Put On Your White Sombrero

Jim Colyer

Frida gives her macho Spaniard a tongue lashing. We have to wonder about whom she is singing. It must just be a song. Frida dresses her spurned vaquero. Not only does she put a white sombrero on him but dons him all in white and adds a red bandana. She puts him on a horse and sends him riding into the sunset to impress a meek senorita. She sees him as a cowboy, a caballero trying to live life as if it were an old movie. Frida is strong. She is a realist. "Put On Your White Sombrero" is the first ABBA song to embody a mean spirit. It belongs to the Super Trouper era but was deemed unworthy of that album. ABBA was peaking. There were fewer and fewer worlds to conquer. "In rhyme with his time" may be the worst line in the entire catalog. As an astronomer, I naturally think of the Sombrero Galaxy M104.

PUT ON YOUR WHITE SOMBRERO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU6-vblQ_u0

Put on your white sombrero
Saddle your horse my dear
And ride off into the sunset
You'd better go
For there is no
Place for you here
Like an old fashoned hero
You stand before me
You think our life is a movie
My world is real