Punk rock grows up

Lord_of_the_Dense

The guys in Green Day know how to make an entrance.

Billie Joe Armstrong, the band's frontman and guitarist, and bassist Mike Dirnt bounce into a hotel room with smiles and handshakes at the ready. No sooner have they said hello than, as if on cue, a door dividing the bed and bath areas swings open and drummer Tre Cool literally leaps in, flashing a bug-eyed grin that brings to mind a friendlier version of Jack Nicholson's character in The Shining. Gotcha!

It's a fitting greeting from three musicians who have surprised many people recently. Green Day emerged on the pop scene more than a decade ago with Dookie, a collection of scrappy nuggets that helped keep punk's spirit alive after Kurt Cobain's suicide. But in contrast to their brooding, grunge predecessors, the Oakland-based band reveled in a barely post-adolescent irreverence. When this reporter last interviewed them, in 1995, the subject of nose-picking came up - as did several, um, phlegm balls from Armstrong's throat.

But there is to be no spitting or potty talk this afternoon. Armstrong and his bandmates may still sport spiky hair and spew goofy jokes, but as Sean Ross of Edison Media Research notes, "Boogers have become someone else's territory." While Green Day-influenced groups such as Good Charlotte and Sum 41 supply radio with tunes about growing pains and pranks and their peers make news with microphone mishaps and wardrobe malfunctions, the members of Green Day - now all in their early 30s, with children - are channeling their energy into more adult concerns.

Read entire story here.

i laugh at green day (and mislike their music); one of the reasons being they said the clash hadn't mattered and then i saw them on 'late night w/jools holland' when paul simenon and mick jones were featured as well (small tribute to joe strummer) and they were like practically bowing down to them :lol:

I was into their pre-Dookie records, and like an asshole eschewed their Dookie concert when it rolled through town.

What an asshole. I should have gone. So "Longview" was on Mtv; big deal.

I've always regretted that.

To be honest, though, I don't know much about their stuff after Dookie. I was on to different stuff. One day I'll look into it.

the other night, i sat through like almost two hours of bullshit (reality TV hosted by Nadia fr Big Bro') to see the 'i'm a celebrity' clip w/him in it; i love that he's like a national treasure here.

Completely unrelated to the Green Day banter, but in line with the title of the thread, ol Johnny Rotton Lydon turned 49 today...

Rust never sleeps...

they ran a late news item down here on old johhny`s 49th last night...a very smart boy but what a sell-out and what an asshole...but i sure liked the sex pistols and i sure like public image and i just love " the warrior " and " rise "..... :lol:

PUBLIC IMAGE LIMITED lyrics - "Warrior"

Fields they have eyes

Woods they have ears

Fish always sink

Head first downward

I'll never dismount

I ride the tiger

Crosses are ladders

Leading to heaven

Keep the candle burning

Bright in the window

It's the only light

I'll see tonight

Beggars can't be choosers

Shrouds have no pockets

Some of us wake up

Others roll over

Hear the dog bark

Watch the trees sway

Keep the candle burning

Both night and day

Many invade

I take no quarter

This is my land

I'll never surrender.....

post-7-1107328190.jpg

what an asshole...

that's one of the things i love about him, he makes my assholery look almost normal. :lol: as far as being a sell-out, all i can say is YOU. GO. JOHN. :)