GWAR Frontman Dave Brockie, a.k.a. Oderus Urungus, Dead at 50

GWAR Frontman Dave Brockie, a.k.a. Oderus Urungus, Dead at 50

Dave Brockie, founder and frontman of satirical thrash band GWAR, was found dead in his Richmond, VA home yesterday, Style Weekly reports. He was 50.

Brockie's cause of death has yet to be determined. Richmond police have issued a statement:

At approximately 6:53 p.m. on Sunday, Richmond Police were called to a residence in the 4800 block of West Seminary Avenue for a report of a deceased individual. When officers arrived, they found David M. Brockie, 50, deceased inside the home. Detectives do not suspect foul play at this time and the Medical Examiner’s Office will determine cause of death.

Brockie’s stage alias was Oderus Urungus. The monster-metal outfit recently celebrated their 30th anniversary. Bassist Mike Bishop writes:

Dave was one of the funniest, smartest, most creative and energetic persons I've known. He was brash sometimes, always crass, irreverent, he was hilarious in every way. But he was also deeply intelligent and interested in life, history, politics and art.

His penchant for scatological humors belied a lucid wit. He was a criminally underrated lyricist and hard rock vocalist, one of the best, ever! A great front man, a great painter, writer, he was also a hell of a bass guitarist. I loved him. He was capable of great empathy and had a real sense of justice.

GWAR formed in Richmond in 1984, and quickly gained infamy for their live performances, which combined gross-out theatrics, costumed stunts, and crass humor. The band’s self-created mythology cast its members as almighty aliens who came to Earth hellbent on destruction and mischief. Their most recent effort, Battle Maximus, came out last year.

Update 3/24 10:30 a.m. Eastern : GWAR's manager Jack Flanagan has issued a statement:

It is with a saddened heart that I confirm my dear friend Dave Brockie, artist, musician, and lead singer of GWAR passed away at approximately 6:50 PM EST Sunday March 23, 2014. His body was found Sunday by his band mate at his home in Richmond, VA. Richmond authorities have confirmed his death and next of kin has been notified. A full autopsy will be performed. He was 50 years old, born August 30, 1963.

My main focus right now is to look after my band mates and his family. More information regarding his death shall be released as the details are confirmed.

Watch Brockie and his band perform "The Salaminizer" from 1990’s Scumdogs of the Universe live in 1991:

Watch GWAR wreak havoc at SXSW 2008, via Pitchfork.tv:

[url=http://pitchfork.com/news/54472-gwar-frontman-dave-brockie-aka-oderus-urungus-dead-at-50/]View the full article[/url]