Home computer 2004, as predicted in 1954

Malicious Intent

Is that picture real? If so what was the year it was taken? I am glad that our computers don't occupy that much space.

how about one in a 1939 packard?

oooOOOOOO nice!! That's what I call ................ a steering wheel !!

They just dont make them like that these days. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
That computer pic was actually posted in the "funny computer pics" thread about six months ago.

Are you getting the urge to merge? :lol:

how about this one???? :lol:

A "portable" computer with a tape drive? It's the IBM 5100 Portable Computer, one of the very first personal computers. This particular example has been expanded to 32K and originally cost $14,275 in 1976. It has a tape drive that took normal cassette tapes, and a teeny, tiny little screen.

The owner adds:

The IBM 5100 Portable Computer was IBM's 1st attempt to build a personal computer back in 1974. Weighing in at 50 pounds and costing around $10,000, the IBM 5100 had a built-in tape drive, a small CRT and the capability of running programs in either BASIC or APL (A Programming Language, created by IBM). IBM used its own proprietary circuit modules throughout and did not rely on an Intel microprocessor, unlike the microcomputers that would come out in the following years.

The monitor could display 16 lines of 64 characters each, the memory could be expanded to 64K, and the tape drive used a 1/4 inch tape cartridge similar to an 8-track stereo tape that could store about 200 K of data.

Although designed to be a small business computer, the high cost and lack of interfacing capability limited the acceptance of what could be called the 1st personal computer, the IBM 5100.

post-88-1106547028.jpg

Edited by kiwibank

SHHHHH:o

Not straight after I laughed at DAIC for double posting a joke.

:lol: or quoting himself, that kills me (then again, i've been known to do it occasionally). :lol: