Yahoo Attempts to Counter Google's Gmail

Yahoo Attempts to Counter Google's Gmail by Fortifying Service With More Storage

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Internet giant Yahoo! Inc. is fortifying its free e-mail service with 25 times more storage and freeing up millions of previously claimed e-mail addresses in an effort to thwart a looming threat from its increasingly disruptive rival Google Inc.

Beginning Tuesday, all of Yahoo's free e-mail accounts will be upgraded to 100 megabytes, a move spurred by Google's plans to offer 1,000 megabytes of free storage through its Gmail service, which has remained in a test phase since early April.

Yahoo has been offering 4 megabytes of free e-mail storage, although some people with accounts opened several years ago have 6 megabytes of free storage.

Read entire story here.

Why don't they give me the option of removing advertising instead? I'll take that, and they can just give me the 4 megabytes.

Hmmm...no doubt that 4mb will be half filled with spam--thats why I know longer use Yahoo.,..

Guest .::BeatFactory::.

All my spam goes to the junk mail... Yahoo is pretty good about it, they catch nearly everything. I noticed the 100 MB when I checked my email this morning and was kinda surprised... I'm now using 0% of my inbox

All my spam goes to the junk mail... Yahoo is pretty good about it, they catch nearly everything. I noticed the 100 MB when I checked my email this morning and was kinda surprised... I'm now using 0% of my inbox

Agree. I am now using 1% of my quota. Almost all spam gets filtered. I like the fact that now you can send a 10 meg file. I have email with my dsl but I have never used it. I don't even know what the limitations and features are. :)

Guest .::BeatFactory::.

Apparently, they also upgraded their Yahoo! Plus package. If I'm not mistaken, older users like me had 6MB of mail storage, newer users had 4MB, people who paid 20 bucks/year for Yahoo! Plus got 100MB storage, until Tuesday...

Yahoo! Plus people get 2GB of mail storage for the same 20 bucks/year. It has the same 10MB attachments, but it also has 'better spamgaurd,' virus checking, and the "AddressGuard™, you can easily create alias addresses to use when doing business online. If an alias starts receiving spam, just delete it and create another" and of course pop access. Here's a side-by-side comparison of the regular vs plus... not an ad, just putting this up for information: http://mailplus.mail.yahoo.com/help

Beatfactory: ;spammer:

j/k I new there were some differences but never really looked closely. You know, in the grand scheme of things it may be worth the $20 a year. I sure don't need any more space but some of the other features are nice. :)

A friend sent me a gmail invite... to my yahoo, and yahoo thought it was spam, so it went to my junk mail folder. That is the only thing yahoo has ever gotten wrong, as far as spam.

A friend sent me a gmail invite... to my yahoo, and yahoo thought it was spam, so it went to my junk mail folder. That is the only thing yahoo has ever gotten wrong, as far as spam.

:rofl: What do you mean wrong?? They are trying to kill the competition!!!

• 9 months later...

Yahoo bolsters e-mail storage to 1GB

Yahoo on Tuesday said it plans to once again boost its free e-mail storage limit--this time to 1GB, the same amount offered by archrival Google.

Beginning in late April, Yahoo will upgrade free users to the new storage limit of 1GB, up from its current 250MB. The company said it will take about two weeks for all Yahoo Mail users to see the boost.

Yahoo's storage upgrade comes one week after Google started offering Gmail accounts to random visitors of its home page. This has led to heightened speculation in news articles and blogs that Google plans to open Gmail's doors to the public on April 1, a year after it launched in its current test form.

Brad Garlinghouse, Yahoo's vice president of communications products, said in an interview that Yahoo Mail's storage upgrade was not in response to Google's latest moves. Instead, he said Yahoo is "paying attention to what users are doing and how they're using their in-boxes."

Read entire story here.

Yahooooooo! :)

morning all at beatking (9.52 AM here).....i`ve been looking for an alternative to gmail (storage space) and yahoo could be it with this storage space increase to 1GB...wifey has used yahoo for quite some time and we`re finding it (yahoo)very user friendly..... :) :)

......massive thunderstorms rolling across the country today....already some power outages and a couple of houses and buildings hit already.......we may be on and off line most of the day...depending on how the local substation holds out..... :)

i love Gmail so far.......ive had it for about 3 months, i like the simple design that all Google's sites have. It goes to show that you dont need tons of cool graphics and have your page cluttered for a nice look.........i will definately be sticking with GMAIL