What's the best decade for producing great music?

Umma

What's the best decade for producing great music?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What's the best decade for producing great music?

• 50's
    • 60's
    • 70's
    • 80's
    • 90's
    • present
    • all of them
    • none of them (I hate music)
    • other (please explain)

After Nirvana and the whole Seattle grunge thing, music was really left flat-footed, with no real direction. That's why it's been such a melding of country, pop, rap, dance, metal, etc. No one really knew what to do next, so it's all been kind of jumbled into one big wad of blah music. That's just my opinion, of course.

On the other hand, the big machine and big radio had a clamp on what became popular. The web has opened up things quite a bit. The kids today are really knowledgeable about all the trends you mentioned--and now we are seeing some great stuff come out as a result. The problem now is too much choice, and therefore, you need the music bloggers to be the early adopters and spread the word

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, that's really true. Gone are the days of choice on the radio. I rarely listen to it anymore, simply because it's people in suits who decide what gets played. The internet is a great tool to find good music.

Of course, I'm somewhat of a dinosaur in that respect. There's not a lot out there that interests me, and I think that's because of my age. What I grew up with is what I enjoy. And, for 'new' music, I look backwards. The 40's is rife with great music. :thumbsup:

It seems most people vote their age. Young people are not likely to vote 60's and old people aren't voting for new stuff.

oh, i beg your pardon. i just voted for 'now' or whatever it's called. nyah.

The 1970s was a musical Renaissance. It had something for everyone. Baby boomers got Vietnam off their backs, and music bloomed. My favorites came late in the decade, the music of ABBA and the disco explosion.

IMO, the 70s sucked ass. apart from early 70s Stones albums, the only thing good about it was that Punk travelled across the Atlantic and woke us all up. well, most of us, anyway.

did too. :lol:

IMO, the 70s sucked ass.

first half didnt as far as rock was concerned. the second half saw a fusion of rock and jazz, mostly good stuff with the exception of Disco

apart from the dinosaur bands that so many still hold up as godz, real jazz turned to what i call 'jazz lite' during the 70s. *puke*

and disco? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

oh, i beg your pardon. i just voted for 'now' or whatever it's called. nyah.

Your vote doesn't count. You are years too late and the votes are tabulated. How the Hell do you think you can vote in a thread that is yrs old? :happy:

IMO, the 70s sucked ass.

:thumbsup:

Sad but true. We agree on something.

Your vote doesn't count. You are years too late and the votes are tabulated. How the Hell do you think you can vote in a thread that is yrs old? :happy:

:thumbsup:

cos when i saw this the other day, i noticed i never voted? at the time it was first posted, was in Germany, packing up our stuff. nyah. :)

it sounds like you're trying to disenfranchise me. *evil glare* :lol:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

:guns2:Views of A Metalhead:guns2:

Im personally a fan of the late '70s and '80s because thats when Metal really came into its own and

began to flourish. Metal kicked off in the late '60s with bands like Led Zepplin and Black Sabbath

but it wasn't until the '70s that it took off. The New Wave Of British Heavy Metal kicked off and

metal grew and grew.

Being a young gun (23), I am also a fan of the newer stuff. I am an admited Metalcore and Hardcore

fan. I can even tolerate Nu-Metal at times. Diversity through individualism is what music is all about.

If every band played "text-book" Metal then we would have nothing but the same music all the time.

I like that bands are branching out, experimenting, and evolving. Sure, there are the purists out there

that will disagree with new music, but thats fine with me. I love music, new and old, and that wont change.

Edited by Matt Rendo

It's not exactly soft-rock that I like but some of the harder bands mellower stuff, Deep Purple's When a blind man cries, for example; any of Free's ballads, Black Sabbath's Caravan [sorry, forget the exact title], Queensryche's Silent Lucidity [bloody love that one] or Pink Floyd's Wish you were here.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 13 years later...