Saddam Has Been Caught!

rainbowdemon

Althought this discussion is kinda stupid cause you and me have similar views*, Iraq will not be a safer place in the near future cause all the anti-saddam people will start killing the others, exactly the opposite of what was happening up to now and that has been proven by all the previous "peace campaigns" by the US and Nato. This is not the way to solve these problems.

*similar views=we hate politicians in general

Edited by method77

i agree M77-but let's face it, Saddam was a bad dude. i think the us is not being truthful about its real purpose in Iraq--we're there to get a foothold to try and spread democracy through the Middle East, not to root out terrorists. however, i think once we stirred up the pot, al queda is lending a hand, and now its turned into something totally different. I also think we have not done enough in Afghanistan--if we are gong to go in there, then we should stay the course and help those poor people--and the rest of the world should lend a helping hand, whether they agree with us or not.

didnt the coalition help in Bosnia--or did I miss something???

world peace is another conundrum--you cant get their being arrogant like the Bush administration--it takes a world effort by thoughtful people working together.

This is no doubt amazing news...Since my all my old high school friends are in the military and the town I grew up in is way military/government/intelligence based I was getting calls all morning, and I can tell you...there's nothing like waking up all groogy to "WE GOT THE BASTARD!!!!!! WE GOT EM!!!!"...kind of surreal. So I log on and I see all the pretty IMs of happiness people are leaving...and then I log on to other forums...now you can be the most anti-bush in the world, but I don't think anyone can admit this was not a good thing. But still...what do some people do...ugh...the rant about "Where's Osama"...god...just for ONCE be thankful for where you are right now...we'll get him eventually if he hasn't already been vaporized to pieces by some damn smart bomb. Sorry about my rant...but it just pains me inside to see some people "um...wow...we actually did something...hmm...where tf is osama then huh...huh you intelligence boys huh..."...rrrrrrr...apologies.

ok first of all, I(and the whole democratic world) agree that Saddam is an asshole and he should be panished for his actions but what about the other dictators around the world? My heart is breaking when I see on the news about defenceless africans dying every day from those leaders. I know you people don't see it on the news cause i've been there. Most of all I hate that dumbass Bush and Sharon (not jewish people) and I think they should die in prison along with saddam.

In bosnia it was the UN not the US. It's a different story. You should see how Cosovo looks today. Worst that ever. Anyway, I hate wars that start for oil and money.

INNOCENT PEOPLE DIE DAMNIT!!!

btw....getting Osama will not solve any problems. More people will be angry and nobody wants that.

Glad to hear it, in fact this is the first time I've been online today, so it's the first I've heard about it.

There are some real problems ahead though.

My heart is breaking when I see on the news about defenceless africans dying every day from those leaders.

Most of all I hate that dumbass Bush

Well, I certainly agree with you about Bush. And its a crime that the problems in Africa are being ignored.

But where is the rest of the world?

As the old saying goes, "Success is the best revenge." And while it's nice to see Saddam out of circulation, the real success won't be realized until a democratic and free Iraq and Afghanistan are functioning on their own ... without a U.S. presence necessary to maintain their respective governments. Even Osama bin Laden can't compete with freedom. Iran is trying ... and if their youth is any guide, they're failing. Sustained freedom will be the real victory over terror.

Well put!!

Thanks. BTW, during the heyday of our Afghanistan campaign, there was a political cartoon published I'll never forget ... alluding to the fact that freedom would overcome the Taliban. It showed a bunch of Taliban officials staring wide-eyed in horror at a note sent to them by President Bush. The note read, "Give us Osama bin Laden now. If you don't, we'll send your women to college!"

very well put indeed. What i'm angry about is the fact that (mostly) the americans are happy about catching saddam but Iraq and Afghanistan and Cosovo and.... are still run by a bunch of bullies (spelling?). There is no victory since nothing of the things that was promised by the "freedom fighters" is done. I think all reasonable people agree with this.

I see what you mean m77.

------

What I don't get is why are Bush supporters acting like this is the justification they needed for the whole war? Seriously, it doesn't make much sense. There are many more Ba'ath party members just dying to get their shot at power.

As much as Hussein did try to rule through a cult of personality, he can be replaced. Capturing him is good stuff, but it doesn't automatically translate into a future of democracy and peace. Nor does it really change the international community's view of the whole affair.

------

On a different note, now we get to watch the U.S. attempt to get Hussein tried by the Int'l War Crimes Tribunal. The funny thing is of course, that the U.S. refused to sign on to the IWCT for the obvious reasons, and they don't have a voice in it with which to try Hussein. :blink: Crazy times.

oh god, i've seen this story a thousand times. The Hauge court is a joke. They took Milocevic there but didn't take the turkish leader (can't remember name) for killing all those Kurds in the 80s and 90s. They don't take Sharon there and most important, they don't take Bush and Blair for using illegal scatter bombs killing thousands of innocent kids... blah. Crazy times indeed but hey, the strongest is always right. History proves it

BTW, heard a funny news-byte today. While patrolling Tikrit the day after Saddam was captured, American soldiers were verbally assaulted by townspeople shouting, "SADDAM IS IN OUR HEARTS! SADDAM IS IN OUR BLOOD!" To which an unidentified American soldier yelled back, "SADDAM IS IN OUR JAIL!"

Speaking of Iraq, Saddam, and our justification for going in there, the Daily Telegraph published an article two days ago that could have major ramifications for both George Bush and Tony Blair. This is an excerpt from that article:

Iraq's coalition government claims that it has uncovered documentary proof that Mohammed Atta, the al-Qaeda mastermind of the September 11 attacks against the US, was trained in Baghdad by Abu Nidal, the notorious Palestinian terrorist.

Details of Atta's visit to the Iraqi capital in the summer of 2001, just weeks before he launched the most devastating terrorist attack in US history, are contained in a top secret memo written to Saddam Hussein, the then Iraqi president, by Tahir Jalil Habbush al-Tikriti, the former head of the Iraqi Intelligence Service.

The handwritten memo, a copy of which has been obtained exclusively by the Telegraph, is dated July 1, 2001 and provides a short resume of a three-day "work programme" Atta had undertaken at Abu Nidal's base in Baghdad.

In the memo, Habbush reports that Atta "displayed extraordinary effort" and demonstrated his ability to lead the team that would be "responsible for attacking the targets that we have agreed to destroy".

(link to the article here)

Now ... think about that for a second. If this memo is genuine, it means that the 9/11/2001 attacks came from a Nidal/Hussein collaboration. This gives Bush/Blair absolute justification in going after Saddam.

BUT ...

It also means something else. It means we wrongly accused Osama bin Laden for masterminding the attack ... and as a result, invaded Afghanistan on a false premise when all the Taliban was doing was protecting an "innocent man." There is nothing about that article that connects Atta to Osama but, instead, connects him to Nidal and Hussein. OOPS. Do we give Afghanistan back to the Taliban now and say, "Gee, sorry about that?" Nahhhhhh ... hehe.