Headbanger's Ball

Lord_of_the_Dense

Ok metalpeeps…I’ve decided to do a weekly recap/opinion thread on Headbanger’s Ball. I only recently was able to get into a situation which allowed me to have MTV2 and I have been waiting years to watch this show. I haven’t really watched it since I graduated high school (nearly two decades).

Anyways, I will be doing what I can to keep this updated weekly. The post I make today is actually from last weekend’s (8/7) show so I will be posting another review within the next few days.

As the show stands currently, it is played on MTV2 on Saturday evenings at 7:00 PM and at repeats at 1:00 AM on Tuesday mornings. These times are for PST (California) time. Jamey Jasta, lead singer of Hatebreed, is the current host.

This thread is open for anything, but it would be great to hear other opinions on the videos, music, guests or even commercials (A Kevin Lyttle album announcement is just WRONG during HBB). My primary aim is to discuss with those people who have caught the show. Having watched it or not, anyone can comment however.

OK, so here goes…

Tonight’s Guests – OTEP & Most Precious Blood

Three Day’s Grace – “Just Like You” – Three Days Grace – Jive

My recording started late on this show. Normally I would watch and record what I can. I suppose if I am going to do an article every week, I should record the whole show, but I want to get a personal collection going also. Maybe that’s what having 3 VCRs is for. ;)

Only catching the last minute of this song, I have to say I think it has officially grown on me. Originally I couldn’t stand it, but as I kept hearing it on the local station where my new job is, I started finding more and more things that caught my musical tastes. The composition itself is simple, both lyrically and musically. I don’t know if it’s the “1-e-a” of the kick and tom/cymbal or the redundant chorus. Either way, it’s something I turn up if I hear it. I look forward to hearing other works from these guys.

Chimaira – “Powertrip” – The Impossibility of Reason – Roadrunner

I don’t believe I’ve heard much from this band. This particular song sounded good musically, but the singer’s voice was a bit cliché. Good drumming and guitar work though. I got a KillswitchEngage-type feeling from the band. Maybe another track will set them apart from other metal acts.

Eighteen Visions“Waiting For The Heavens”Obsession – Red Ink/Trustkill

I have never heard of this band before. Interesting intro from soft to heavy. I don’t think I care for the theme. Seems to be a hint of punk involved. I hear a bit of The Refused in this band. They way they act remind me of Good Charlotte. I don’t think this will be a favorite of mine anytime soon. Watch the video by clicking the song link above.

Otep in the studio:

They have a blonde singer (w/pierced bottom lip) who looks kinda sexy .Tattooed on both arms. The other band member has a shaved head and a large goatee. Tattoos also. I believe he is the bassist. After Ozzfest they will continue touring.

Deftones – “Minerva” – Deftones – Maverick

I like this band. This particular song isn’t the best I’ve heard from them. A bit slow and the guitar work is unappealing. I think the White Pony album is one of the best.

Underoath“Reinventing Your Exit”They’re Only Chasing Safety – Tooth and Nail / Solid state

Another punk band with a metal/pop edge. Appears to be a group of very young men thrashing about to a song you’d boogie to with your girl/guy. The angst that’s present could be switched out with a Linkin Park video and do it justice. They have a guy who likes to scream. Seems the drummer does a good portion of the singing duties. Overall, this band doesn’t really cut it as “metal.” Check out the music download with the song link above.

Otep – “Warheads” – House of Secrets – Capital

This woman is a screamer. Without the lyrics flashing on the screen, I would have no idea what she was saying. This song was done like a anti-war poster. Similar in the way KMFDM does its videos although not exactly the same animation. This is severely Anti-Bush. Not a horrible song but not too aesthetically pleasing either. Maybe released to emphasize a position. I’ll need to hear more from the band who got its name from the anagram of “poet.” You can see the video on the site.

Blue Cheer – “Summertime Blues” – Vincebus Eruption – Mercury/Polygram

Man I haven’t heard/seen this video for like forever. Maybe not since the original HBB or HBO’s Video Jukebox. Rush did an excellent cover of this song on their latest release. Vintage camera work much like Sabbath’s “Iron Man” video. Great classic song. I’m actually surprised they integrated this into the show. Looks like there may be stuff some of us veterans recognize in the future.

Atreyu“Right Side of the Bed”The Curse - Victory

This could pass as another Underoath song. Nothing impressive here. Like Goo Goo Dolls with a backup growler. Love the pentagram on the kick drum. Maybe it’s for that “evil” beat.

The Black Dahlia Murder“Funeral Thirst”Unhallowed – Metal Blade

Slayer-like musical intro segues into a speed metal segment complete with alternating screaming and cookie-monster vocals (from one singer). Kinda like the Speed/Death metal version of King Diamond. Decent guitar solo. Now that I think about it, this singer has talent. Being able to switch between those two vocal styles so quickly is impressive. A downloadable mp3 is available on the song link above.

Most Precious Blood in the studio. This band has a brunette with a skirt and a tattoo. Not too bad looking. She plays guitar. Her name is Rachel and she plays in the next song in a different band. The entire band is either vegan or vegetarian.

The Wage of Sin – “Severed” – A Mistaken Belief in Forever – Immigrant Sun

This one starts out brutal. Damn. Kittie…eat your heart out. All female group here. Very aggressive.

Metallica – “Some Kind of Monster” – St Anger/Some Kind of Monster Motion Picture

The last time I was an avid fan of Metallica was before Load came out. Even though I thought that album was tolerable for the most part, I think I was in shock with most of the Metallifans out there. I bought St. Anger with hopes that something might be different. It was—the sound. But not in a way I thought acceptable. And not in a way any pre-Load fan should think either. This song is just but another track on an album from a band who needs to hang it up. Much like that Stanley/Simmons band. There’s not much to say about this video. Just one more song that, after the growls of despair, leaves you feeling unchanged about the once-powerful metal giant.

Cro-Mags – “We Gotta Know” – The Age of Quarrel – Profile/Rock Hotel

LMAO. Old school NY Hardcore. I remember watching this on the old Headbanger’s Ball. Me and my high school bud still mock this song to this day.

Cannae – “Anna’s Love” – Horror – Prosthetic

Never heard of this band either. Seems the Prosthetic label has been releasing a lot lately. This sounds a bit like Death or KillswitchEngage. Tell you what, if it’s a love song for Anna, you’d never know. Sounds like they want to bury “Anna’s Love.”

Most Precious Blood – “The Great Red Shift” – Our Lady of Annihilation - Trustkill

Seems Cro-Mags was one of this band’s influences. Modern day Hardcore, much like Biohazard.

Lacuna Coil – “Swamped” – Comalies – Century Media

I’ve enjoyed this band’s previous efforts. Led by a singing duo who complement each other well during their songs, Lacuna Coil is easy to digest. Some of you may have heard the single “Heaven’s a Lie” on their previous album. Very sultry singing balanced with precise musicianship. This is definitely one to check out.

Monster Magnet – “Unbroken (Hotel Baby)” – Monolithic Baby – SPV

I’m starting to enjoy this band the more I hear them. I don’t know if it’s the old-style sound they play, or if it’s the off-the-wall lyrics and song titles much like the ones White Zombie used.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay. This is going to be quite a task keeping up with the weeks. Luckily, (or unfortunately) they are skipping this week due to the VMA’s. This review is for 8/14 and I plan to have the one for 8/21 done before next week rolls around. Last week’s (8/21) was a great show with a lot of good videos, new and old. Anyways, on with the show…

Tonight’s guests: Earshot and Eighteen Visions

Papa Roach“Getting Away With Murder”Getting Away With Murder – Geffen

I like this song. The singer’s voice is strong and I enjoy the rhythm guitar work. The chorus is a bit redundant, but overall, a good follow-up to their previous album. I think I only enjoyed a few songs on the last album. I am interested in hearing more on this release. Click on the song link above to watch the video.

All That Remains – “The Deepest Gray” - The Darkened Heart – Prosthetic

Not sure if I’ve heard much on these guys. Seem to have a bit of hardcore in them. A little of KillswitchEngage. Good rhythm section. The bassist likes to mimic the screaming of the lead singer. Sounds like there may be a progressive edge to this band. Not a bad cut.

Earshot in the studio. Recorded every song on their new album three times to achieve the best quality. They are from L.A. They originally only recorded a one-song demo. Next thing they know, they were signed. Their latest album’s lyrics are realistic, hopeful and emotional. They are currently touring with Saliva for the next two months. They should be in Canada sometime next year. The following video is from their first album.

Earshot – “Get Away” – Letting Go – Warner Bros.

A youthful sounding band with a singer that has a voice that replicates Tool’s singer in areas. The music is also similar to Tool or A Perfect Circle. I’d check these guys out again to see what they got.

Throwdown – “Forever” – Haymaker – Trustkill

This seems a little grindcore. An aggressive song done to a UFC theme. Other than the double-bass sections, not much more that this song offers for me. Pass.

WTF…promo for the debut album for Houston (hip-hop). Cut this shit out MTV2! :reallymad:

Tool – “Prison Sex” – Undertow – Zoo

LOL. Just before this video, Earshot was in the studio and as Jamey Jasta was preparing the next video, he stated “Here is a band that you guys are compared to a lot.” I was initially worried that I may have misjudged the sound, but it seems I was on target.

I love this band, this song and this album. Basically this was the album that started them for me. Their song “Sober” was the first song, and as I’m sure Ken will agree, most people started out with Tool on the Undertow album. I have yet to get Opiate, but I have everything else of theirs. I also highly enjoy all of their videos. The morbid creativity displayed in these videos overwhelms me. You really can’t start a Tool video and not watch it through to the end. I picked up that collector set thingy that had the DVD and CD with rarities. It had four of the videos from Undertow and Ænima. Good stuff. Keep up the great work Maynard!

God Forbid“Antihero”Gone Forever – Century Media

This has got a great beginning. Heavy, fast, chugga-chugga steamroller. A screaming vocalist coupled with great guitar solos. I definitely want to hear more on this band. Great song. Click on the song link to download the video.

Earshot – “Wait” – Two – Warner Bros.

Wow. The Tool comparison is strong here. I’ve heard this track on the local radio. Not too bad. A little soft but well written. Singer looks a little like Ian Astbury from The Cult.

Unearth – “The Great Dividers” – The Oncoming Storm – Metal Blade

Aggressive, thrash metal sounding song. At the tempo change, the guitars get a bit more intricate. Heavy double-bass usage throughout the song. Another hint at KillswitchEngage. Tight playing during the faster moments of the song.

World Premiere Video:

Pig Destroyer –“Piss Angel” – Prowler in the Yard – Relapse

Great name! Current day speed metal. A bit like Sepultura. Except for the fact they are a bunch of white boys. The lyrics are basically undecipherable. Not the greatest of sounds. Will most likely skip this one. You can decide for yourself here.

Avenged Sevenfold“Unholy Confessions”Waking the Fallen – Hopeless

This was an interesting beginning. A thrash cut followed by a single piano passage which then melds into live video footage for the song. Looks like this may have been created at either high school or college. Cross Flock of Seagulls with Marilyn Manson dress styles with one of the latest punk bands and you have AS. Too many tempo/harmony changes. Difficult too label them accurately. The singer’s sporting a Metallica shirt and it seems their mascot is a skull with wings. Hey! Metallica uses a skull. Hey! Metallica sounds crappy these days. Perhaps they should have called themselves Metalli-kin.

Hatebreed – “Live for This” – Rise Of Brutality - Universal

Oh look..it’s Jamey Jasta’s band. OMG. Total NY Hardcore. Biohazard clone. Hang it up dude. This song not only bites, but it has been done before. This even makes Pro-Pain look good. Helpful song note: From the opening note, chant the title of this song and don’t stop. You will have covered 75% of the total lyrics by song’s end. Isn’t that cool? You almost know it all. Thanks for the simple-minded metal, Jamey.

Eighteen Visions“You Broke Like Glass”Vanity – Trustkill

This is from their 2002 release. My opinion from last week sticks about this band. About the only thing this video has going for it is the girl-on-girl action. Oh, and the red, checkered Vans the drummer is wearing. Click on the song link for the video.

Burnt By The Sun“Forlani”The Perfect is The Enemy Of The Good – Relapse

What’s with that album title? The song itself is just as confusing. Is that drummer standing up? It also looks like the guitarist is caressing, (like in stimulate your female partner kind of way) his guitar. That was just too weird and not all that impressive. Click on the song link to watch the video.

Vision of Disorder – “Southbound” – From Bliss To Devastation – TVT

One of the influences of Eighteen Visions, this band sounds a bit like a more aggressive Stone Temple Pilots. Much better than Eighteen Visions, IMO. More great girl-on-girl action. Is that what they mean by “going southbound?”

Twelve Tribes“Venus Complex”Rebirth of Tragedy – Ferret

Has all of metal become a scream-fest these days? This is like a cross between Sevendust and P.O.D. Not a bad song. Need to hear more to determine my liking for them. Download the mp3 here.

Eighteen Visions – Waiting For The Heavens – Obsession – Red Ink/Trustkill

Covered in last week’s report. No change.

Anterrabae“Never The Less She Was A Mess”Shakedown Tonight – Triple Crown

SCREAM!!!…Sounds like a 15 year-old Drill Instructor. Same old punk/hardcore scene. Next.

World Premiere Video:

Lamb of God – “Laid to Rest” – Ashes of the Wake – Epic

This band has sounded pretty good lately. Nice kick drum/guitar volleying. The music is precise. Singer is more of a growler instead of a screamer. Too bad MTV2 edited out the profanity. Those blank spots lessen the impact of the song. Singer holds a nice scream in the middle of the song. I may have to get this album. It comes out August 31st. You can hear a demo of this song here.

Blue Cheer – “Summertime Blues” – Vincebus Eruption – Mercury/Polygram

Man I haven’t heard/seen this video for like forever. Maybe not since the original HBB or HBO’s Video Jukebox. Rush did an excellent cover of this song on their latest release. Vintage camera work much like Sabbath’s “Iron Man” video. Great classic song. I’m actually surprised they integrated this into the show. Looks like there may be stuff some of us veterans recognize in the future.

Detroit's MC5 (Motor City 5) & San Francisco's 'Blue Cheer' were the loudest bands of the 60s. Blue Cheer's cover of Summertime Blues is classic. If you can get a hold of it, by all means give it a listen :good job:

• 2 weeks later...

Headbanger’s Ball and Revolver magazine presents the Top 20 best metal videos of the new millennium. (8/21)

20 - Shadows Fall – “Destroyer of Senses” – The Art of Balance – Century Media

These boys like to drink! A great straight-forward metal song. The singer can really belt out the chorus. Catch the new album, The War Within, coming 9/21/04!

19 – From Autumn to Ashes – “Milligram Smile” – The Fiction We Live – Vagrant

A screamer and a weasel. Interesting combo, but nothing new here. B+ for effort. Sounds like Coheed and Cambria with a guest singer who bellows. A bit like some Green Jelly songs too.

18 – Lamb of God – “Ruin” – As The Palaces Burn – Prosthetic

A little irony here. This band shot this video in a church. Those attending are like “OMG…WTF?!” This band has some great stuff. I need to get this earlier album. I have the latest and it’s pretty damn good.

17 –Lacuna Coil“Heaven’s a Lie”Comalies – Century Media

Damn this singer is hot! And her voice is just as sensual. I wish I would have started this review thread a few weeks earlier. This band was a guest in the studio. There was a time when this song was overplayed, but I can never get enough of it. Great commercial single that just about anyone into rock or metal can enjoy. Check out the low quality video in the song link above.

16 – System of a Down – “Chop Suey” – Toxicity – American/Columbia

This is the song/album that sold me. I enjoy all three of their albums. I actually lived next to an Armenian dude who knew the band. For me though, I would have to say this is the best album.

15 – As I Lay Dying “94 Hours”Frail Words Collapse – Metal Blade

Whole lotta screamin’ going on. Decent thrash metal. Get the free mp3 download on the song link above.

14 – Pantera – “Revolution Is My Name” – Reinventing the Steel – EastWest/EEG

I thoroughly enjoy this band, or what it once was. I also enjoy almost all of the side projects that spawned from it. Starting with Down, this was lead singer Phil Anselmo’s collaborative effort with Pepper Keenan from Corrosion of Conformity. I think the other members may have been from Crowbar. Another of Phil’s bands, Superjoint Ritual, I have heard some badass songs, but haven’t gotten around to hearing the entire album(s). Finally, Damageplan, which features the Paul Brothers (Darrel on guitar and Vinny on drums), is a pretty decent album. The singer is one of the guitarists from Rob Halford’s solo band. Aside from the normal great playing in the song (“Dimebag” Darrel is amazing…definitely one of the top 20 metal guitarists), this song’s video is pretty funny. It shows the band as kids growing up but they already have all their facial hair. It also shares the influences and state of the world the band experienced growing up. Bands such as Kiss, Motorhead, ZZ Top, Led Zeppelin, and Black Sabbath. These are many of the bands I enjoyed growing up also. Especially Kiss. Probably my primary influence for rock and metal.

13 – Killswitch Engage“Rose of Sharyn”The End of Heartache – Roadrunner

I think this band rocks hard. On their third singer, this new guy may have just the right amount of steel balls to keep this machine moving. Very soulful at times, he can sing the highs and lows with perfection. I definitely have to pick this one up. Check out the video in the song link above. Listen/download the mp3 here.

12 – Korn – “Here to Stay” – Untouchables – Immortal/Epic

I am what seems to be now one of the few who enjoy Korn. Whether it be new (nu, neue) metal or whatever, they are the new generation of what is being played. I mean, do we actually think all our influences are going to be around forever? I have been with these guys since the first or second album and they have yet to disappoint me. Good stuff from the guys from Bakersfield, CA.

11 – Every Time I Die“Ebolarama”Hot Damn! – Ferret

Wow! Instead of a mosh pit, it’s a roller rink. Aggressive enough, but not too original. Oh man. Maybe the video itself destroys this song. They also have a dance-off on rollerskates. Vote: Pass

Click the song for the video above.

10 – Tool – “Parabola” – Lateralus – Tool/Dissectional/Volcano

This is the first time seeing this video. As always, Tool Videos Deliver! This…creature with the pulsating face is creepy. And the dude with the tentacle/eyes…oh man. As Ken can attest, this song rocks. The whole album is great. Another band whose works have always satisfied. I love the end sequence in the video. How the man becomes the art shown on the album. Check it out if you can.

9 – In Flames – “Cloud Connected” – ReRoute To Remain – Nuclear Blast

OK, time to review the band sicness loves so much. Keyboard intro leads to an industrial chugg that sets the rhythm as the singer and guitars volley during the first verse. Singer has a versatile voice that works well through the song although he bounces around like Jonathan Davis. One of the guys looks like Wayne Static. Great guitar playing. I think I’ve heard other tracks from the band and enjoyed those also.

8 – Metallica – “St. Anger” – St. Anger – Electra

Wow…we’re Metallica and we’re (possibly the only one’s who are) going to play in San Quentin State Penitentiary. I’m surprised these inmates didn’t rush the band and kill them as soon as Hetfield opened his mouth. Going from balls-out playing to whiney-ballad just destroys this song. See last week’s review for thoughts on the band. Nothing special here. Just showing off Lars’ drums and how James and Co. can play a truly shitty song.

7 – Sevendust – “Praise” – Animosity – TVT

Saw this band live last year. Pretty damn good. Been a fan since the first album. The drummer, Morgan Rose, has a Lars Ulrich complex. But hey, at least that gets you on the cover of Modern Drummer magazine and voted #1 drummer. Decent commercial track off the album. You can download this song at the site.

6 – Avenged Sevenfold – “Unholy Confessions” – Waking the Fallen – Hopeless

No video was played. Guess they were short on time. All the better for the next song. See last week’s review.

5 - Marilyn Manson“mOBSCENE”The Golden Age of Grotesque – nothing/Interscope

Another band I’ve enjoyed (and own) all the albums of. There was a lull on Manson’s 3rd and 4th albums, but he really came back with his Mechanical Animals release. Being a fan of shock rock, this video is no different from his previous efforts. An anthemic song which parallels Faith No More’s song “Be Aggressive,” “mOBSCENE” showcases Manson at his best. This album features the arrival of new bassist Tim Skold, formerly of Skold and Shotgun Messiah. The previous bassist, Jeordie White (aka Twiggy Ramirez) went to join A Perfect Circle. The guitarist for this song, John5, has just recently left the band. Check out the new album, Lest We Forget in stores 9/28/04. Watch the video on the song link above.

4 – Dimmu Borgir“Progenies Of The Great Apocalypse”Death Cult Armageddon – Nuclear Blast

Now this is one hell of a fascinating band. They’ve got their own doom/goth metal theme going with the costumes and makeup. They have a keyboardist who looks like Mr. Hyde behind his “pipe organ.” This band reminds me of a cross between Bathory, Mayhem and King Diamond/Mercyful Fate. Very orchestral. Check out the vid in the song link.

3 – Slipknot – “Wait and Bleed” – Slipknot – Roadrunner

It took a while, but this song finally grew on me. When I first heard the album, it didn’t do much for me. With the release of their third album, I find myself enjoying more of them. I like the theme on this video. Reminds me of the Puppetmaster movies. Nothing like a bunch of twisted puppets. Here’s to you Yoda!

2 – MuDvAyNe – “Dig” – L.D. 50 – No Name/Epic

I think this video/band was the reason I so badly wanted to get my MTV2. When I had learned that they won a VMA and that the video was being played on HBB on that channel, I began what seemed like an endless waiting for the day I would be able to watch the show. I was able to catch the video elsewhere, but my adult life would not be complete without the addition of MTV2 to my television lineup. Seeing that this was my initial contact with the band, anyone who had never seen them before and then saw this video will understand why my jaw dropped to the floor. I was held captive and speechless. This was an amazing song being played by the most colorful, mischievous, bizarre looking guys I had ever seen. The drummer and bassist are amazing. There is a newer bassist with the band now but let’s just say that they left quite an impact. There is a video for this song available at different bandwidths on the site. It also requires a codec.

1 – Slayer“Bloodline”God Hates Us All – American/Island Def Jam

Whoo-hoo…Number 1! Definitely a worthwhile band to take the top spot. This is one bloody video. Nothing like a video showing a kitten lapping up blood. I’ve been listening to these guys since South of Heaven and they’ve only become better through the years. Although drummer Dave Lombardo had left the band prior to this album (I believe he’s back with the band), drummer Paul Bostaph had done a great job as a replacement. One thing that seems out of place is the possible absence of guitarist Jeff Hannemann. Did he leave the band? I’m surprised I don’t have this album yet. Only a matter of time.

Slayer Rules!!

Special guests: Mastodon and Lamb of God (9/4)

Missed the first video…damn. :reallymad:

Fear Factory – “Archetype” – Archetype – Liquid 8

This song is awesome along with the entire album. Christian does a great job being on guitar duties. The new bassist, Byron Stroud (ex-Strapping Young Lad), is pretty good also. I have yet to be let down by the band.

Mastodon in the studio. New album, Leviathan, came out on 8/31. They talk about how the album is based upon the story Moby Dick.

Mastodon – “March of the Fire Ants” – Remission – Relapse

This is some heavy-ass metal. Great solo work. Bass is strong and the drumwork is complex and ever-changing.

Chimaira – “Powertrip” – The Impossibility of Reason – Roadrunner

See the first thread entry for my review on this band.

HIMSA – “A Girl In A Glass” – Courting Tragedy And Disaster – Prosthetic

Nice heavy intro. The singer belts out the lines to the chugging rhythm of the band. Heavy double-bass action here. A decent enough band. Will have to hear more soon.

Atreyu“Right Side of the Bed”The Curse - Victory

See the first thread entry for this song and band.

World Premiere Video:

Mastodon – “Iron Tusk” – Leviathan – Relapse

Another killer-heavy song from the band. I hear some Sabbath influences here. This band focuses on getting the most out of their instruments. Nice drum solo. May have to check these guys out.

36 Crazyfists“Bloodwork”A Snow Capped Romance – Roadrunner

An interesting concept video/song. Lotsa action with ninja and a hot pierced babe in a kimono all set to a comic book story. Bass heavy nu-metal along the lines of Crossfade or Breaking Benjamin. Nothing spectacular but a decent song in the long run. Check out the video in the song link above.

Ministry – “No W” – Sanctuary

I have always been a fan of this band. All the way back to before The Land of Rape and Honey which spawned the hit “Stigmata.” Al Jourgensen has always had a political edge to his work. This one is pretty damn blatant. No George “W” Bush. Familiar vocals with freight-train speed playing. I think they may have even threw an electric violin in this one. No album was listed for this video. I think this may have been a special dedication to Mr. Bush. Many quotes throughout the song; “We’re Fighting Evil”.

Papa Roach“Getting Away With Murder”Getting Away With Murder – Geffen

Check out my review two weeks ago on this band.

Lamb of God – “11th Hour” – As The Palaces Burn – Epic

This song blazes! I definitely have to pick up this previous album now. I love the guitar sound on this one. Damn…I’m getting chills. At the tempo change, this song just starts fucking shredding. Heavy-Ass-Shit! :electroguitar:

Candiria“Blood”What Doesn’t Kill You – Type A

Funky hardcore with heavy rhythm. Not my slice of pie but alright. Appears to be a cross between Bad Brains, NWA, and Biohazard. You can download the mp3 on the song link.

Lamb of God in the studio. Talked about guest appearances on the new album (Ashes Of The Wake). Chris Poland (Megadeth) and Alex Skolnick (Testament, Savatage)played on the instrumental title track. Talked about Ozzfest. Lots of gambling.

Testament – “Over the Wall” – The Legacy – Megaforce/Atlantic

Wow, this is freakin’ old. I have enjoyed this band since nearly their beginning. I think it was the second album, The New Order that I first started listening. The were originally called Legacy but changed their name. The singer, Chuck Billy, has always been a powerful singer. I got to see these guys during the Practice What You Preach (or maybe it was Souls of Black?) tour in the early 90’s in Denver. I believe they opened and were followed by Megadeth and then Judas Priest who were headlining. I think for them, it was the Painkiller tour. Fucking awesome concert. This song has excellent solo work from Alex Skolnick who was trained, along with Kirk Hammett and Steve Vai, by Joe Satriani. Great band to check out if you haven’t.

Every Time I Die – “ I’ve Been Gone A Long Time” – Hot Damn! – Ferret

Another song from the “Ebolarama” guys from last week. This song just sucks. Period. The singer’s head shakes like he’s got palsy. Nice hot babes in the video though. Enough to finish it. Where the hell did that cowbell come from? This ain’t no BOC! Pass this up or you will die every time you hear Every Time I Die.

World Premiere Video:

Killswitch Engage“The End of Heartache”Resident Evil 2 Soundtrack/The End of Heartache –Roadrunner

I love this band. This song rocks and I dig the voice of the singer. The video shows the band performing with images of the movie (Resident Evil: Apocalypse) zooming in and out. I cannot wait to see this movie. Been a fan since the first game was released. The soundtrack actually has quite a few great bands on it such a Slipknot, Lacuna Coil and Rob Zombie. (lol..wonder if they added Rob as a joke.) Added video to song link. Enjoy! :strumma:

As I Lay Dying“Forever”Frail Words Collapse – Metal Blade

Another good song from this band. More screaming. Good backing vocals. The kick drum may be a bit too tight. Otherwise, decent track. Check out the video on the song link above.

Lamb of God – “Laid to Rest” – Ashes of the Wake – Epic

Check out review two weeks ago.

Next week...Dave Mustaine of Megadeth!

• 6 months later...

What happened to next week?

Just wanted to mention that they had the CLASSIC lineup of Anthrax on Headbanger's Ball Saturday. It was cool to see the lineup of Joey Belladonna, Scott Ian, Charlie Benante, Dan Spitz and Frank Bello back together again. I guess they will be doing a few dates and beyond that anything is possible.

• 2 months later...

Special Guest - Crowbar

Motley Crue - "Sick Love Song" - Red, White and Crue - Island/Def Jam

Great song other than the bland chorus. Sounds like a good possibility for a cool sounding new studio album. They seem to be working well together reunited.

Sinai Beach - "Necessary Bloodshed" - Immersed - Victory Records

Speed Thrash, Neu Metal. "Metalcore" A little too much noise to be considered truly enjoyable. Good bridge section. Drummer is pretty damn good. Musically, they seem to be a pretty tight group.

Crowbar in the studio - It's been 4 years since the last album. Rex Brown (ex-Pantera) played bass on the new album, Lifesblood for the Downtrodden. Aside from the original singer/guitarist Kirk Windstein, the remainder of the band are new members. Tour is with Corrosion of Conformity and Alabama Thunderpussy. Crowbar, and the host of HBB's band, Hatebreed, are collaborating on music together. A temporary name for the group is Crowbreed. lol

As I Lay Dying - "Confined" - Shadows are Security - Metal Blade

Had positive reviews for this band on their last album. Seems they've kept up the machine. Good opening. Drums and guitars building tempo until it turns into a brutal assault. Reminiscent of Killswitch Engage. Guitarist does well with secondary/backing vocals. Prefer this over the last video.

Static-X - "I'm The One" - Start A War - Warner Bros.

New effort from Wayne Static and Co. Seem to have recovered well by bringing back original guitarist Koichi Fukuda. Also on board is new drummer Nick Oshiro. I've always enjoyed this band. Look forward to hearing more of this album. You can launch the song or video on the site.

A Life Once Lost - "Vulture" - Hunter - Ferret

About as noisy as Sinai Beach. Not much appealing here. I think I've found a band that has a tasmanian devil as a lead singer.

Crowbar - "Dead Son" - Lifesblood for the Downtrodden - Candlelight

Heavy ass metal from a band well-named. Crowbar have not lost thier touch over the years. Song slows down to a bass-heavy dirge for the chorus. Altogether a great song.

Mastodon - "Blood and Thunder" - Leviathan - Relapse

I think this song rocks. It can also be found on the Alone in the Dark soundtrack (From what I hear, the soundtrack is about the only thing good about the movie). The drummer in this band is amazing. Heavy guitars with a noticeable bass line round out this tune. Great harmony work by the guitarists. You can really hear how precise this band is. This is the second great song (and video) I have heard from these guys off this album.

Meshuggah - ???

Nice industrial metal sound. Trippy CG video. Vocals are whispered. It's like a rollercoaster through dementia. This video is freaking me out. It's like a nightmare sequence from one of the robots in I, Robot. The same musical loop pretty much plays throug the entire song. The video is a must see.

(I knew there was an advantage to recording the show and then doing the review. You won't forget the song information. This one snuck right by me. Sorry.)

Slipknot - "Before I Forget" - Vol. 3 - The Subliminal Verses - Roadrunner

I think this is the song that sold me on the album. I didn't care for the first album (although it's starting to grow on me). Didn't listen to the 2nd album, but this one seems to pique my interest. Appears they did something different on this one. More commercial perhaps? Whatever the case, I need to check out the entire album.

Strapping Young Lad - "Love?" - Alien - Century Media

First video from Devin Townsend's project's new album. Double bass and a lot of screams highlight this "ballad" from SYL. Features Byron Stroud who played bass on Fear Factory's last album, Archetype. One of the funnier lead singers in metal. Although he's going bald, Devin insists on growing the remainder of his hair as long as possible. The rest of this album is pretty brutal. I would highly recommend it.

Godsmack - "Keep Away"- Godsmack - Republic/Universal

I've enjoyed the first 3 albums from this band. Something about Sully Erna's voice and the well written music that always sates my need for an aggressive fix. Maybe it's the "Fuck You" attitude that he displays that propels the music so well.

The Red Chord - "Antman" - Clients - Metal Blade Records

Cookie Monster returns! Tempo changes dominate the song. Straightforward thrash here. Tolerable but nothing spectacularly new here. Drummer looks like he might be 14.

Corrosion of Conformity - "Stonebreaker" - In the Arms of God - Sanctuary

Sabbath-like opening picks up into a headbanging chugger. The singer, Pepper Keenan, joined KirK Windstein of Crowbar to play guitars on the Down album NOLA (New Orleans, Lousiana) with Philip Anselmo, the previous lead singer of Pantera. This song is typical of COC. I've enjoyed the majority of their albums. The new drummer looks a bit like Gary Sinise. Hope he's not as old. More Sabbath-like blur effects as found in the "Iron Man" video. I've been slacking on COC albums as of late. Need to catch up.

Still Remains - "The Worst is Yet to Come" - Of Love and Lunacy - Roadrunner Records

Metal with keyboard accompaniment. Ahhh crap. The chorus just ruined this. Background singer made this sound like I was listening to Big Country. With a metal edge , of course. Musically, not a bad song. Suppose it's not much different than Killswitch or Shadows Fall, with the exception of the keyboards. Will have to hear more from these guys. It's always funny seeing keyboardists headbanging.

Lamb of God - "Now You've Got Something To Die For" - Ashes of the Wake - Epic

Another great thrasher from one of the premier metal bands that have climbed the ladder to success. This album and the last were killer. Nothing better to scream and mosh out your aggression than listening to Lamb of God.

Dark New Day - "Brother" - Twelve Year Silence - Warner Brothers

Been hearing a lot about this band lately. Another dual-singer attack. Screams accompanied by softer lyrics. Not the most aggressive out there, but a decent song. I hear instances of STP, Life of Agony and Disturbed.

Judas Priest - "Revolution" - Angel of Retribution - Epic

The return of Rob Halford at the helm of the Priest! I haven't heard anything on the album other than this song. If this is any indication of the way the album sounds, it looks like Priest may be back in their best form. This lineup hasn't been together since 1991 when Painkiller was released. That was a great tour by the way. The concert was amazing. I enjoyed the interim albums with Tim "Ripper" Owens (now Iced Earth), but it's good to see original band back together. Priest rules!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry everyone. Due to my shitty work schedule, I haven't been able to review, or see for that matter, Headbanger's Ball. It also appears that a certain significant other could never remember to record the show for me.

Three weeks in a row.

So I will take it upon myself to program that little bit of technology called a VCR and try to get this thread moving forward again.

Tonight's guest: As I Lay Dying. Their latest album is a concept album. Shadows are Security is it's name.

Meshuggah - "Shed" - Catch Thirty Three - Nuclear Blast

OK, got that title this time around. Still a badass song.

System of a Down - "Sugar" - System of a Down - American

Originally, I didn't care for this song. I think it was the Toxicity album that really got me into this group. I can't wait for the new album. You can view the Real Video here.

Haste the Day - "When Everything Falls" - When Everything Falls - Solid State

Decent tune. Sounds of Shadows Fall and Killswitch. The chorus showcases backup harmony vocals. While this is tolerable, it doesn't appear too memorable or original. Nice break near the end of the song. There may be hope for this one.

Rob Zombie - "Dragula" - Hellbilly Deluxe - Geffen

Rob Zombie is the shit. His latest movie, The Devil's Rejects, looks pretty good. I don't think Rob Zombie can ever make a bad video.

Drowning Pool - "Killing Me" - Desensitized - Wind Up

This band doen't really cut it for me. Too mainstream or something. Generic metal as far as I can tell. Meh. You can check out the video here.

High on Fire - "DEVILUTION" - Blessed Black Wings - Relapse

Good drum intro. Sounds like Motorhead. Great solo work. Cool steam-train-a-coming, chugga-chugga sound. Will need to check out more.

See previous post's review. Check out the video in the link above.

Black Label Society - "Fire It Up" - Mafia - Artemis

Blues from Zakk? Hell No! This is just a slow dirge from one of the great guitar gods. Seems to be a political video. Or it just may be a lot of fire and explosions to go with the title. No. They are "broadcasting" the lyrics across the bottom of the screen. Definitely a political edge going on here. Zakk rocks.

Hatebreed – “Live for This” – Rise Of Brutality - Universal

Fuck You, Jamey Jasta. [2finga'salute]

See last post's review.

Hate Eternal - "I, Monarch" - I, Monarch - Earache

This is interesting. Starts out with a rudundant little solo while the rhythm builds up. Then it goes into thrash mode. Sounds like Morbid Angel. These guys are kinda scary. The background singer/guitarist looks demonic. Damn, this band may give Deicide a run for it's money. Shitload of double bass. Brutal.

lol. Turns out the lead singer, Eric Rutan, was in Morbid Angel.

Godsmack - "Voodoo" - Godsmack - Republic

I think this song is pretty good but I already voiced myself prevuiosly about Godsmack. This song is(was) a welcome change. Great video.

Raging Speedhorn - "How Much Can A Man Take?" - How the Great Have Fallen -

Sound a bit like Clutch. Two vocalists. Nothing dramatic. Music link may not be working.

Slayer - "Criminally Insane" - Still Reigning DVD - Universal

More great music from the metal gods. This looks to be a cool DVD.

Comeback Kid - "Wake the Dead" - Wake the Dead - Victory

Look! A guy in a Frankenstein mask! This has to be a great video. NOT! A punk-metal shoutfest. Singer looks 17.

Fates Warning - "Simple Human" - FWX - Metal Blade

I love this band. One of the greatest Progressive-Metal bands ever. If you enjoy any type of prog-metal, check out these guys, especially the earlier stuff from the late 80s/early 90s.

Thursday - "Understanding (In a car crash)" - Full Collapse - Island/Def Jam

WTF?? Is this metal Spandau Ballet? "Hey look at my No-Name Town band! Total TRL Fodder.

Worst-Song-Of-The-Night.

Rammstein - "Keine Lust" - Reise, Reise -

Prolly the best Rammstein song I've heard. Keeping up their mocking as usual. It seems themselves this time. All decked out in fat suit and lots of hot, sexy assistants. Little girl-on-girl action too, :).

Next Week: Rob Zombie!

Wel...I had 87.5% of it done until the power went out. Anyone know if Windows 3.1 does automatic backup of Notepad? I am saying this slightly jokingly, but with a sliver of hope.

Wonder if we're getting rolling blackouts again? It was hella hot today.

• 2 weeks later...

This week's special guests: Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler

Throwdown - "Burn" - Vendetta - Trustkill

Not bad. Sounds like a faster, better version of Hatebreed. Look forward to more from these guys. This must be an improvement over my review of one of the songs off the last album, Haymaker. Check out the video at the website.

See last full review.

Geezer and Tony in the studio. Both have new studio albums out. Tony's is called Fused. Glenn Hughes is on vocals. Geezer's new album is called Ohmwork. After Ozzfest, they plan on doing some solo touring. And the big question: Will there be a new Black Sabbath studio album? Geezer states that he hopes so and that they appear to be closer than ever of doing it, but nothing has been deemed definite.

Unearth - "Endless" - The Oncoming Storm - Metal Blade

Not too sure about this song. Very erratic. Not anything I would download or purchase. A slight downgrade from the other single, "The Great Dividers."

Shadows Fall - "Inspiration on Demand" - The War Within - Century Media

I could have sworn I had reviewed this song already. Another great song by one of the newer metal acts. Most of what I have heard on this latest album kicks ass. Very solid playing and great cuts and rhythm. Definitely recommended as part of a metal collection.

See review from 6/18.

Black Sabbath - "Iron Man" - Paranoid - Beat Club

lol..Seeing how young they all were. This classis still rocks. The backround is as trippy as I first saw it. Is that Paul Schaeffer's face in the background?

Killswitch Engage – “The End of Heartache” – Resident Evil 2 Soundtrack/The End of Heartache –Roadrunner

:jipper:

See review from 6/18.

MuDvAyNe - "Happy?" - Lost and Found - Epic

I think this is the only great song I have heard from this album. The last 3 albums were good, but this one seems to have taken a turn. That is my first impression, however. "Determined" wasn't too impressive. This song is a decent commercial release for them, as has been shown by the local airplay, at least where I live. I'll have to give the entire album a thorough once-over to decide where these guys are going in my future. Check out the video at the site.

The Esoteric - "Ram-Faced Boy" - With the Sureness of Sleepwalking - Prosthetic

Interesting. Seems to have a Alternative edge too it. Very drum dominant. singer basically screams the entire song. An ok song. Nothing overwhelming.

Gizmachi - "The Answer" - The Imbuing - Sanctuary

Not heard of this band yet. Harmony vocals switch over to a scream-heavy song. Another just-ok song.

See review from 6/18.

The Black Dahlia Murder – "A Vulgar Picture" - Miasma - Metal Blade

I think I tried to review this last week, but my laptop crashed. This song is alright. Pretty brutal opening. The screaming just doesn't do it for me. You can find the song here.

See review from 6/18.

Bury Your Dead - "The Color of Money" - Cover Your Tracks - Victory

More hard-core. This song does nothing for me. It seems I say that a lot lately. So much of these bands are beginning to sound the same. Just isn't the way it used to be. This song basically stinks. Worst song of the week.

Trivium - "Pull Harder on the Strings of your Martyr" - Ascendancy - Roadrunner

This has to be one of my faves of 2005. Both the band and the song. A brutal song with killer drumming and awesome guitarwork. I cannot get enough of this song. Another of the new acts I would recommend. Pick of the week.

Next week: Wayne Static and Tony Campos of Static-X hosting Headbanger's Ball!

Tony and Wayne from Static-X hosting the show!

Madball - "Heaven - Hell" - Legacy - Ferret

New band for me, nice heavy opening. Sound a bit like Pro-pain. Decent track. Album comes out tomorrow (August 2nd). You can check out the video at the website.

Life of Agony - "Love to Let You Down" - Broken Valley - Epic

This song is pretty good from this band's new release. A little more commercial from what I remember them. Their River Runs Red album is great. You can watch the video at the site.

Static-X in the studio - New album is Start A War. Their goal was to get back to the old school sound. One of the requirements was that they must drink in the studio. They are currently on tour with American Head Charge and Blood Simple. From what I have heard, the album sounds pretty good.

E-town Concrete - "What Can I Do" - Made For War - Ironbound

Another one that starts out like Pro-Pain, but the chorus shows a softer, more melodic side of the singer who growls throughout most of the song. An OK effort.

See review from 6/18.

Korn - "Falling Away from Me" - Issues - Immortal/Epic

I enjoy Korn. Great concept for this video. Reminds me of "We're Not Gonna Take It."

See review from 6/18.

Comeback Kid - "Wake the Dead" - Wake the Dead - Victory

See review from 7/9. thumbsdown

Avenged Sevenfold - "Burn it Down" - City of Evil - Warner Brothers

This was one of the songs I lost the week before last when my power went out. Out of all the reviews, I wish I would have saved this one. Why? Because this band eternally sucks. This has to be one of the worst semi-new bands I have ever heard. I know "metalheads" that swear by them. You can watch their video on their site. Worst song of the week (tie). thumbsdown

Motley Crue - "Sick Love Song" - Red, White and Crue - Island/Def Jam

See review from 6/18.

All That Remains – “The Darkened Heart” - The Darkened Heart – Prosthetic

Another decent track from this band.

Alice in Chains - "We Die Young" - Facelift - Columbia

Hell Yeah! Long Live AIC! Damn I miss Layne. I don't think I really got into these guys until the Dirt album, but I've been with them ever since. I love the sound this band has. I just recently introduced some of my co-workers to Layne's previous side-project, Mad Season. For any of you that enjoy Layne's singing, I highly recommend the Mad Season album.

See review from 6/18.

From Autumn to Ashes – “Milligram Smile” – The Fiction We Live – Vagrant

See review from 8/21.

Fear Before the March of Flames - "Should Have Stayed In the Shadows" - Art Damage - Equal Vision

This is already sounding bad. This is all I will remember:

Wimpy Voice: "Ladies and Gentlemen"

Screamer : "BOYS AND GIRLS"

Worst-song-of-the-night. (tie)

Still Remains - "The Worst is Yet to Come" - Of Love and Lunacy - Roadrunner Records

See review from 6/18.

Trivium - "Pull Harder on the Strings of your Martyr" - Ascendancy - Roadrunner

See review from 7/23 :jipper:

Obituary - "Insane" - Frozen in Time - Roadrunner

Great band. Saw these guys in Erlangen, Germany on October 18th, 1994. They headlined and were accompanied by EyeHateGod and Pitchshifter. Great concert. Good to see them releasing new material. Good premiere video from their new album.

• 4 weeks later...

OK..been on hiatus agian. Not quite as long as last ime though. I will ventuire back 3 weeks and post the week of 8/6 here and 8/13 in the next post.

8/6/2005

System of a Down“Question!”Mesmorize – American/Columbia

Another great song from the new album. Definitely a video worth watching.

WMA 56

WMA 400

Real

Dark New Day - "Brother" - Twelve Year Silence - Warner Brothers

See review 6/18

see review 7/9

Disturbed - "Down With The Sickness" - The Sickness - Giant/Reprise

David Draiman is a metal god. I love this band. Originally, I could not stand them but shortly afterwards, they became a new metal force to reckon with for me. While this is one of their first singles off the first album, they have only gotten better with time. The second album was even better than the first and the singles released on radio for the upcoming Ten-Thousand Fists( September 20th) release are kick ass and sound even better. I cannot wait for the new album!

The Haunted - "The Compromise" - reVOLVEr - Century Media

This song isn't so bad when the singer isn't singing. The break in the middle of the song showcases the band's true talent. Overall, this song isn't doing too much for me. An OK effort.

Dope - "Bitch" - American Apathy - Artemis

New effort from Edsel Dope. A pretty decent cut. Seems to be pretty sexually explicit. Wonder if this is the censored version. I have the first two albums and they are pretty kick-ass. This song is set up to be a WCW intro song. Wrestling fans will know what I am talking about. I hope I can find the info for this one. Mtv2 didn't show any captions. Ok, I found it. Check out the site for the uncensored version under "more VIDEOS." Good stuff. :good job:

Clutch - "Burning Beard" - Robot Hive - Exodus

Another tongue-in-cheek release from the guys of Clutch, I enjoyed their earlier albums. Haven't listened to them much lately. A burning beard looks painful. Not a bad track. Trippy video. Robots and religion. Who woulda thunk?

Nevermore - "Final Product" - This Godless Endeavor - Century Media

1st new track off the new album. I like this one. I used to listen to Warrel back when they were called Sanctuary. Nevermore has been pretty decent though. Nice kick drum triplets and guitar solo. In addition to watching the video above, you can download the song here.

See review from 6/18.

Avenged Sevenfold - "Bat Country" - City of Evil - Warner Brothers

I don't even want to begin watching this. The prejudice of pre-suck emanates from my mind. I am justified. This sucks as bad as anything they have released. Want some cheese with that whine? Kill me now. Worst song of the night. You can go to the website if you enjoy pain. thumbsdown

Cold - "Happens All The Time" - A Different Kind of Pain - Flip/Lava

A decent emotional track. Slower but well-played and written. Not sure if I'm too familiar with these guys. I think they may have a track on the last Resident Evil soundtrack.

WMA 56K

WMA 100K

WMA 300K

WMA 450K

QT 56K

QT 100K

QT 300K

QT 450K

See review 7/9.

See review 8/1.

Meshuggah - "Shed" - Catch Thirty Three - Nuclear Blast

See review 6-18/7-9

See review 6/18.

see review 7/23.

Motorhead - "Brave New world" - Hammered - Sanctuary

Motorhead rocks! Been a fan of these guys for almost 2 decades. One of the few bands that have stayed consistent with their style. Yeah, Lemmy is a scary mo-fo, but being one of the pioneers of metal, we can overlook his giant mole and intimidating appearance. I hope these guys stick around for another decade.

see review 7/23.

see review 7/23.

8/13/05

This week's guest: Madball

Black Label Society - "In This River" - Mafia - Artemis

Any piano songs played by Zakk Wylde are typically good. Seeing that this is Black Label Society makes it no different. And seeing that this is dedicated to Dimebag Darrel of Pantera/Damageplan fame makes it all the more meaningful. I highly recommend this video for any fans of BLS, Pantera, Damageplan, or anyone who wants to see a well performed dedication to someone who was obviously a fellow talent and brother-in-arms to Zakk. This is a saddening video. I got misty-eyed watching it. Thank you Zakk. Song of the week. :good job:

Corrosion of Conformity - "Stonebreaker" - In the Arms of God - Sanctuary

See review 6/18.

Madball in the studio. Legacy is the name of the new album. They go on tour in September.

Dope - "Survive" - American Apathy - Artemis

Another great song by Dope. Will have to look into geting this one. It seems that this album is more aggressive than the last 2. Check out the video (along with last week's uncensored "Bitch") on the website.

MuDvAyNe – “Dig” – L.D. 50 – No Name/Epic

see review 8/21/04

All That Remains – “Tattered On My Sleeve" - The Darkened Heart – Prosthetic

OK, I think I have to say I like this band. This is prolly one of their best. Brutal beginning melds into an acoustic midpoint followed by skilled solowork by the guitarists. Check them out.

See review 6/18/04

See review 8/1.

E-town Concrete - "What Can I Do" - Made For War - Ironbound

See review 8/1/05.

Avenged Sevenfold - "Bat Country" - City of Evil - Warner Brothers

See review 8/6/05. :sick:

See review 6/18/05.

See review 6/18/05.

Five.Bolt.Main - "Pathetic" - Venting - Rock Ridge

Premiere video from this band. Never heard them before. My VCR tape decided to crap out on the quality at this point, but from what I can gather, this was an alright song. Nothing overly unique about this one. WIll need to hear more.

Death By Stereo - "Entomed We Collide" - Death for Life - Epitaph

ScreamFest 2005. Not appealing. Backgrond vocals kill this also.. Should I venture that this band is aptly named? Aside from A7X (Avenged Sevenfold) who took the worst song last week, I think this will have to be nominated as the worst this week. You can download just the song here.

See review from 6/18.

Haste the Day - "When Everything Falls" - When Everything Falls - Solid State

See review 7/9/05.

The Esoteric - "Ram-Faced Boy" - With the Sureness of Sleepwalking - Prosthetic

See review 7/23/05

End of Tape - Wtf?? Oh well. Missed out last Sat. (7/20) due to family reunion. Hope to get next week's.

• 1 month later...

9/24/05

Tonight's Host: Frank Bello of Anthrax

Black Label Society - "In This River" - Mafia - Artemis

See review 8/13/05

Underoath - "It's Dangerous Business Walking Out Your Front Door" - They're Only Chasing Safety – Tooth and Nail / Solid State

I think I reviewed this band before. This sounds a bit too poppy. Singer needs a a shot of testosterone. Another video with the drummer singing background vocals. They really need to quit that stuff. I don't think I've ever heard really good vocals by a drummer. Eagles and Night Ranger don't count. Was that a choir I just heard? Damn. This song is going downhill fast. you can download the song here.

Throwdown in the studio - Labeled as the new Pantera (yeah right!). New album is called Vendetta. Throwdown is currently on the Sounds of the Underground tour.

Trivium - "Gunshot To The Head of Trepidation" - Ascendancy - Roadrunner

I'm starting to love this band. The guitarwork, drumming and harmonies are kick-ass. All three singles have been great. Check out the video here:

WM Hi

WM Med

WM Low

Napalm Death - "Silence is Deafening" - The Code is Red...Long Live the Code - Century Media

Whoa, Nod to old school. I didn't know the singer looked like that. Some things never change. Good old Napalm. I don't think I ever got an album of theirs. Plenty of songs on compilations. I swear this guy looks too yong to be the original singer. Will have to do some reseach on this one. Great mosh-pit tune. Watch the video here.

See review of 7/9/05

See review of 7/23/05

Korn - "Shoots and Ladders" - Korn - Immortal

Bagpipe Metal!! Hell Yeah!. LOL. Seriously, this is a decent cut from the boys from Bakersfeild, CA. I've never heard "Knick-knack paddy-whack, give a dog a bone" and "mary had a little lamb" sound so good.

Anthrax - "Caught in a Mosh" - NFV

Ahh the good old days. This is the album (Among the Living} that got me into this band. I remember buying the album with Kiss' Crazy Nights and Def Leppard's Hysteria from a record store in Big Bear, California. I have yet to hear a non-decent song from these guys, regardless of whether it's Neil Turbin, Joey Belladonna or John Bush singing. I actually got away with having "Efilnikufesin" put in my yearbook as a favorite quote. lol

Clutch - "Burning Beard" - Robot Hive - Exodus

See review 8/16/05

Chimaira - "Nothing Remains" - Chimaira - Roadrunner

Good opening. Chugga chugga chugga. Pretty decent track. Soug actually surprised me. Didn't think this band was capable of this depth of heaviness. I think the only thing keeping them from being Ubermetal is the keyboardist. Sorry guys. Good solo work and double bass.

Norma Jean - "Absentimental" - O' God, The Aftermath - Solid State

"Hello Long Beach! We Will Noise You" What is this crap? I can't believe this band has a record deal. Worst song of the week. Unless Avenged Sevenforld comes on. "O' God, The Aftermath" indeed.

10 Years - "Wasteland" - The Autumn Effect - Universal/Republic

Been hearing this alot on the radio lately. It's catchy, but a bit too commercial. Dude needs to drop the dreads though. This is along the lines of Breaking Benjamin or Crossfade.

Nevermore - "Final Product" - This Godless Endeavor - Century Media

See review 8/6/05

In Flames - "My Sweet Shadow" - Soundtrack to Your Escape - Nuclear Blast

Haven't heard from these guys in a while. This sounds pretty damn good. Great intro. Interesting opening lyrical style. A bit electronic only to jump right into the heavty churning In Flames is known for. The guitarwork is reminiscent of keyboards. I think this is the first track I've heard from the new album. Look forward to hearing more.

Kix - "Don't Close Your Eyes" - Blow My Fuse - Atlantic

OMG. I used to like this song. Back when I first joined the military and was stationed in Colorado. Hair metal days. Used to have the cassette. Think one of my ex-ho's took it. I can still picture certain nights on the base with this song/album playing. Pleasantly surprised.

See review 6/18.

Darkest Hour - "Convalescence" - Undoing Ruin - Victory

About the only thing this band has going for it is the drumming. When these guys were in the studio, I sensed a bit of swollen head syndrome. Song isn't too great. Has a decent outro though.

Next week's guest Underoath and hosted by Brain Fair of Shadow's Fall.

we're gonna see Clutch tomorrow night (Cardiff). :)

10/01/05

Tonight's Host - Brian Fair from Shadow's Fall

Disturbed - "Stricken" - Ten Thousand Fists - Reprise

God this song kicks ass. I think the new album is pretty damn good, aside from the cover of Genesis' "Land of Confusion." That song is worse than their previous cover of Tears for Fears' "Shout." Check out the "Stricken" video on thier website.

HIM - "Wings of a Butterfly" - Dark Light - Warner Brothers

This band is an enigma to me. Guy looks like a cross between Christina Ricci and Geoff Tate of Queensrÿche. Dunno if I'd consider this headbanger material. I think The Cult may even be heavier than this band. It's a tolerable song. A bit too poppy though. Check out the video and song on the website.

Underoath in the studio - Limited edition re-release of They're Only Chasing Safety this Tuesday. October 4th. It will include a DVD, about 2 hours long w/bonus songs, interviews, videos and more. (Reviewer's note - this band looks ghey.)

The Bled - "My Assassin" - Found in the Flood - Vagrant

Whoa! New level of suck iminent! Good to know they're getting the worst song of the week over with early (still hope for A7X!). This band makes Coheed and Cambria sound good. Is that chopsticks? Drummer getting a little carried away on the rim there. OK MTv2, let's get on with the metal here. thumbsdown

Queensrÿche - "Eyes of a Stranger" - Operation: Mindcrime - EMI

Lol. Mention Queensrÿche and looks who pops up. Don't think I've seem this video yet. I loved this band back then. Still have to get Operation: Livecrime so I can see the concept album live in its entirety. Best drumset ever. I'm really glad HBB is starting to play these classic bands and videos. Brings back many memories.

See review 6/18/05

Cold - "Happens All The Time" - A Different Kind of Pain - Flip/Lava

See review 8/6/05

Underoath - "It's Dangerous Business Walking Out Your Front Door" - They're Only Chasing Safety – Tooth and Nail / Solid State

See review 9/24/05

10 Years - "Wasteland" - The Autumn Effect - Universal/Republic

See review 9/24/05

Shadows Fall - "Inspiration on Demand" - The War Within - Century Media

See review 7/23/05

Dope - "Survive" - American Apathy - Artemis

See review 8/13/05

Between the Buried and Me - "Alaska" - Alaska - Victory

Well this is some alternative sounding stuff. Good drumming, Crazy keyboards - More death metal cookie monster harmonics. This is a frenzied noise-fest. Pass.But you can listen to it on their site.

Obituary - "Insane" - Frozen in Time - Roadrunner

See review 8/1/05

MuDvAyNe - "Happy?" - Lost and Found - Epic

See review 7/23/05

See review 7/23/05

A Dozen Furies - "The Cycle" - A Concept From Fire - Sanctuary/Divine

Somewhat decent band reminiscent of Killswitch Engage. Good harmonies. Lotsa explosions. Think that might be just what saves this video. lol Check out the video here:

Windows Media - Low

Windows Media - Med

Windows Media - Hi

Every Time I Die"Kill The Music"Gutter Phenomenon – Ferret

Kill the music indeed. 'Nuff said.

See review 7/23/05

Next week's guest: Disturbed!!