Any Thoughts on the Iraq Election?

DudeAsInCool

While I dont think US troops should be there, I think the free elections should be praised... World opinion seems to be also postive, but there are fears that the elections could lead to civil war, or cause other problems throughout the Middle East.

Here are what the readers thought at Slate.com:

http://www.slate.com/id/2112893/

What are your thoughts?

sorry dude.......there are certain aspects of this " free " election that i just can`t agree with...........i don`t know that it`s an argument that i`d like to get into on beatking.....i got into enough shit on a certain other website...for airing views that the excellent yanks (and redneckforsure.... :lol: ) who i talk to daily (like yourselves) just may not understand...

post-91-1107203666.jpg

I'm not sure if you are refering to the same thing Kiwi, but I don't believe in forcing gov'ts on other countries. Not even democracy. If that was the true will of the people they would have overthrown the former gov't and forced one. Democracy wasn't stirring the people as far as I can see.

sorry dude.......there are certain aspects of this " free " election that i just can`t agree with...........i don`t know that it`s an argument that i`d like to get into on beatking.....i got into enough shit on a certain other website...for airing views that the excellent yanks (and redneckforsure.... :lol: ) who i talk to daily (like yourselves) just may not understand...

I doubt you would get any argument here. Im just curious to hear people's view points from around the world. Opinions are kinda biased here... :lol:

The election process was a sham, reflecting the views of only a handful of the people of Iraq...those who we chose to protect enough to allow them to get to the polls and vote. About 11% of the country was brave enough to register....who knows how many actually voted. The figures being floated around, from 60-79%, are no doubt inflated. We've done the same thing before in San Salvadore in the early 80's. There will be plenty more people being blown up in this loosly-wound ball of string, and we're still going to bear the brunt of the anger from the Muslim world. Overall our safety in the United States is much worse now than anytime since 9-11-2001. But Haliburton got lots of business, so it's all OK.

The troops should be there, because them not being there is not a viable option (unless you like civil war), regardless of your opinion on the U.S. administration and your perception of the current situation. It's a catch 22, and you just have to take the best option (which is a presence).

As for the election, I don't think it will change much regarding guerilla attacks. They'll continue. You can’t build water treatment plants, large bridges, and other public goods when they get blown up the same day or the next day. You also can’t encourage the population to kick start their country’s economy when they’re scared to leave their homes because they might be blown up, shot, or have their heads cut off.

Sadly, terrorism/guerilla warfare are undefeated when an even slightly "humane" force is in charge of putting said resistance to rest. Even brutal forces have trouble (Russia).

A client sent me this tidbit from the time capsule:

U.S. Encouraged by Vietnam Vote :

Officials Cite 83% Turnout Despite Vietcong Terror

by Peter Grose, Special to the New York Times (9/4/1967: p. 2)

WASHINGTON, Sept. 3-- United States officials were surprised and heartened today at the size of turnout in South Vietnam's presidential election despite a Vietcong terrorist campaign to disrupt the voting.

According to reports from Saigon, 83 per cent of the 5.85 million registered voters cast their ballots yesterday.  Many of them risked reprisals threatened by the Vietcong.

The size of the popular vote and the inability of the Vietcong to destroy the election machinery were the two salient facts in a preliminary assessment of the nation election based on the incomplete returns reaching here.

Most of us here have the same opinion on that "election" so I won't bother posting the same thing again but another thing to watch is the Kurdish situation.

During Saddam's leadership, he gave them "kind of" independence. He couldn't do otherwise because he couldn't handle another war. The Kurdish had their own goverment and they controlled their region. Everybody was satisfied and that includes the Turks.

Now they will demand a full independence and that includes their own free country. If they give them the region then they will eventually demand a part of Turkey too. After all, they are still at war with them.

We all know which way Iraq is heading but the Kurdish matter will get VERY compicated in the (near?) future.

Now they will demand a full independence and that includes their own free country. If they give them the region then they will eventually demand a part of Turkey too. After all, they are still at war with them.

Maybe, but I see that situation as a much more viable diplomatic venture. I think that can be solved.

I think if they're granted independence and given the region they already partially control themselves that would satisfy them (especially considering the circumstances in Iraq).

They might not want a part of Turkey or at the very least; they can be......persuaded to not want a piece of Turkey by way of losing support from large nations.

sorry dude.......there are certain aspects of this " free " election that i just can`t agree with...........i don`t know that it`s an argument that i`d like to get into on beatking.

what kiwibank said apart from i KNOW it's not something i wanna get into here.

what kiwibank said apart from i KNOW it's not something i wanna get into here.

You guys are chickens :lol: What's there to disagree with? :lol:

call me what you want :P it's more of a 'i can't be bothered to get into this here' (w/caveat that Redneck will undoubtedly end up posting about ammo or guns or his wife or whatever; you're so predictable, Redneck) :lol:

Redneck will undoubtedly end up posting about ammo or guns or his wife or whatever; you're so predictable, Redneck) :lol:

I was going to post but my wife interrupted my gun cleaning by bringing me a box of ammo. What were you saying?