Dr. Ecstacy

DudeAsInCool

Dr. Ecstasy

By DRAKE BENNETT

January 30, 2005

Alexander Shulgin, Sasha to his friends, lives with his wife, Ann, 30 minutes inland from the San Francisco Bay on a hillside dotted with valley oak, Monterey pine and hallucinogenic cactus. At 79, he stoops a little, but he is still well over six feet tall, with a mane of white hair, a matching beard and a wardrobe that runs toward sandals, slacks and short-sleeved shirts with vaguely ethnic patterns. He lives modestly, drawing income from a small stock portfolio supplemented by his Social Security and the rent that two phone companies pay him to put cell towers on his land. In many respects he might pass for a typical Contra Costa County retiree.

...For 40 years, working in plain sight of the law and publishing his results, Shulgin has been a one-man psychopharmacological research sector. (Timothy Leary called him one of the century's most important scientists.) By Shulgin's own count, he has created nearly 200 psychedelic compounds, among them stimulants, depressants, aphrodisiacs, ''empathogens,'' convulsants, drugs that alter hearing, drugs that slow one's sense of time, drugs that speed it up, drugs that trigger violent outbursts, drugs that deaden emotion -- in short, a veritable lexicon of tactile and emotional experience. And in 1976, Shulgin fished an obscure chemical called MDMA out of the depths of the chemical literature and introduced it to the wider world, where it came to be known as Ecstasy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/30/magazine/30ECSTASY.html

post-86-1107111780.jpg

IF we can get our hands on his pure unadulterated substances. :lol:

*sigh* in the 80s a friend in california sent me a few hundred doses of what i thought was pure MDMA (and then known as ecstasy). fast forward almost 20 years; last summer someone in london turned us on to some after a gig--IMO it was a huge difference (pet man hated it; i was all 'meh').

I never knew who to thank until I read the article about the good Doctor! :lol: And hey kids, dont experiment unless you are careful and have support... Or you will end up being a dummy like this guy

http://www.southbendtribune.com/stories/20...sends_car_t.sto

hey kids, dont experiment unless you are careful and have support...

or you'll end up like the girl (a true story) in 'U Don't Dans 2 Tekno Anymore' ('in which a DJ watches a girl overdose in front of his booth')

DW: 'she took those funny little heart-shaped pills and just died, right there, in front of me. now she don't dance to techno anymore.'

forgot to say that Alexander Shulgin was at the high times offices way back when, a very cool dude.

I used to use all that back when I was a techno freak but now only natural stuff for me.

Several bad trips and experiences led me here :smokin:

that's totally understandable.

/what/????? :lol: is this another euphemism like 'maple-sugaring?' :lol:

/what/????? :lol: is this another euphemism like 'maple-sugaring?' :lol:

we have to be careful sg.....we have to talk in euphemisms..the bushies might be watching and listening......we may have to maple-sugar them ;) :huh::lol:

Edited by kiwibank

can`t you imagine laura bush screaming out " maple-sugar me baby!! " to georgie-boy one night in the west wing....... :hyper: :hyper: :lol:

Can you imagine George Sr on the maple sugar trail with Barbara?? :wacko: (Sorry if I offended anyone..really :lol: ) Or Lyn and Dick :wub:

we have to be careful sg.....we have to talk in euphemisms..the bushies might be watching and listening......we may have to maple-sugar them ;) :huh::lol:

oh, i'll maple-sugar them all right. :lol: (in 1984 style where 'maple-sugar' means 'hang by the balls')