Most Underappreciated Bands

Rolling Stone has compiled their top 25 - who would you like to add?

1. Tom Waits

2. The Replacements

3. Cheap Trick

4. Sonic Youth

5. Warren Zevon

6. Big Star

7. The Pharcyde

8. Roxy Music

9. Talking Heads

10. Bob Seger

11. Fugazi

13. The Cramps

14. The New York Dolls

15. The Band

16. The Cars

17. Pogues

18. Alice Cooper

19. Dinosaur Jr

20. Sleater-Kinney

21. Husker Du

22. Devo

23. Wilco

24. Tom Petty

25. Ween

Underappreciated old bands:

It's A Beautiful Day

Quicksilver Messenger Service

Canned Heat

Jesse Colin Young

I agree on these

I'll lobby more for Spanky and Our Gang. Their vocal arrangements were much more complex than anyone, including the Mamas and the Papas. Until Bohemian Rhapsody came along, nobody had even attempted such complicated voice charts, and Spanky & Our Gang didn't have the benefit of the more advanced studio techniques that Queen had.

I'll lobby more for Spanky and Our Gang. Their vocal arrangements were much more complex than anyone, including the Mamas and the Papas. Until Bohemian Rhapsody came along, nobody had even attempted such complicated voice charts, and Spanky & Our Gang didn't have the benefit of the more advanced studio techniques that Queen had.

I never liked Queen either (but dont tell RB :) ) I did like Yes, which had intereseting harmonies... In all honesty, I havent listened to a lot of Spanky's stuff. There are tons of early bands and singers that could be on this list. 25 seems to limiting - I would put Joni Mitchell and Rickie Lee Jones on top of all of those. JJ Cale and Ry Cooder wouldnt be far behind

I'd like to add Thin Lizzy. A great, great band live. I was at the Monsters of Rock* festival in 1983, in Germany, and of all the bands there...

Twisted Sister

Meatloaf

Blue Oyster Cult

Whitesnake

ZZ Top

Thin Lizzy

Thin Lizzy easily blew them all away. Phil Lynott was charismatic, and had them all in the palm of his hand from the opening powerchord for'Jailbreak'

Their live double album, 'Live and Dangerous' is something I'd highly recommend to anyone who's never really given them a good listen.

Also, I whole heartedly agree with The Alice Cooper Band. Those cats were tight. Listen to anything from Love It To Death up to Muscle Of Love, and you'll see. these guys were extremely talented and knowledgeable about music. A.C.'s first two albums, Pretties For You and Easy Action, were very experimental and kind of all over the place. But when Love It To Death came out, it was easy to see, they had hit their stride and found their niche.

*Interestingly enough, I did a search of the Monsters of Rock festivals, and the one from 1983 also lists Dio, but I'll be darned if I remember it. LOL. Hey, I was 19, drunk and high on hash, ok? Give me a break!

100 most underrated bands...

1. The Animals

2. Spirit

3. Wishbone Ash

4. Ten Years After

5. Nazareth

6. Quicksilver Messenger Service

7. Uriah Heep

8. Link Wray

9. Big Star

10. Captain Beyond

11. The Great Society

12. Love

13. Johnny Winter

14. John Mayall's Bluesbreakers

15. The Johnny Burnette Trio

16. Pretty Things

17. Mountain

18. The Mahavishnu Orchestra

19. Pink Floyd (early years)

20. The Amboy Dukes

21. Rory Gallagher

22. Iron Butterfly

23. UFO

24. Them

25. Blue Cheer

26. Robin Trower

27. Argent

28. Montrose

29. Humble Pie

30. Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels

31. Atomic Rooster

32. Budgie

33. MC5

34. The United States Of America

35. Free

36. Professor Longhair

37. It's A Beautiful Day

38. Moby Grape

39. Bloodrock

40. Savoy Brown

41. The Small Faces

42. The Smithereens

43. Electric Prunes

44. Paul Butterfield Blues Band

45. The 13th Floor Elevators

46. Rick Derringer

47. Sugarloaf

48. The Five Royales

49. Triumph

50. Taste

51. The Nice

52. Crosby & Nash

53. Dick Dale

54. The Lovin' Spoonful

55. The Outfield

56. Fleetwood Mac (original band)

57. Gin Blossoms

58. April Wine

59. The Zombies

60. Sweet

61. Procol Harum

62. Jerry Rafferty

63. The Hollies

64. Martin Briley

65. Buffalo Springfield

66. Glass Tiger

67. Lee Dorsey

68. Clear Light

69. Captain Beefheart

70. Canned Heat

71. Cactus

72. Badfinger

73. Mothers Of Invention

74. Curved Air

75. The Blasters

76. Spooky Tooth

77. Foghat

78. Ted Nugent

79. Brian Setzer & The Stray Cats

80. The Troggs

81. Alan Parsons Project

82. Dramarama

83. Billy Lee Riley

84. Eddie Floyd

85. Cannibal & The Headhunters

86. Dwight Twilley

87. McGuinn, Clark, & Hillman

88. Charlie Sexton

89. Electric Flag

90. Jason & The Scorchers

91. The Groundhogs

92. Jo Jo Gunne

93. Don Covay

94. Samson

95. Bobby Freeman

96. Emerson Lake & Powell

97. Kyuss

98. Shadow Gallery

99. Tony Carey/Planet P Project

100. Rockpile

source:dreamdoor

I'd like to add Thin Lizzy. A great, great band live. I was at the Monsters of Rock* festival in 1983, in Germany, and of all the bands there...

Excellent band live but their studio stuff doesn't really represent that. It's crap...

I'll add The Sensational Alex Harvey Band. I don't know if the Sensational Alex Harvey Band without Alex will be worth anything but here's to them for giving it a whirl...

Excellent band live but their studio stuff doesn't really represent that. It's crap...

I'll add The Sensational Alex Harvey Band. I don't know if the Sensational Alex Harvey Band without Alex will be worth anything but here's to them for giving it a whirl...

I thought you were going to add Rory Gallagher and Taste...or Dave Edmunds...or Fairport Convention

I thought you were going to add Rory Gallagher and Taste...or Dave Edmunds...or Fairport Convention

Rory Gallagher is already in Kiwi's list... the other two you mention passed me by totally.

That's the problem with lists. They can never be comprehensive due to the diversity of everybody's opinion or taste or lack of it. :)

why is Rory underappreciated? I think he is really appreciated

yes but you're incredibly intelligent and appreciative...

Emerson Lake & Powell

Think it must be Emerson Lake & Palmer

do i have right friends :thumbsup:

my choice from the list .. McGuinn, Clark, & Hillman

Edited by DUTCH-ONLINE

Pretty sure I saw them once. They were the opening band for Queen in early 1976.

But I'm not 100% sure of this.

Emerson Lake & Powell

Think it must be Emerson Lake & Palmer

do i have right friends :thumbsup:

my choice from the list .. McGuinn, Clark, & Hillman

no dutch...it`s emerson lake and powell...as in the late, great rock/heavy metal drummer cozy powell who played with keith emerson and greg lake after original elp drummer carl palmer left to play with supergroup Asia...powell played drums with dio and black sabbath amongst others... :)

Emerson, Lake & Powell, sometimes abbreviated as ELPowell, were an English rock band, an offshoot or variant lineup of Emerson, Lake & Palmer that released one official studio album in 1986.

Keith Emerson and Greg Lake had planned to re-form the original ELP in 1985 but drummer Carl Palmer was unavailable because of contractual obligations to Asia and so they approached Cozy Powell to replace him. The band have always insisted that it was a coincidence that his surname also happened to start with a P, thus allowing the band to retain its original initials, although they also joked about having approached "Phil Pollins" and "Ringo Parr" before Powell agreed to join.

The band's self-titled studio album was a return to the familiar ELP style, with long progressive rock suites, mellow ballads and a classical theme (Mars, the Bringer of War by Gustav Holst). One song, "The Score", even references the lyric "Welcome back, my friends, to the show that never ends" from ELP's "Karn Evil 9: First Impression" (on the album Brain Salad Surgery).

In live performance the band of course also performed classic ELP and Nice material.

The band's live tour was marred by a dispute which led to the band firing its management, and "ELPowell" disbanded without recording a second album. Emerson rejoined Palmer and with Robert Berry formed the band 3 in 1988, before the original ELP lineup reformed for 1992's album Black Moon, which bears some stylistic similarities to the Emerson, Lake & Powell album.

Some ELPowell studio rehearsals and live recordings found their way onto bootlegs in the 1990s. The material was subsequently remastered and given an official release on two 2003 CDs, available via the ELP website.

source:wikipedia

post-193-1178289538_thumb.png

Rory Gallagher is already in Kiwi's list... the other two you mention passed me by totally.

That's the problem with lists. They can never be comprehensive due to the diversity of everybody's opinion or taste or lack of it. :)

correct mate...lists and polls are never truly representative...they are more indicative...they are a moment in time... :)

alex harvey was very different..a truly individual performer...i don`t know if i want any part of the new sahb incarnation...having said that zal cleminson is still with them...a very good, original and underrated guitarist indeed...he should help them (SAHB) to retain some of their old feel and sound... :)

post-193-1178290314.jpg

alex harvey was very different..a truly individual performer...i don`t know if i want any part of the new sahb incarnation...having said that zal cleminson is still with them...a very good, original and underrated guitarist indeed...he should help them (SAHB) to retain some of their old feel and sound... :)

Shouldn't that be SAHBWA? :lol:

Yep, Zal Cleminson is very much underrated. He did a short stint with Nazareth but I don't believe I've heard anything of him since. From that aspect it may be nice to hear him do some old SAHB tunes again regardless of the replacement vocals being up to scratch...

no dutch...it`s emerson lake and powell...as in the late, great rock/heavy metal drummer cozy powell who played with keith emerson and greg lake after original elp drummer carl palmer left to play with supergroup Asia...powell played drums with dio and black sabbath amongst others... :)

Emerson, Lake & Powell, sometimes abbreviated as ELPowell, were an English rock band, an offshoot or variant lineup of Emerson, Lake & Palmer that released one official studio album in 1986.

Keith Emerson and Greg Lake had planned to re-form the original ELP in 1985 but drummer Carl Palmer was unavailable because of contractual obligations to Asia and so they approached Cozy Powell to replace him. The band have always insisted that it was a coincidence that his surname also happened to start with a P, thus allowing the band to retain its original initials, although they also joked about having approached "Phil Pollins" and "Ringo Parr" before Powell agreed to join.

The band's self-titled studio album was a return to the familiar ELP style, with long progressive rock suites, mellow ballads and a classical theme (Mars, the Bringer of War by Gustav Holst). One song, "The Score", even references the lyric "Welcome back, my friends, to the show that never ends" from ELP's "Karn Evil 9: First Impression" (on the album Brain Salad Surgery).

In live performance the band of course also performed classic ELP and Nice material.

The band's live tour was marred by a dispute which led to the band firing its management, and "ELPowell" disbanded without recording a second album. Emerson rejoined Palmer and with Robert Berry formed the band 3 in 1988, before the original ELP lineup reformed for 1992's album Black Moon, which bears some stylistic similarities to the Emerson, Lake & Powell album.

Some ELPowell studio rehearsals and live recordings found their way onto bootlegs in the 1990s. The material was subsequently remastered and given an official release on two 2003 CDs, available via the ELP website.

source:wikipedia

okay thanks i missed this part from this super group