"Some Kind of Monster"

DudeAsInCool

Rock Therapy

The secret lives of Metallica.

By David Edelstein

Posted Thursday, July 15, 2004, at 2:45 PM PT

It sounds like a swipe at Metallica to compare the smashing new documentary Metallica: Some Kind of Monster (IFC Films) to a nonfiction remake of This Is Spinal Tap (1984). But it's more of a testament to how smart that landmark mockumentary was. Buttressing the satire was an endlessly resonant subject: how rock legends fight to maintain their stature in the face of middle age, petty jealousy (sexual and otherwise), the toll of their reckless hedonism, and, of course, idiocy. Not that the members of Metallica seem like idiots in Some Kind of Monster. They're shrewd businessmen—and they commissioned this film, so they're not going to come off too badly. But the movie, directed by Joe Berlinger and Bruce Sinofsky, has the same kind of tension as Spinal Tap: between the ferocious, pagan, anarchic energy it takes to keep a monster metal group aloft, and the weight of the real world, which finally drives these macho rockers into group therapy. First Tony Soprano, now Metallica. The whole world has become a New Yorker cartoon.

The documentary was intended as a relatively straightforward look at the making of an album (it would be St. Anger), the first in years for a group that, in its 20-year history, has sold nearly a hundred million records. But as the film begins, that old black magic isn't there.

You can read the rest of the review here:

http://www.beatking.com/forums/index.php?s...03&hl=metallica

Then again if you don't like the band, chances are you wouldn't want to watch a documentary about them.

You might be surprised--I listened to an interview with the director, who was quite articulate. The band supported the filmmaker's artistic endeavor and did not interfere in any way shape or manner--they even came to his aid and helped fund him when the record company dropped their support. It's really about a group of guys going thru a mid-life crisis, who just happen to be rock stars. It's more a movie about them as people then it is about Metallica. I doubt the reviewers go home and listen to Metallica..

Oh, ok. I suppose that'll rake in a few non-fans.

However, with that description, I refuse to see a pretentious self-centered account of some guys with boat loads of money going through a "mid-life crisis".

Boo-fucking-hoo.

With their fucking money, I could have REALLY done something for myself and humanity. Instead, these motherfuckers buy Hummers and complain about Napster. Fuck them in the ass “mid-life crisis”. What a bunch of children.

Edit: Added Rant boundaries.

Edited by Ken

:lol: i'm hoping to do my (unfilmed) mid-life crisis when i'm 70 and then drop dead the next day. they say that when a 40 year old dude buys a motorcycle jacket or corvette or whatever, he's going through a mid-life crisis. i don't know about the corvette, but i've been wearing my jacket for like 25 years already...hahaha, i don't ever wanna grow up.

watch while some personal tragedy forces me to overnight. bah. hee. :lol: