Live Earth (Updated) - Videos: Al Gore, Nunatak, Madonna, John Mayer, Roger Waters, Cat Stevens, The Police, Spinal Tap, Melissa Etheridge, The Smashing Pumpkins, Crowded House, Beastie Boys & More

DudeAsInCool

You can watch various portions of the concert live HERE in the Control Room or at MSNBC. I've checked out all the links - everything works pretty smoothly, so there should be something you wanna see if you check out the schedule below in the next post. I'm watching the World Music channel; a pretty good reggae/calypso band is on. And there is alot of environmental info to browse at, too.

Last but not least, NPR provides a preview of the bands, and you can follow the proceedings as they unfold at NYTimes. We will post videos as they become available...

post-9-1183831582_thumb.jpg

CONCERT LINEUP

Scheduled order of appearance (subject to change)

LIVE EARTH NEW YORK at Giants Stadium

2:30 p.m. EDT 7/7

KENNA

KT TUNSTALL

TAKING BACK SUNDAY

KEITH URBAN

LUDACRIS

AFI

FALL OUT BOY

AKON

JOHN MAYER

MELISSA ETHERIDGE

ALICIA KEYS

DAVE MATTHEWS BAND

KELLY CLARKSON

KANYE WEST

BON JOVI

SMASHING PUMPKINS

ROGER WATERS

THE POLICE

LIVE EARTH LONDON at Wembley Stadium

1:30 p.m. Local Start 7/7

8:30 a.m. EDT 7/7

GENESIS

RAZORLIGHT

SNOW PATROL

DAMIEN RICE AND DAVID GRAY

KASABIAN

PAOLO NUTINI

BLACK EYED PEAS

JOHN LEGEND

DURAN DURAN

RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS

BLOC PARTY

CORINNE BAILEY RAE

TERRA NAOMI

KEANE

METALLICA

SPINAL TAP

JAMES BLUNT

BEASTIE BOYS

PUSSYCAT DOLLS

FOO FIGHTERS

MADONNA

LIVE EARTH SYDNEY at Aussie Stadium

11:10 a.m. Local Start 7/7

9:10 p.m. EDT 7/6

BLUE KING BROWN

TONI COLLETTE & THE FINISH

SNEAKY SOUND SYSTEM

GHOSTWRITERS

PAUL KELLY

ESKIMO JOE

MISSY HIGGINS

JOHN BUTLER TRIO

WOLFMOTHER

JACK JOHNSON

CROWDED HOUSE

LIVE EARTH HAMBURG at HSH Nordbank Arena

2:00 p.m. Local Start 7/7

8:00 a.m. EDT 7/7

SHAKIRA

SNOOP DOGG

ROGER CICERO

MIA.

SASHA

STEFAN GWILDIS

MARQUESS

MARIA MENA

SILBERMOND

MICHAEL MITTERMEIER

REAMONN

SAMY DELUXE

ENRIQUE IGLESIAS

JAN DELAY

KATIE MELUA

LOTTO KING KARL

REVOLVERHELD

MANDO DIAO

JULI

CHRIS CORNELL

YUSUF

LIVE EARTH TOKYO at Makuhari Messe

12:00 p.m. Local Start

11:00 p.m. EDT 7/6

GENKI ROCKETS

RIZE

AYAKA

AI OTSUKA

AI

XZIBIT

ABINGDON BOYS SCHOOL

COCCO

LINKIN PARK

KUMI KODA

RIHANNA

LIVE EARTH JOHANNESBURG at the Coca-Cola Dome

6:00 p.m. Local Start 7/7

12:00 p.m. EDT 7/7

THE SOWETO GOSPEL CHOIR

DANNY K

BAABA MAAL

ZOLA

THE PARLOTONES

VUSI MAHLASELA

ANGELIQUE KIDJO

JOSS STONE

UB40

LIVE EARTH SHANGHAI at the Oriental Pearl Tower

7:00 p.m. Local Start 7/7

7:00 a.m. EDT 7/7

EVONNE HSU

ANTHONY WONG

SOLER

HUANG XIAO MING

WANG CHUAN JUN AND WANG RUI

12 GIRLS BAND

JOEY YUNG

WINNIE HSIN

PU BA JIA

SARAH BRIGHTMAN

WANG XIA OKUN

EASON CHAN

LIVE EARTH RIO DE JANEIRO at Copacabana Beach

4:00 p.m. Local Start 7/7

3:00 p.m. EDT 7/7

XUXA

JOTA QUEST

MV BILL

MARCELO D2

PHARRELL WILLIAMS

O RAPPA

MACY GRAY

JORGE BEN JOR

LENNY KRAVITZ

LIVE EARTH WASHINGTON, D.C. (Special Broadcast Event)

10:30 a.m. EDT 7/7

(not representative of running order; TBA)

GARTH BROOKS

TRISHA YEARWOOD

BLUES NATION

Get the full schedule of events for D.C.

LIVE EARTH KYOTO (Special Broadcast Event)

11:00 p.m. Local Start 7/7

10:00 a.m. EDT 7/7

(not representative of running order; TBA)

BONNIE PINK

MICHAEL NYMAN

RIP SLYME

I'm listening to Keith Urban and Alicia Keys perform 'Gimme Shelter' from the Washington, DC show - pretty good performance, even though Keith is a JERK

I've never seen Madonna play an electric guitar before :) - she thinks she's Jimi Hendrix - you have to see the feedback trick she did at the end of the first song.

BTW--the dancers moved around like storm trooopers - very odd choreography

The second song with a Spanish gypsy troupe is more interesting - she certainly brings a lot of production to her shows. Like her or not, she certainly works her ass off.

Photo Madonna & Guitar - NYTimes

post-9-1183850826_thumb.jpg

John Mayer is playing now in NY.... His recent material is a bit more rythm and blues oriented than the pop stuff he was doing - I like his guitar work. Here are his thoughts before the concert from his blog You can watch him perform 'Belief', 'Vultures', 'Gravity' and 'Waiting On The World' right HERE. Or watch below:

Kevin Bacon did a fear speech - would be better if he stuck to helpful suggestions; just sayin'.

In a biting criticism of American apathy towards what is happening in Washington, DC. and consumerism..Melissa Etheridge who write the song for 'An Inconvenient Truth", encourages the crowd to do better and take back America from the politicians who try to divide us. Next to The Smashing Pumpkins, this was the best performance of the day, and certainly the most socially conscious. Watch It Here or below:

The beautiful Alicia Keys brought a big band to the party and went thru a series of pop tunes, including New York, New York, Living In The City and Mercy, Mercy Me - Watch her Here

post-9-1183846932_thumb.jpg

Jane Goodall, best known for her work with Chimpanzees, probably gave the best talk of the day: she asked the audience to answer the crying call of the Chimps from the jungle and help save our forests.

post-9-1183848721_thumb.jpg

Dave Matthews Band performed a nice professional set without any obligatory political speeches. Then again, when is the last time anyone got excited about Dave Matthews?

post-9-1183849471_thumb.jpg

Kanye West also brought a big band, who sounded pretty good, but it looked like he was the only one wanting to party :) I would have preferred to just hear his band instead of his incessant rap

post-9-1183852637_thumb.jpg

Bobby Kennedy gave a helluva speech--he said we need to get rid of the corporate toadie legislators in Washington, the corrupt treasonous firms that put profit ahead of global humanity and a media that thinks Paris Hilton is more important than the issues we face everyday.

Jon Bon Jovi is on. A confession, I recognize his material, but can't name a single song he ever did - I don't really like his music; it seems like manufactured crap to me, no matter how professional his presentation is. To be fair, the delivery of 'Wanted, Dead or Alive' this evening isn't bad.... and if I was in an 80s mood, I might say I loved it. He aptly finished with 'Can't Go Home'... he has our permission :lol:

But he's a nice guy - he once gave a bud a new strat just because he asked.

post-9-1183854437_thumb.jpg

Ok, finally some energy - The Smashing Pumpkins have taken the stage in NY. Billy Corgan plugged the new SP cd, Zeitgeist, and said he hoped that people actually bought it instead of illegally downloading it like all their other albums...and then said he was just kidding. :) They played a tight short set...definitely the strongest band so far...

NY Times Critic Jon Pareles sums it up better than me:

"Then the new Smashing Pumpkins arrived, dressed in white, and charged into a barreling, pummeling triplet beat as Billy Corgan unleashed a landscape-leveling power-chord drone and yowled words that may well have been “Air pollution!” He worked over his guitar, and the only posturing came when he briefly and gratuitously played part of “The Star-Spangled Banner” within a solo. It was the sound itself that crashed through the decorum, and it arrived with elemental force."

Watch them Here

Or download the set at Deaf Indie Elephants:

01 United States (Download MP3)

02 Bullet With Butterfly Wings (Download MP3)

03 Tarantula (Download MP3)

04 Today (Download MP3)

Or get a quicktime video of Today at KrupsJustSayin'

post-9-1183959639_thumb.jpg

I missed Roger..so nothing to report. The Police performed a solid set, closing with SOS with John Mayer and and Kanye West..not sure if the Kanye West edition worked for the song or not, but Im sure it brought energy to the stadium.

Roxanne

SOS - The Police with John Mayer and Kanye West

Nunatak - How Many People (Recorded by Nunatak at the British Antarctic Survey Rothera Research Station on Adelaide Island, Antarctica for Live Earth)