Punk Rock - Name Your Favorites

DudeAsInCool

Crackerjacker started a thread at ZP on the subject of Punk - so I'm posting that thread here if anyone is interested.

http://www.zeropaid.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=24173

There are a lot of poseurs in punk, so I am sure Slum G will keep us honest. I will start:

Anarchy in the UK - The Sex Pistols

Kick Out the Jams - MC5

There are a lot of poseurs in punk, so I am sure Slum G will keep us honest. 

ahhhh, you mean the /other/ Slum G

where to begin? :lol: um...the Clash, Sex Pistols (for everything apart from most of their music), the Ruts (for jamaican flavored dub-by stuff), the Damned, the Undertones, like that.

The thing with punk is that so many people can and will shoot you down for anything not in their canon.

That being said, I've been listening to old (meaning the more than a decade old Recipe for Hate and Stranger than Fiction) Bad Religion lately. Some Descendents Two Things at once too.

You know, amongst some other crap.

The thing with punk is that so many people can and will shoot you down for anything not in their canon.

exactly why i controlled myself on this topic. btw, welcome to beatking, kill.rhythm (cool name). :)

Thanks. Seems like a nice place. I've had it bookmarked for a long time, but never got around to it. Someone at Zeropaid had a link in their sig and I finally followed it.

or do what i do--kick off your boots and slobber all over. :lol:

Dudes, I already puked on your couch and flipped the cushion to hide it.

I may have pissed in your closet and/or the refrigerator as well.

I'm not sure because I drank all your booze.

:strumma:

stiff little fingers, the damned, richard hell, patti smith, the saints (aussie), the only ones, buzzcocks, definitely siouxie and the banshees, tubeway army were all punk era bands that i used to listen to...while not really my style, friends of mine are heavily into it and i like to keep an open mind on musical styles.......my wife is a big stranglers fan........

post-7-1107404815.gif

Edited by kiwibank

Dudes, I already puked on your couch and flipped the cushion to hide it.

I may have pissed in your closet and/or the refrigerator as well.

I'm not sure because I drank all your booze.

:strumma:

you left me all the weed, YAY! :lol:

• 1 month later...

i'd left patti out cause i thought it obvious. this is a new interview w/her, very cool especially things like 'Our philosophy was that rock and roll should be a cultural voice and not glamorized. It didn’t belong to the rich and famous; it belonged to the people.'

my friend in cardiff captain paranoid and the delusions just played w/siouxsee a few weeks back (i'll dig up the pic he sent of them both on stage together, IIR)

sorry it wasn't siouxsee; it was ari upp last month onstage w/captain paranoid (remember the slits?

post-7-1112513167.jpg

i love this:

rock and roll should be a cultural voice and not glamorized. It didn’t belong to the rich and famous; it belonged to the people.

totally in the spirit of DIY and everybody is a star. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Wait, I'd have to say they're tied with the Clash.

Although I do like some the of the Clash's music, as a punk band they lacked originality. Despite their attempt at punk rock politics they were on a major label their entire career.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm... The Ramones, and have to agree with the start... MC5.

Flaming Lips anyone?

Red Hot Chili Peppers?

The hardest part about punk, is success is selling out. Once a band "makes the big time" the core fanbase tends to get all hussy for losing their little secret and bash everything the band makes from then out. A world where success means pop, and pop means crap. Oh well... I for one admit that I like imaginative pop.

Though.......................... I wonder where

Edited by Excrement_Cranium

Red Hot Chili Peppers?
:blink:
The hardest part about punk, is success is selling out.  Once a band "makes the big time" the core fanbase tends to get all hussy for losing their little secret and bash everything the band makes from then out.  A world where success means pop, and pop means crap.  Oh well... I for one admit that I like imaginative pop.

I couldn't care less about a bands success or public appeal ... and I agree, success doesn't neccesarily mean mainsteam.

But selling out is a different matter. Since we're on the subject of punk bands, being on a major label invalidates a lot of political ideals that punk is supposed to stand for. (See above comment about the Clash). Some will argue that there is nothing wrong with a band using a major label to get their messages heard ... and I don't buy that for a second. The end doesn't always justify the mean. Contributing to an organization that continuously fucks over the people you're trying to help means that you're just fucking em over too.

Sex Pistols are the most over rated "punk" (term used very loosly) band there ever was.  Lydon can admit it, why can't everyone else?

i agree w/you but i love lydon for other reasons, most of which are stated here and there on beatking.

Wait, I'd have to say they're tied with the Clash.

Although I do like some the of the Clash's music, as a punk band they lacked originality. Despite their attempt at punk rock politics they were on a major label their entire career.

:lol:

the dead boys? :lol: oh my...i last saw cheetah chrome on the streets of the lower east side in NYC; w/o slandering him to death, all i can say is, he wasn't looking too good (you had to be there but you're lucky you weren't). :lol: