Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Welcome Guest!

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?

BLACK LIVES MATTER! ×
BLACK LIVES MATTER!

Search continues for Urbina's mother


Yoda

Recommended Posts

Police: Search continues for kidnapped mother of Venezuelan pitcher Urbina

By JORGE RUEDA, Associated Press Writer

January 25, 2005

CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) -- Kidnappers holding the mother of Detroit Tigers pitcher Ugueth Urbina have demanded a $3 million ransom, but have not contacted the family in several weeks, Venezuelan police said Tuesday.

Ten police detectives in an anti-kidnapping unit are on the case and believe 54-year-old Maura Villarreal is still being held hostage. Police said the strategy of making no contact is a common ploy used by kidnappers in the South American country.

Urbina's mother disappeared from her home on the outskirts of Caracas on Sept. 1. Police have said they believe she was taken by four men who arrived wearing police uniforms.

Police also have said they believe a mechanic who happened to be working on a motorcycle at the house was taken away along with Urbina's mother.

A senior police official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said it had been difficult for the family to accept police involvement because they fear for Villarreal's life.

The official confirmed Venezuelan news reports that the amount of ransom demanded was about $3 million, but he also said the figure had varied over time and that initially the kidnappers had demanded $6 million.

Read More..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Our picks

    • Wait, Burning Man is going online-only? What does that even look like?
      You could have been forgiven for missing the announcement that actual physical Burning Man has been canceled for this year, if not next. Firstly, the nonprofit Burning Man organization, known affectionately to insiders as the Borg, posted it after 5 p.m. PT Friday. That, even in the COVID-19 era, is the traditional time to push out news when you don't want much media attention. 
      But secondly, you may have missed its cancellation because the Borg is being careful not to use the C-word. The announcement was neutrally titled "The Burning Man Multiverse in 2020." Even as it offers refunds to early ticket buyers, considers layoffs and other belt-tightening measures, and can't even commit to a physical event in 2021, the Borg is making lemonade by focusing on an online-only version of Black Rock City this coming August.    Read more...
      More about Burning Man, Tech, Web Culture, and Live EventsView the full article
      • 0 replies
    • Post in What Are You Listening To?
      Post in What Are You Listening To?
    • Post in What Are You Listening To?
      Post in What Are You Listening To?
    • Post in What Are You Listening To?
      Post in What Are You Listening To?
    • Post in What Are You Listening To?
      Post in What Are You Listening To?
×
×
  • Create New...