Salon's Wed A.M. Downloads • 5/26/04

DudeAsInCool

In Thomas Bartlett's column "Wednesday Morning Downloads" at Salon - Flying their freak flag", Bartlett laments "the (lack of) available selection of classical, jazz, folk, world, electronic, blues, etc., "There's so much music I've been enjoying -- recently records by Charles Lloyd, Madvillain, Fennesz, Burnt Sugar, Dirk Powell, Tethered Moon and many more, as well as pianist Pierre Laurent-Aimard's brilliant performances of Ligeti and Messiaen -- that I can't feature in this column because it isn't available online."

This week's Wednsday Morning free downloads include:

"Motel Sex," Danny Cohen, from Dannyland

"Cohen is often referred to as an "outsider" musician, the very concept of which is either bogus or offensive. Then you're tumbled into this glorious piece of Captain Beefheart-style R&B rock, with Cohen's energetic, half-spoken singing and scrumptiously exaggerated Dylanesque end-rhymes."

"On Vacation," The Robot Ate Me, from "On Vacation"

"The Robot Ate Me, a band from San Diego, make indie-pop that is wistful, catchy and a bit goofy, not unlike the Flaming Lips. There are also some tracks from The Robot Ate Me's debut available on the Web page, notably the brilliant "They Ate Themselves." This is a band to watch"

Untitled (Cancion Hiphop Arabe)," Nettle and Aziz Arradi, from "Firecamp Stories Remixes"

"(This is)..a collaboration between a visual artist called D.D. and DJ / rupture, and that they're on the Agriculture, a small experimental-music label, home of the excellent DJ Olive. This is a fascinating, minimalist track, constructed from just four basic elements: acoustic bass, the voice of Aziz Arradi, some Moroccan-sounding drums and some glitchy piano samples."

"Laura," Scissor Sisters, from "Scissor Sisters"

"Like the Darkness, the Scissor Sisters traffic in overt camp, throwing in a healthy dose of glam and a dollop of disco, but they move beyond the Darkness' entertaining but ultimately tiresome caricature into inspired pastiche. They've become stars in Europe on the strength of their amusing, shockingly effective disco version of Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb," and they're on their way to at least cultish fame here in the United States."

"Future Sightings," I Am the World Trade Center, from "The Cover Up"

"Like the rest of "The Cover Up," "Future Sightings" is shiny, happy fun, with the glittery sounds playing off amusingly against fatalistic lyrics like "You can't break me/ Cause I was already this way."

You can get your free downloads and and read Bartlett's full review at Salon.com (You will have to view a short commercial from GE., but this entitles you to a free day pass to the site, which is more than worthwhile):

http://www.salon.com/ent/music/review/wmd/2004/05/26/danny/