Reggaeton

Guest .::BeatFactory::.

Reggaeton has been blowing up big lately. It can be heard on urban radio stations, and in Houston, is a major factor behind the new young-latino oriented Mega 101 (KLOL-FM). It's a relatively new genre originating from Puerto Rico that in my opinion can be compared to a techno or dance type genre because of the repetitive beats and drums between each song. This is an article from MusicOfPuertoRico.com:

Reggaeton is a relatively new genre of dance music that has become popular in Puerto Rico over the last decade. The name is derived from the reggae music of Jamaica which influenced reggaeton's dance beat. Reggaeton was also heavily infuenced by other Puerto Rican music genres and by urban hip-hop music craze in the United States.

The variety of musical influences on the development of reggaeton led one observer (James Farber of the NY Daily News) to call it a "cultural polyglot".

As is the case with hip-hop music in the United States, reggaeton appeals primarily to youths. In Puerto Rico, youths were inspired to create reggaeton, after hearing Panamanian artists performing raps in Spanish styled after Jamaican dance-hall raps, adding native bomba and salsa, rhythms.

Reggaeton is closely associated with the "underground" movement of urban youth and is sometimes also referred to in Spanish as "perreo", meaning "doggie"; a term describing a common reggaeton dance move that evokes a sexual position.

The reggaeton genre has also become popular in other Caribbean islands and neighboring nations, including the Dominican Republic, Perú, Venezuela, Colombia, Mexico, Panama and Nicaragua. More recently, it has surfaced in the United States, particularly in those urban areas with large concentrations of Puerto Ricans or other Hispanics, such as New York and Miami.

The explosion in reggaeton's popularity in Latino urban centers have prompted some to speculate that the genre will soon eclipse salsa, merengue and other pop music among Puerto Rican and other Hispanic youth. In part, this might be due to lyrics on isues and subjects of interest to those audiences: urban crime, sex and racism; issues which have similarly made hip-hop music so popular.

Currently, the leading exponents of reggaeton include Tego Calderón, Queen Ivy, Don Chezina and Daddy Yankee, but the explosive growth in the genre's popularity promises to bring many new artists to the dance halls and discotheques and thereby, to the forefront of the urban youth culture.

I would also like to add artists and tracks to listen to such as Don Omar ("Otra Noche"), Daddy Yankee ("Gasolina"), Noreaga ("Oye Mi Canto") & Tego Calderon ("Pa' Que Retozen"). Artists that get featured in reggaeton songs include Pitbull, NINA Sky, & Chingo Bling, among many, many others. You can also look for any recent top hip-hop song to have a reggaeton remix. Examples include 50 Cent's "Disco Inferno" Reggaeton remix and Alicia Key's "Karma" Reggaeton remix.

Edited by .::BeatFactory::.

I've personally made my own Disco Inferno remix that IMO and others opinion is better than any other they've heard out there (just because it goes so well with the track). I'll post it up whenever I get my PC back from home.

Other artists to be mentioned in this arena include Wisin Y Yandel, Hector Y Tito, Zion Y Lennox, Baby Rasta Y Gringo, Ivy Queen, Buddha's Family, Noztra, Mickey Perfecto, BIP, Tempo, Lito Y Polaco, El Mexicano, Nicky Jam, Cheka, N.O.R.E. (aka Noreaga), and Don Chezina.

Look out for them!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Dude, just wanna send you some love from Chicago. Thanks for starting a thread on here regarding reggaeton, cuz somebody needed to do it. I was reading your reggaeton message there, and I noticed you named all the bigger already known names. And I believe that the only reason them catz get big is because of DJ's like you and me.

Being that as it is, I want to let you know of a lesser known artist from here in Chicago that is blowing up the spot real ugly, and I'm helping him BECAUSE HE DESERVES IT! The artists name is Lu Roc and you can find some of his music on iTunes. He's got this single out now called "Representa", and if you listen to it, I think you'll agree that this kids got it. Not to mention, you'll be able to hear the quality of his music (great production by a producer known as B. Heavy a.k.a. DJ Bam Bam). Anyhow, if you put out any mix tapes, you should consider putting his stuff on there because I'm sure it will bump. From what I hear, he's got a full length album coming out soon. If you're interested in playing his music, you can zap him a line at [email protected]. Because of his new-blood status, I know he won't have any problem with licensing his stuff to you free. Peace brotha.

Yeah, they're big now ... notice how I wrote that early 2005? There's plenty more artists coming out now and I'll drop him a line for sure to check his music out.

• 4 months later...

Some new songs to lookout for:

Daddy Yankee - Rompe

Zion & Lennox - Don't Stop

Julio Voltio - Chulin Culin Chunfly

Tego Calderon - Punto Y Aparte

Daddy Yankee - Machucando

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i agree with lil dice , if it wasnt for the djs and producers that worked hard to put thier music out on the street

doing thier thing at the clubs and partys the under ground movement wouldve been dead , thats y i give props to the pioneers of the music like Playero, DJ Negro( The Noise ) and others that helped put out artists that are now dominating the genre , but the only defect is see is since the musics getting more commercial its loosing some of its value , ppl who have been listening to the music for years can tell you , but still there are artists out there that keep it real and represent what they do to the fullest

but i saw a few posts up that N.O.R.E was listed umong some artists , N.O.R.E is not a real reggaeton artist ,

nothign wrong with coming out with a few songs , but theres to many biters out there trying to get a on music just cuase its gettin more well known international , when back in the day or even a few years ago ppl wouldnt ahve given two shits about the reggaeton , now every body wants reggaeton

if any one is interesed in info or songs , or anything old school

my e mail [email protected]

Edited by el mas suelto