Finnish & Norwegian Metal

DudeAsInCool

Psilaxs at ZP says that the Finnish & Norwegian metal bands are the best. He touts the following bands:

E.G Nightwish, Within Temptation, ET

Do you agree?

I would agree, but I would include most of Europe and not just the countries mentioned. Also, its not just metal, but rock as well. It does seem that the highest concentration of great metal bands are from northern European counties like Finland, Norway, Germany, Sweden, etc... Blind Guardian is probably my favorite metal band of all time, and there are tons of bands like this in that area. I recently discovered a Finnish metal band called Ensiferum that should become huge. After hearing one song, I bought their debut CD off of Ebay. Yes, I bought it. I would encourage any metal fan to check out this band. It is kind of epic melodic black metal, or something like that. They don't have any MP3s on their site yet, but are supposed to soon. I'm sure that anyone who wants to check them out can find some tracks floating around somewhere. :)

I think madrugada is one of the best rock bands around these days. It's not metal but they are from Norway

and yes, crowley is right. Best metal bands come from northern Europe. Always a huge metal scene up there

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
some more Norwegian metal bands I just thought of...

Burzum, theatre of tragedy (!!!), Intruder, imortal, mayhem...

you thought of them but have you ever listened to them?

and try to use the term Black-Metal if you wanna talk about Burzum and Immortal

its more politically correct

Edited by sicness

• 1 month later...

He has a case with Finland but I think Nightwish are a bit lightweight, nice to see someone mention Ensiferum, other excellent Finnish bands:

Hail (Black Metal)

Hin Onde (Folk Metal)

Korpiklaani (Folk Metal)

Moonsorrow (Pagan/Folk Metal)

Reverend Bizarre (Doom Metal)

Solitaire (Speed Metal)

Wizzard (Black Heavy Metal)

Norway hasn't had much to shout about recently and is definitely way behind Sweden. For me tho' Germany is the undisputed champion of Heavy Metal at this point in time.

I just got familiar with Nightwish recently. I would have to agree that they are a bit lightweight. I will say that I enjoy their latest single "Wish I Had An Angel." In addition to sounding moderately heavy, the female single has some operatic properties that she performs. For some reason I was thinking they were from Germany. The video is funny as hell though. A very unique group of people. :D