Norman Greenbaum - Spirit In The Sky

DudeAsInCool

"Spirit in the Sky" is a song written and originally recorded by Norman Greenbaum and released in 1969. The single sold 2 million copies in 1969 and 1970.

post-269-1250913650_thumb.jpg

I have that on a 45 and I have the album in mp3. Homeboy is now a goat farmer or some shit. That song was released in the fall of '69 and reached #3 in early '70. It was his only top 40 hit although "Canned Ham" reached #46 that same year and "California Earthquake" reached #93 the next year.

It has been covered quite a bit. Dorothy Morrison (of The Edwin Hawkins Singers) got it to #99 on the charts in 1970. It is on her solo album from 1970 titled, "Brand New Day".

Dr. And The Medics got it to #69 in 1986.

Gareth Gates with The Kumars got some airplay in 2006 I think but I am not sure about the year.

I also have Kentucky Headhunters performing that track but I have no idea what album and don't care. lol

And last but not least I have Henry Lee Summer taking a shot at it live. He released several albums in the 80s and early 90s but this track isn't on any of them that I could find. I think he does a pretty good job of it live. Your opinion may differ but mine is the only opinion that counts. :lol:

Some of these versions charted better in Europe. The chart positions I posted are for the U.S.A.

....And for a limited time you can get a mp3 copy of all the versions listed above in this 35meg link >>>here<<<

You are becoming quite the expert! I like the fuzz guitar on that track. And now I will get to listen to it more clearly :)

I just noticed that the Dorothy Morrison file doesn't have her name in the filename. It is the one that is listed as "07 Spirit In The Sky".

Dude, check out the other versions before you delete them. Most are pretty good imo.

I have the Greenbaum version in cd quality if you want. I put a mp3 copy in the download because all the others were mp3 and it would be easier for people to sample the tracks if they were all the same format.

I just noticed that the Dorothy Morrison file doesn't have her name in the filename. It is the one that is listed as "07 Spirit In The Sky".

Dude, check out the other versions before you delete them. Most are pretty good imo.

I have the Greenbaum version in cd quality if you want. I put a mp3 copy in the download because all the others were mp3 and it would be easier for people to sample the tracks if they were all the same format.

I have a converter, but thanx :)

I love the ambiance of the record sound.

When the levy breaks is still the king but this was pretty good.

edit - and incidentally, I like the kentucky headhunters version

• 2 weeks later...
I've always suspected that rainbowdemon actually is Norman Greenbaum. My theory has never been denied or debunked.

Makes sense. It also fits in with Norman's last know occupation, goat farmer. :lol:

(actually dairy farm but what the heck)