Goodbye Pimps and Ho's

DudeAsInCool

Goodbye, pimps and hos!

The year's biggest pop stars dropped the skanky booty-shaking, and -- like much of the country -- chose a conservative path.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

By Thomas Bartlett

Dec. 14, 2004  |  Quoth Jay-Z: "You can't be running around in jerseys when you're 30 years old."

The oracle spoke, the people listened. Jay-Z, with his new fondness for suits and button-up shirts, best set the year's tone: Maturity was in, clean-cut was in. An old-fashioned, elegant idea of what was stylish was ascendant. In popular music, this was the year of the white suit, of the rakishly angled hat.

The new aesthetic was everywhere: in the retro-utopian ballrooms of R. Kelly's "Happy People" and Outkast's "I Like the Way You Move" videos; in the speak-easy vibe of Beyoncé's "Naughty Girl" video; in the "Ed Sullivan Show" theme of the "Hey Ya" video; in the sudden celebrity of P. Diddy's natty manservant, Farnsworth Bentley. Nelly, the man who brought us "Hot in Herre," released a record called "Suit." And look at what happened to Christina Aguilera! I don't know how they got the skank out of that girl, but now she's dressing in '20s-style flapper dresses with a coquettish curly bob. Even Britney is grown up, married with children. In the upper echelons of hip-hop and pop, it was out with the hoodies and gold chains, and in with a more classically moneyed style, with all the trappings of wealth and maturity. Out with bling, in with bespoke.

View a short commercial and read the full article here:

http://www.salon.com/ent/feature/2004/12/1..._hos/index.html

All those gangsta wannabes was a fashion and it's fading away. Rap is good and I like it but those pimp assholes had nothing to do with rap.

Same thing about rock. Limp Bisquit are rock but they have nothing to do with rock if you know what I mean. Same thing with rap.

Take Roots for instance. They released an excellent rap album which had nothing to do with pimps or hos.

Quoth Jay-Z: "You can't be running around in jerseys when you're 30 years old."

WELL I BEG TO DIFFER, MY GOOD MAN! (FUCK OFF!) *complete w/all my tendencies and aesthetics* :lol:

Quoth Jay-Z: "You can't be running around in jerseys when you're 30 years old."

WELL I BEG TO DIFFER, MY GOOD MAN! (FUCK OFF!) *complete w/all my tendencies and aesthetics* :lol:

I agree. Who the fuck says I cant wear them when Im 40 +

yeah Dude. fuck, i'm wearing shit here and loving it, shit that, due to peer pressure, i quit wearing ages ago in narrowminded NYC. when we were packing to leave i told pet man, 'i'm giving this stuff to the salvation army' and he goes 'pack it, y'never know.' how right he was. :lol: