Is there any new country worth listening to?

Shawn

I've always liked country, I suppose it makes up 1/4 of all my music. Lately, and by that I mean @ 5 years, I haven't heard more than 1 song that actually excited me. -Murder on Music Row-

I'm a big fan of the "old country", does anyone know of any new artists with that sound?

Guest .::BeatFactory::.

I don't know too much about country but I do like some artists like Kenny Chesney. His song is what actually made me enjoy and listen to country first. It was that one song about losing his wife and in the music video he was in the men's RR and stuff. I can't remember the name.

• 4 weeks later...

Country rock was big for a spell. The Byrds, The Band.. The Dead... Riders of the Purple Sage. Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. I know this is old wave, but its still worth listening to.

PS Speaking of the New Riders--theyre one of our advertisers!

• 2 months later...

lately i've been hearing alot of a genre called "alt-country" new music that embodies what country music really is. im not too familar with it but i'd sure like to be!

i've heard a couple bands that i really like (my morning jacket and songs ohia) put into this catagory.

if you are a true country fan but are weary what you hear on cmt and the radio i HIGHLY suggest you check out these bands.

some good songs are:

honest man - my morning jacket

run thru - my morning jacket

old black hen - song ohia

blue factory flame - songs ohia

and don't foget about the late johnny cash! he released some of his best work leading up to his death.

unearthed in absolutely amazing

• 2 months later...

Well my number 1 pick is Tim McGraw hands down. There is not a song of his that I don't like. Some of my Favorites are "Don't take the Girl", She's Like the Rain, Not a Moment too Soon, Something Like that, I like it I love it, Red Rag top, and the Great Divide. Also give Brooks and Dunn a listen-"Red Dirt Road" "My Maria", "She's Not the Cheatin' Kind". Good stuff I promise. Also, Alan Jackson is a good listen as well especially his early 90's stuff- "Here in the Real World", Wanted, to newer stuff- 5'o clock somewhere, Remember When...

I can't really argue with any of those, although I admit I gave up on country around the time "My Maria" came out.

I don't mind the guys you suggest, but prefer the older "crooning" styles. Admittedly Alan Jackson fits that well. As does George Strait. Any sugestions of artists from the last 5 years along those lines?

I can't really argue with any of those, although I admit I gave up on country around the time "My Maria" came out.

1970's?

My Maria came out in 1973, a 1 hit wonder by B W Stevenson (unless you count his other song, Vahevala, a low charter by Loggins and Messina)

therein lies the problem with modern country--too derivative

it's all remakes or rehashed hooks from older stuff, performed by some hot chick that can't play any instruments, or a guy in a white hat using a guitar as a prop

the entire nashville scene is a thousand songwriters pumping out songs to a few frontmen, with session musicians doing all the real work

Edited by nate

New Country Group Out Called 'Democrats'

By JOHN GEROME

Associated Press Writer

April 22, 2004, 2:31 PM EDT

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- A new group called the Music Row Democrats is trying to shake the perception that country music is full of Republicans.

But it won't be easy. Like the 1967 Sonny James hit says, "It's the Little Things":

For the complete article, click here:

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/news/...nment-headlines

• 4 weeks later...
I've always liked country, I suppose it makes up 1/4 of all my music. Lately, and by that I mean @ 5 years, I haven't heard more than 1 song that actually excited me. -Murder on Music Row-

I'm a big fan of the "old country", does anyone know of any new artists with that sound?

... got a phone call this morning ... i picked up and heard ... hey, you still do dat? put songs on cassette? noel has these songs i want on cassette ... yup, a reason for my père, a frenchie of few words, to call me ... :rolleyes:

anyway, the music was country music by Rhonda Vincent ... good ole foot stompin', banjo, fiddlin' country music ... maybe something you might like, Shawn ...

... side point, as he was watching me with the cd and me puter, he says, oooh, you could make some money doing dat!! ... and you can make one for yourself if you want ... hehe ... a true kodak père/daughter bonding moment ... :P

post-8-1085239855.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

... got a phone call this morning ... i picked up and heard ... hey, you still do dat? put songs on cassette? noel has these songs i want on cassette ... yup, a reason for my père, a frenchie of few words, to call me ... :rolleyes:

anyway, the music was country music by Rhonda Vincent ... good ole foot stompin', banjo, fiddlin' country music ... maybe something you might like, Shawn ...

... side point, as he was watching me with the cd and me puter, he says, oooh, you could make some money doing dat!! ... and you can make one for yourself if you want ... hehe ... a true kodak père/daughter bonding moment ... :P

Yeah Rhonda does have that "roots music" vibe goin' on, she is thought of more as a bluegrass artist than a true mainstream country artist which is why I probably like her stuff

If you guys want to hear some really good country, check out Little Texas. Admittingly I like all of the groups and singers that have been mentioned, although I'm not much of a country fan (It's funny I find myself replying to a country thread when experimental rock and hard rock are by far my favorites), but my favorite has to be Little Texas. They were a young, hit making group in the mid 90s, then they slowly died out.

The guy who sang for them had probably the smoothest country voice you will ever hear. It almost didn't fit country, but they loved them.

Songs to check out:

She'd Give Anything

My Love

What Might Have Been

Kick A Little

God Blessed Texas

I lived with my grandmother until she died in 1999 and all she listened to was country, so I know pretty much every 90s artist that was big, but I never really openly admit to being a big country fan. I guess since everyone else seems to be coming out, I might as well say it to. Country is not that bad.

Another country song to check out:

Restless Heart - When She Cries

If you guys want to hear some really good country, check out Little Texas. Admittingly I like all of the groups and singers that have been mentioned, although I'm not much of a country fan (It's funny I find myself replying to a country thread when experimental rock and hard rock are by far my favorites), but my favorite has to be Little Texas. They were a young, hit making group in the mid 90s, then they slowly died out.

The guy who sang for them had probably the smoothest country voice you will ever hear. It almost didn't fit country, but they loved them.

Songs to check out:

She'd Give Anything

My Love

What Might Have Been

Kick A Little

God Blessed Texas

I lived with my grandmother until she died in 1999 and all she listened to was country, so I know pretty much every 90s artist that was big, but I never really openly admit to being a big country fan. I guess since everyone else seems to be coming out, I might as well say it to. Country is not that bad.

Another country song to check out:

Restless Heart - When She Cries

I actually caught them in concert with Faith Hill and Tim McGraw. It was a great concert and Little Texas might have been the best part. I prefered their up-tempo songs, but there was no denying them their due.

I could never really figure out where they went to after that.

I don't have a clue where they went. They just kind of died off one day. It was strange because they were all pretty young and people loved them. They had all the right makings of a long time hit making group, but just overnight they kind of faded out. This was while lesser artists have lived on.

It happens though, in all types of music.

Well, thanks to a very kind person from another forum I once frequented, I have the following suggestions:

Firstly, Gillian Welch, perhaps some of her stuff is more 'folky' than country but worth a listen none-the-less (bear in mind I'm 22 and was very closed to the idea of listening to anything that even smelt like Country music let alone actually sounded like it)!

Secondly, Asylum Street Spankers; some of their stuff is slightly swing-biased but some of it I would class as Country (maybe I'm being ignorant, but what the hell - after about 10 listens I've actually warmed to their album Spanks For The Memories).

And thirdly, and completely unapoligetically, I would highly recommend either Last Train to Mashville or Last Train to Mashville II by Alabama 3. They (the albums) are a big departure from what most of their fans actually like about them (including me, and I'll let Slum Goddess add her own thoughts) but the albums seem decent enough efforts into the world of Country-inspired music.

I hasten to add none of the above are all-out bluegrass efforts (which is my presumption/interpretation of "old country") but perhaps less extreme examples of country-esque (if I can put it that way) music.

Anyways, it's all out there for next-to-nothing if you know where to look ;) which can't be bad.

just found one: Dwight Yoakam has a new one called Dwights Used Records. Listening to it right now, it has that old school country sound. some of the tracks are bluegrass and some have that traditional sound.

================================================

Throughout his career, Dwight Yoakam has not only created some remarkable music for his own records, but he has recorded some great songs with other artists for their releases and contributed some fantastic tracks to various tribute albums. Taking the best of these songs and adding 2 new tracks, he has compiled an amazing collection that puts them all together on one album for the first time, making for a fun and fantastic collection of rare highlights from his recent past career.

Contains 2 unreleased tracks - an almost Elvis-like take of ‘Loco-Motion’ and a wonderful version of John Prine’s ‘Paradise’. Features collaborations with The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Ralph Stanley, Deana Carter and Heather Myles and covers of material by people like Gram Parson, Johnny Cash, Webb Pierce, the aforementioned John Prine and even ZZ TOP!

Track Listing

1.STOP THE WORLD (AND LET ME OFF)

2.DOWN WHERE THE RIVER BENDS

3.MERCURY BLUES

4.WAITING

5.SOME DARK HOLLER

6.IF YOU WERE ME (AND I WERE YOU)

7.LITTLE CHAPEL

8.LOCO-MOTION

9.MINER'S PRAYER

10.UNDERSTAND YOUR MAN

11.WHEELS