless Beatfactory is feeling heroic, some may take time to implement.

edited - Could;d you implement some/all of that Beatfactory? If it's too much, let us know so we could whittle it down.

I really like your suggestions Dude, well I didn't know there was a British scene but oh well, heh some of that is great stuff. ie. the top lists, concert reviews, touring info.

It would be nice to get that stuff implemented, but it will account for around 200% more forum categories, so unless Beatfactory is feeling heroic, some may take time to implement.

edited - Could;d you implement some/all of that Beatfactory? If it's too much, let us know so we could whittle it down.

I'm not able to at the moment because I'm writing a paper for class, but I will re-arrange and sort/add the forums sometime this weekend before Monday night :D

Don't feel any pressure to do so right away, Beatking. Really they are suggestions at this point--choose the ones that you like. How hard would it be to get a chat room going--this might be useful so we can all put our heads together...

Great. You can post new threads in the Music News and General News sections. These automatically post on the front page. Thanks for chipping in!

Nice work, Beatking. I think the forum section on music categories (with Jazz, etc) is definitely improved. Im just sor t of cruising around the site checking out the new categories. Any thoughts on the new layout, guys? Do we have too many categories, or is it working for you? Also, can old threads such as some of the Polls be moved to the new Polls section, and how do you do that, if that's possible? I always thought that some news items at ZP would be better in some of the forums and wondered if they could be posted there after their news run.