KCRWs Today's Top Tune • Thurs 1/14/2010 • Burkina Electric: Lig

DudeAsInCool

KCRW's "Today's Top Tune" is song a day, from KCRWmusic.com, that represents a cross section of KCRW's eclectic music format. Tracks selected are chosen from recent and upcoming releases as well as songs performed live on Morning Becomes Eclectic. Each song will be available for download and podcast 24 hours or until the next song is posted.

I will post each day's offering and any information about the artist that is available.

You can get more information on Today's Top Tune or subscribe to the podcast RIGHT HERE or LISTEN to the post here.

post-9-1146899848_thumb.jpg

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today's Top Tune:

"My Room is White (Flying Locus Remix)" by Mia Doi Todd

from the album "La Ninja: Amor & Other Dreams of Manzanita"

Artist: www.miadoitodd.com

Today's free podcast/free mp3 is

Tanghetto 4:27 4/27/06 Blue Monday from the album 'La Mujer de Mi Hermano' - www.tanghetto.com

Tanghetto is an Argentinian electronic band...for a moment I thought I was listening to the new Gotan Project album :)

KCRW Daily Downloads

Josh Rouse came in to the public eye last year with his acclaimed album Nashville. Today You can check out a new cut from his new album 'Subitulo' - It Looks Like Love right here:

Play Me

You can check out the artist's website here:

Josh Rouse

Bitter:Sweet The Mating Game from the album 'The Mating Game' reminds me of the pop music from James Bond - check it out, you will like it...

Visit the band's website at: www.bittersweetmusic.com

Here is some biographical information from MySpace.

Shana Halligan//Kiran Shahani

There is something mesmerizing and indisputable about things in life that come together by the mystery of fate be it a personal relationship, an artistic endeavor, or a simple matter of being in the right place at the right time. When all three converge, the result is something that goes beyond any realm of possibility

Such is the story of Los Angeles music duo BITTER:SWEET (Shana Halligan and Kiran Shahani) whose lives seemed to have over-lapped but never crossed until the perfect moment in time. How else can you explain two people who lived one block away from each other, and who recorded just one wall away, who never connected until an anonymous online posting? That is exactly how BITTER:SWEET came to make their intoxicating and playful debut artist album, THE MATING GAME, set for release April 4, 2006 on Quango Music. The beautiful, 11-track work features the extensive musicality of two respected musicians who now exist in perfect harmony.

On the album, Shana and Kiran stay true to their own unique musical souls by embracing everything from the previously untapped jazz qualities of Shanas voice to Kirans love of any type of music and production that makes your body move. Songs unfold like little vignettes of romantic interludes and scenes from enchanting films of days gone by on The Mating Game. Fans of Portishead, Zero 7, Serge Gainsbourg, Everything But the Girl and Bjork will fall in love with the albums sound.

When Kiran (producer, composer) and Shana (vocals, melodies, lyrics, co-producer) met, they were both not that into the L.A. music scene. There was a time when I had even stopped listening to music, explains Shana. But sometimes youre just meant to do things in life...

As a Southern California native, Shana had just returned home from having a beautiful experience in Europe when she decided to answer her first-ever ad for a singer. Not only was it an ad, it was on Craigs List! I cant believe I answered an ad, Shana says now, but I just did it! As fate would have it, her call was the first to be answered by music producer and dance music enthusiast Kiran, who, as a founding member of the Supreme Beings of Leisure, was largely responsible for their self-titled debut album (the one that broke the electronic/trip-hop group by selling more than 250,000 copies worldwide).

When we met, we agreed to just play some cool music together, while sticking completely to who we were as individuals, the two later reveal. The energy around what we did was so natural and fluid, we just kept doing it. Now each one cant imagine working without the other. Kiran now admits, Id been dreaming about her for a very long time.

After collaborating, Shana and Kiran discovered that they had the same exact taste in music (even in guilty pleasure bands from the 70s and 80s you know, the ones you wont admit unless you really trust someone!). They also discovered that six months prior to meeting, they had recorded just one wall away from each other in the same studio. They also shared numerous friends in common, and even stranger still, had lived one street away from each other, and still had never met until now.

On The Mating Game, echoes of each musicians past (present and future) is revealed in infectious songs like the sultry, exotic opening track Dont Forget to Breathe, which sets the tone for the entire album. Moving Forward is one of Kirans favorites for its amazing vocal performance, and is a track that Shana has a deep emotional attachment to. Solid production and a Vegas cool is the calling card of The Mating Game with its big band sass and zany James Bond feel. Shanas father (Dick Halligan) helped to write, arrange and conduct the strings heard on all of the aforementioned songs, as well as the angelic Bittersweet Faith.

The lovely yet quieted Heaven stands as a bewitching late-night ballad that bids a lover to stay just a little bit longer. Whereas, Our Remains is a super sexy tune accented by lush lyrics, drum n bass beats and stellar downtempo production. Down n dirty funk helps define Overdue, while a swaggering, dreamy confidence is heard on Moody. Overall, Shanas melodically sweet-and-sexy vocals paired with Kirans experimental pop beats and masterful programming make for an album that will stand the test of time.

BITTER:SWEETs debut album The Mating Game will be released April 4, 2006 through Quango Music Group.

"Funeral" by Band of Horses from the album "Everything All The Time"

Play Me

This is a great band and this song has been on my rotation for a while

KCRW posts free daily downloads from established and up and coming artists. If you subscribe thru ITunes, which is also free, they often send additional mp3s in addition to what is posted on their website. Enjoy.

Monday, 5/22/06 - Ulrich Schnauss Passing By 'Far Away Trains Passing By'

Play Me

Visit the artist's website

http://www.ulrich-schnauss.net

If you subscribe to KCRW's daily download, they sent me the following cuts this weekend via ITunes...don't know why it's not up on their site yet, but I will update when they do...

Trespassers William 5:55 5/26/06 'Safe Sound' from the album 'Having', www.trespasserswilliam.com

Thievery Corporation 2:45 5/29/06 'The Passing Stars - featuring Pam Bricker' from the benefit single for several charities working in the regions of Belarus, Ukraine and Russia affected by the Chernobyl nuclear disaster, www.thieverycorporation.com

Zero 7 3:47 5/30/06 'Features' from the album 'The Garden', www.zero7.co.uk