Don Williams

Lord_of_the_Dense

Sixteen #1 Hits Compiled on THE DEFINITIVE COLLECTION for Don Williams, The Most Successful Country Artist of the '70s, Including 'I Believe in You,' 'You're My Best Friend,' 'Tulsa Time' and 'I'm Just a Country Boy'

LOS ANGELES, June 17 /PRNewswire/ -- Without artifice, gimmick, spangled suit or controversy, balladeer Don Williams was the most successful country artist of the '70s. With the intimacy of this "Gentle Giant" offering a refreshing alternative to the macho bluster of many of his contemporaries, he hit #1 on the U.S. country singles chart 17 times and from 1974-1991 claimed an amazing 42 Top 10 hits. Now the 25-selection DON WILLIAMS - THE DEFINITIVE COLLECTION (MCA Nashville/UMe), released June 22, 2004, includes 16 of his #1s, seven other Top 10's, and two other Top 40's.

After his '60s folk group the Pozo-Seco Singers split up, Williams became a songwriter in Nashville, convinced he wasn't a solo performer. But his 1973 debut album proved otherwise as VOLUME ONE's "Come Early Morning" and "Amanda" were Top 40 country hits. 1974's VOLUME III launched a string of Top 10s with the #1 "I Wouldn't Want To Live If You Didn't Want Me" and Top 10 "The Ties That Bind."

The decade also included the #1's "You're My Best Friend," "(Turn Out The Lights and) Love Me Tonight," "Till The Rivers All Run Dry," "Say It Again," "Some Broken Hearts Will Never Mend," "I'm Just A Country Boy," "It Must Be Love," "Love Me Over Again" and "Tulsa Time." The latter was the 1978 Country Music Association Single Of The Year, and Williams was its Male Vocalist of the Year. His other '70s Top 10's on THE DEFINITIVE COLLECTION are "She Never Knew Me," "I've Got a Winner In You," "Rake And Ramblin' Man" and "Good Ole Boys Like Me."

Read entire story here.