Should recording artists write shorter songs?

Umma

Should artists write shorter songs to fit in with recording industry standards?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Should artists write shorter songs to fit in with recording industry standards?

• yes
    • no

http://www.beatking.com/forums/index.php?s...indpost&p=63486[/url]]...I would like to see even shorter songs

I've been bugged by this since last week and can't help but think how much that short sentence sounds like a direct quote from a record industry manual. While this type of thing has become the standard for how music is churned out these days, I have to disagree with it. Asking musicians to 'adjust' their music so it will fit into a standard box is what's making commercial music so incredibly dull. That's my opinion of course, but I doubt if I'm alone in it.

I miss those 25 minute jams that took up one whole side of a vinyl album. So you can't do that because of radio playlists huh?? Why not? I vaguely remember the complaints about the length of Bohemian Rhapsody and that it wouldnt get any airtime because it was just toooooo long. How wrong was that?

I want to know why we cant have longer songs if that's the way an artist cares to lay things down. Why on earth would music lovers want anything less than what was originally intended?

<_>

I miss those 25 minute jams that took up one whole side of a vinyl album. So you can't do that because of radio playlists huh?? Why not? I vaguely remember the complaints about the length of Bohemian Rhapsody and that it wouldnt get any airtime because it was just toooooo long. How wrong was that?

Those were the days!!

:smokin:

I agree with Umma but I think that's the way it was always done. Bands always released the original tracks on the album and then released the single which included the Radio Mix for commercial reasons.

What I hate to about todays releases is the album length. I see albums that are only 40 mins long. Is this the way they want to fight "music piracy?" By offering less? Oh they also cover it with those cheap ass box cases.

Oh... I'm waiting for the day those big record labels die cause it will happen whether they want it or not. On the other hand, Indie labels will adjust their business to the digital age we are entering (or have entered) and become bigger.

*drops 2 cents on his way out*

Albums by the beatles where only 20 mins or so, and that was loads of songs!

But that was natural, not an industry recommendation.

The point is, music should be made and played that way it is, not because it needs to conform to a commercial standard.

I'm waiting for the day those big record labels die cause it will happen whether they want it or not.

so am i. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Umma's right of course. Unfortunately, the accountants and lawyers have taken over the industry, so its an uphill fight, and the weakest players in this scenario are emerging artists.

Umma's right of course. Unfortunately, the accountants and lawyers have taken over the industry, so its an uphill fight, and the weakest players in this scenario are emerging artists.

Yep... there are too many businessmen in the music industry who really don't appreciate the music they supposedly represent and only see it as a means to increase their personal wealth... but I disagee that emerging artists are the weakest link... they are the ones with the talent after all.... not some buffoon sitting at a desk manipulating things so he can make a buck out of somebody elses hard work. It's high time that musicians took advantage of their own marketing capabilities and cut out the greedy middle man who does little or nothing other than collect a large percentage that they really haven't earned. Those industry executives are redundant in this digital age. A revolution has taken place in the music industry..... it's time to sit up and recognise. :good job:

but I disagee that emerging artists are the weakest link... they are the ones with the talent after all....

I didnt say they are the weakest link - they have the least power and leverage

Yep... there are too many businessmen in the music industry who really don't appreciate the music they supposedly represent and only see it as a means to increase their personal wealth

in NYC i worked for grubman, indursky, schindler & goldstein (at the time, the largest entertainment law firm on the east coast) and the greed and bullshit going on was unbelievable. it seemed they really didn't give a fuck about the artists (all apart from steve kopitko who was attorney and friend to a lot of them).