Santana

DudeAsInCool

The forum is artist's websites...

That was just the home page. You have to click something, and then you go to a flash page, and then you have to click that... So, I will let you cut to the chase...

http://www.santana.com/frameset.html

The site lists a lot of bio information, has some samplings from all their albums, etc. The record cover that I posted is Abraxis, their second album--pretty good stuff-- still holds up today.

i used to love santana...i think i saw them at altamount w/the stones and a shitload of other bands which i forget at the moment. duhhhhhhhh. :lol:

i used to love santana...i think i saw them at altamount w/the stones and a shitload of other bands which i forget at the moment. duhhhhhhhh. :lol:

Figures - I always thought you were one of those peace and love dames :lol:

:lol: actually, i couldn't stand the hippie fucks although i was always into peace but not their brand of love. when i first saw the sex pistols and clash, i felt relieved and right at home. :lol:

hah! i call bullshit, Dude. you were waaaay too young. :lol:

hah! i call bullshit, Dude. you were waaaay too young. :lol:

Wanna bet? You see those stoned out young kids at Woodstock - coulda been me lol:

Did you go there?

Nope. I went to the Atlantic City Pop Festival two weeks beforehand. All the same bands but Hendrix, CSNY, Ten Years After & The Who. Tickets cost $15 bucks for 3 days?

http://www.e-rockworld.com/AtlanticCity.htm

Some of my friend went to Woodstock and said it sucked--rain, mud, lines--too far too see the bands. I went to California that week and hung out on the beaches of Palos Verdes. Disneyland was a trip! :rotfl:

Woodstock + New Jersey - Perfect Together

The Atlantic City Pop Festival, two weeks before the muddy mess that made Yasgur's farm famous, was a three-day rockfest that actually worked.

By Dan DeLuca

Inquirer Music Critic

Thirty-five years ago this month, the '60s counterculture threw a coming-out party, a three-day outdoor festival where thousands of long-haired music lovers tuned in and turned on to such now-legendary rock acts as Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane and Creedence Clearwater Revival.

We're not talking about Woodstock, the mess that turned the New York State Thruway into a parking lot - and, mercifully, will not mark its 35th anniversary with another overhyped edition.

We speak of the Atlantic City Pop Festival, a psychedelic stew of peace signs and music that happened two weeks before Woodstock at Atlantic City Race Track in Mays Landing, N.J., on Aug. 1-3, 1969.

Fans who coughed up $6 a day in advance or $15 for a three-day pass - it cost $1 to park - were confronted with a Who's Who of late-'60s American rock. In addition to Janis, Creedence and Jefferson Airplane, there were the Byrds, Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention, Santana, Little Richard, Joe Cocker, Booker T. and the M.G.'s, Joni Mitchell, B.B. King, Canned Heat, and more than a dozen others.

The multi-day music extravaganza, pioneered by the Newport Folk and Jazz Festivals of the mid-'60s and the Monterey Pop Festival of 1967, took hold in summer 1969. And Atlantic City's was one of the biggest, attracting about 125,000 in all.

But the Shore bash failed to achieve historical notoriety, largely because it didn't turn into an out-of-control mudbath - and wasn't the topic of a film - like Woodstock, and didn't develop into a clash between hippies and the man, like July's Denver Pop Festival, where the crowd was tear-gassed by police.

"Monterey is famous for being the first, Woodstock because it was a disaster, and Altamont [the August 1970 festival in California] because the Stones played and somebody got killed," says David Fricke, a longtime scribe at Rolling Stone magazine. "Atlantic City was unremarkable historically, mainly because it was successful."

In other words, as veteran Philadelphia DJ Michael Tearson puts it: "Atlantic City was the rock festival of 1969 that really worked."

"The A.C. Pop Festival was superior to Woodstock for many reasons," says Mark del Costello, then of Ventnor, who headed to Max Yasgur's farm later in the month.

"It was professionally produced," says del Costello, who was 19, and went on to work as a concert promoter for 20 years in New York and Los Angeles. "There were 40,000 people [a day], not 400,000 people. And there was decent weather for most of the weekend."

There was, however, a drenching rain on Sunday as Little Richard began his closing set decked out in a vest made of mirrors and shouting the words to "Tutti Frutti."

Woodstock had many acts Atlantic City didn't - the Who, the Band, Sly and the Family Stone, Jimi Hendrix. But the larger festival had no answer for A.C. attractions such as B.B. King, the Byrds, Zappa, Tim Buckley, and the Sir Douglas Quintet.

The festival was the biggest undertaking to date for nascent Electric Factory Concerts and its chief booker, Larry Magid, now head of Clear Channel Entertainment's Philadelphia concert operation.

"Back then, the underground was exploding and becoming mainstream," says Magid, who recalls serving as the festival's master of ceremonies after the scheduled MC, singer-songwriter Biff Rose, got "too wasted."

At the time, EFC operated the original Electric Factory club at 22d and Arch Streets, and regularly presented "be-ins" on Sundays at Belmont Plateau in Fairmount Park. But it would have been impossible to stage a festival anywhere near Philadelphia at a time when Vietnam War protests were growing and rock was correctly regarded as the music of rebellion, Magid's partner Alan Spivak says.

"We couldn't even call it the Atlantic City Rock Festival, which is what it really was," Spivak says. "We wouldn't have been able to rent the building. The word rock scared people."

The site proved ideal: The racetrack offered a secure perimeter that prevented the massive gate-crashing that turned Woodstock into a financial debacle. Plus, close by was the 70-acre Atlantic City Camp Grounds - now Hamilton Mall - known as "Ripple City" that weekend, because of the revelers' taste for Ripple wine.

The stage was designed by free-thinking scientist Buckminster Fuller and draped with a peace sign. It was shaped like a turntable and, when pulled by $3-an-hour stage hands, rotated to reveal the next act in the lineup, already set up. Magid employed the same idea - with electric power - to keep Live Aid on time in 1985.

Joni Mitchell's planned 40-minute set that Friday lasted half that long.

"People were making noise while she was singing," recalls Dennis Fenlon, who was 18 and drove down with five friends from Montreal. "She got really [angry], then started crying and walked off stage."

Mitchell's fee was $5,000, but Spivak says he told her, "You only played half your show, so you're only getting half your money.' She wasn't very happy."

On Saturday, Philadelphia rockers the American Dream started the show. "It was a huge gig for us," says Nick Indelicato, the Dream's frontman.

He was impressed by the dressing room in the converted jockeys' quarters, where Joplin and Zappa were shooting pool. Then he prepped for the big day: "Me and the drummer dropped a tab of acid just before we went on."

Indelicato remembers enjoying Hugh Masekela and Canadian rockers Lighthouse, then losing concentration. "After that, I was pretty wasted."

In a Rolling Stone magazine article headlined "Pop! Goes the Boardwalk," it was reported that "everything was out in the open - few chicks wore bras, many of the guys were bare-chested, dope-smoking was so flagrant that anyone sitting within five rows of the stage was guaranteed at least a mild contact high."

The piece celebrated the cultural revolution's arrival at the Jersey Shore: "Who the hell was interested in Fralinger Salt Water Taffy, when you could get strawberry mescaline in prodigious amounts right outside your green pup tent?"

On a bootlegged album recorded in 1973 at Philadelphia's old Bijou Cafe, Doug Sahm, whose Sir Douglas Quintet opened the show on Sunday, referred to the A.C. event as "one of the two great pop festivals, a truly great rock-and-roll, far-out trip." (Sahm died in 1999, so we'll never know the other one.)

Sunday's hotly anticipated act was Joplin, who Spivak says wouldn't go on until he bought her a bottle of Southern Comfort. (The powerhouse Texas vocalist, who died the next year, was described by Inquirer critic Jack Lloyd as toting both Southern Comfort and a bottle of tequila.)

Kathy Johnson, then 16, remembers taking a bus from Ocean City with a friend on Sunday. They saw the convulsive Joe Cocker ("It was the first time I'd ever seen him and I was fascinated and repulsed by his movements") and a ponytailed Zappa ("I recall thinking how white and skinny he was"), plus Santana, who were billed as the Santana Blues Band, but set the crowd straight when they took the stage.

Johnny Winter was scheduled to play but didn't, because, as an albino, he couldn't perform in the sun.

Incidents connected with the festival were few: On Sunday night, seven concertgoers were arrested on the Atlantic City Boardwalk on suspicion of drug possession, according to newspaper reports. But hopes of staging a sequel were nonetheless dashed.

Complaints of "traffic tie-ups, noise, open drug use and nude swimming in the race track's manmade lake" led Hamilton Township to pass a ban on music festivals the next year.

"Plus, after Woodstock everyone was afraid," Spivak says. "Between Woodstock and Altamont, that killed it." Outdoor festivals were associated with nakedness and drugs, and he says it wasn't until 1976 - well after other cities acquiesced - that the city granted Electric Factory a permit to stage rock shows at JFK Stadium.

Still, the summer of '69 laid the groundwork for the modern concert industry by demonstrating rock's massive drawing power. And fans look back on that festival season as a golden era.

"It was the greatest summer of my life," says Bruce Femer, who was 17 the August he drove from Maryland to Atlantic City, and also hitchhiked to Woodstock.

In Atlantic City, he remembers "people yelling at Joni Mitchell and Santana and Dr. John the Night Tripper. We felt like we knew something nobody else did. There was all this great music coming at us, and we felt like we were in on the beginning of rock-and-roll as we know it now.

"Later on, it started to seem like much more of a business. But back then, it was an innocent time."

Wanna bet? You see those stoned out young kids at Woodstock - coulda been me lol:

nah, i was too busy getting high in california and fucking shit up at the time. and i never saw the movie Woodstock--i thought it would be too damn depressing.

AFAIC, altamount was where it was at (no Stones at woodst, just a celebration of love or whatever they thought it was). too bad the dude got killed...thank you, Hell's Angels (apart from that, i dig the Hell's Angels).

Here is the lineup we saw at Atlantic City:

I remember each of the groups so well, and added at the bottom Iron Butterfly,

Chambers Bros., Procol Harem and Joni Mitchell, because they didn't appear

on the original list, which announced the following:

AUM, American Dream , Aum,Booker T. and the M.G.’s, Tim Buckley,Paul Butterfield Blues Band, The Byrds, Canned Heat, The Chambers Brothers, Chicago, Joe Cocker,Crazy World of Arthur Brown, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Iron Butterfly, Jefferson Airplane, Dr. John the Night Tripper, Janis Joplin, B.B. King, Lighthouse, Little Richard, Lothar and the Hand People, Hugh Masekela, Buddy Miles Express, Joni Mitchell, Mother Earth, Procol Harum, Santana, Sir Douglas Quintet, Three Dog Night, Johnny Winter, Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention...*the site said Miles Davis, too...but I dont remember him being there)

Dan DeLuca  Inquirer Music Critic

In a Rolling Stone magazine article headlined "Pop! Goes the Boardwalk," it was reported that "everything was out in the open - few chicks wore bras, many of the guys were bare-chested, dope-smoking was so flagrant that anyone sitting within five rows of the stage was guaranteed at least a mild contact high."

....The piece celebrated the cultural revolution's arrival at the Jersey Shore: "Who the hell was interested in Fralinger Salt Water Taffy, when you could get strawberry mescaline in prodigious amounts right outside your green pup tent?"

Yep, that's how it was - an eye opener if you an early teen :lol:

and they say i'm shameless. at least i don't quote myself (not that often); i'm talking to youuu, Duuuude. :lol:

Chambers Bros, Dr John, ARTHUR FUCKING BROWN, janis, ZAPPA, i would've loved to see them. coincidentally, i'll be reading zappa's autobiography as soon as i'm getting my hands on it (sometime tomorrow, if i remember).

about this 'few chicks wore bras, many of the guys were bare-chested, dope-smoking was so flagrant that anyone sitting within five rows of the stage was guaranteed at least a mild contact high' nothing much has changed, if going by alabama 3 shows is any indication. :lol:

shit--my memory. i forgot to say that, in NYC we hung out w/Lothar &c and when i lived in woodstock (in the town, not the festy), we were right down the road from Tim Buckley (he and the Band used to come over for shit). :lol:

ahhh...those were the days...lots of miles..lots of concerts..lots of drugs...lots of those names no longer with us...saw santana in nz and oz...great concerts both times..more partial to his earlier stuff...met many great rockers in my time...lou reed was the shortest i`ve ever met..he had a drag queen with him on a nz tour in the mid 70`s (so it was rumoured..she sure looked the part in buckskin)..we partied with him and some of his band members in an apartment in the center of auckland city......i think that opiates were the drugs of choice that night... :lol::lol:

ahhh...those were the days...lots of miles..lots of concerts..lots of drugs...

those days were long over for me until i got here. :)

you sound like you have some good times w/interesting people, kiwibank. :)

those days were long over for me until i got here. :)

you sound like you have some good times w/interesting people, kiwibank. :)

yes sg.......life has certainly been interesting...your life doesn`t sound as though it`s been too uninteresting either....i consider myself lucky that i have been able to find the balance i needed..or else i`m sure that i wouldn`t be here writing this....

:lol::lol:

yes sg.......life has certainly been interesting...your life doesn`t sound as though it`s been too uninteresting either....i consider myself lucky that i have been able to find the balance i needed..or else i`m sure that i wouldn`t be here writing this....

:lol:  :lol:

:lol: (not at you), the only balance i have comes from pet man who reins me in a couple of times a day, w/o him, i'd be all over the place (and i'm lucky he digs my stories of the old days). i find it amazing that i'm like a groupie again (well, w/o the part about sex w/bands) :lol:

but yeah, i know what you mean. :)