Best Soul Songs of All Time

DudeAsInCool

1 TEMPTATIONS - MY GIRL

"My Girl" was released December 21, 1964, is a 1965 number-one single recorded by The Temptations for the Motown label. Written and produced by Miracles members Smokey Robinson and Ronald White, the song became the Temptations' first U.S. number-one single, and is today their signature song. Robinson's inspiration for writing this song was his wife, Miracles member Claudette Rogers Robinson.

My Girl Lyrics

You can find it at Amazon.

post-9-1201475377.jpg

• 2 years later...

2 ARETHA FRANKLIN - RESPECT

"Respect" firmly launched Franklin to superstardom. Written and originally recorded by Otis Redding, Franklin's feminist version of the song became a hit reaching #1 on both the R&B and the Pop charts and helping her Atlantic debut album, I Never Loved A Man The Way I Love You, reach million-seller status.

Respect - Aretha Franklin Lyrics

post-9-1201476737_thumb.jpg

3 MARVIN GAYE - WHAT'S GOING ON

Released on May 21, 1971, "What's Going On"reflected the beginning of a new trend in soul music. With introspective lyrics about drug abuse, poverty and the Vietnam War, the album was an immediate sensation and has endured as a classic of early-1970s soul. In worldwide critics/artists and public surveys it is constantly voted as one of the landmark recordings in pop music history and is considered to be one of the greatest albums ever made. In 2003, the album was ranked number 6 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time

What's Going On Lyrics

post-9-1201477814_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

4 (SMOKEY ROBINSON) THE MIRACLES - OOH BABY BABY

"Ohh Baby Baby" was a 1965 hit single by The Miracles for the Tamla (Motown) label, and is considered the group's signature song. Written by Robinson and Pete Moore and produced by Robinson, "Ooh Baby Baby" was a #4 hit on the Billboard magazine R&B singles chart, and reached #16 on the Billboard Hot 100. The song is one of the Miracles' most covered tunes, having achieved its greatest commercial success when Linda Ronstadt included it in her double-platinum album Living in the USA with the single reaching #7 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1978. In 2004 Rolling Stone ranked The Miracles' original version #262 on their list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

MIRACLES lyrics

post-9-1201477393_thumb.jpg

5 MARVIN GAYE - LET'S GET IT ON

Released on August 28, 1973, "Let's Get It On" surpassed What's Going On as the biggest-selling recording of his tenure with Motown. Peaking at number two on the pop albums chart and staying at number-one on the R&B album chart (then the Top Black Albums chart) for eleven weeks, making it the biggest-selling R&B album that year and Motown's largest-selling recording ever, selling over three million units between 1973 and 1975. "Let's Get It On"became Marvin Gaye's second number-one pop single.

Rare video of Marvin Gaye performing the song live

Let's Get It On Lyrics

You can get it at Amazon.

post-9-1201478198_thumb.jpg

6 DELLS - STAY IN MY CORNER

The Dells are an influential R&B musical group and worked together for over four decades. Formed in 1952 after attending high school together, the Dells' repertoire has included doo-wop, jazz, soul, disco and contemporary rhythm and blues. The group's lineup hasn't changed much since 1960 and has consisted of falsetto leader Johnny Carter, baritone lead singer Marvin Junior and background singers Michael McGill, Verne Allison and Chuck Barksdale. "Stay In My Corner" became the group's first top ten pop hit in 1968.

THE DELLS lyrics

post-9-1201478487_thumb.jpg

7 PERCY SLEDGE - WHEN A MAN LOVES A WOMAN

"When A Man Loves A Woman" is a song recorded by Percy Sledge in 1966 at Muscle Shoals, AL. It made number one on both the Billboard Hot 100 and R&B singles charts and is listed fifty-fourth in the List of Rolling Stone magazine's 500 greatest songs of all time.

When A Man Loves A Woman Lyrics

post-9-1201478638_thumb.jpg

8 SAM COOKE - A CHANGE IS GONNA COME

"A Change Is Going To Come" is a 1965 single by R&B singer-songwriter Sam Cooke. It was written and first recorded in 1963 and released under the RCA Victor label shortly after his death in late 1964. The song has come to exemplify the sixties Civil Rights Movement and appears in the "Malcolm X" soundtrack.

A Change Is Gonna Come Lyrics

post-9-1201478817_thumb.jpg

9 IMPRESSIONS - FOR YOUR PRECIOUS LOVE

The Impressions are an American music group from Chicago, active from 1958 until present. Their repertoire includes doo-wop, gospel, soul, and R&B. The group was founded as The Roosters by Chattanooga, Tennessee natives Sam Gooden, Richard Brooks, and Arthur Brooks, who moved to Chicago and added Jerry Butler and Curtis Mayfield to their line-up to become Jerry Butler & the Impressions. The Impressions are best known for their 1960s string of hits, many of which were heavily influenced by gospel music and served as inspirational anthems for the Civil Rights Movement. The group's first hit single was 1958's "For Your Precious Love", which hit #11 on the US pop charts and #3 on the R&B charts.

http://hypem.com/artist/jerry+butler++the+impressions

Jerry Butler (Live)

For Your Precious Love Lyrics

You can find this early work at Amazon under Jerry Butler's discography.

post-9-1201479072_thumb.jpg

10 EARTH WIND & FIRE - REASONS

"Earth, Wind & Fire" is an American band that fuses different genres of music, formed in Chicago, Illinois, in 1969 and is led by Maurice White. "Reasons" appears on their recently re-mastered greatest hits album.

Reasons Lyrics

You can find this at Amazon.

post-9-1201479492_thumb.jpg

11 OTIS REDDING - TRY A LITTLE TENDERNESS

"Try A Little Tenderness" is a song written by "Irving King" (James Campbell and Reginald Connelly) and Harry M. Woods. Otis Redding's cover in 1966 features a slow soulful opening that eventually builds into a frenetic R&B conclusion. The song has been named on a number of "best songs of all time" lists, including those from Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Rolling Stone's list of the 500 greatest songs of all time.

Try A Little Tenderness Lyrics

It's available at Amazon.

post-9-1201862888_thumb.jpg

12 FLAMINGOS - I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU

"I Only Have Eyes For You" is a popular song written in 1934 by composer Harry Warren and lyricist Al Dubin, for the film Dames where it was introduced by Dick Powell and Ruby Keeler.

This song was recorded in The Flamingos in 1959, and is ranked in Rolling Stone's list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. This version also appears in the 1973 film American Graffiti.

I Only Have Eyes for You Lyrics

post-9-1201859923_thumb.jpg

13 AL GREEN - LET'S STAY TOGETHER

"Let's Stay Together" appears on Al Green's 1972 album of the same name. It reached number one on the Billboard Hot 100, and remained on the chart for 16 weeks. It is ranked as one of Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. It also appears in the film, "Pulp Fiction."

Let's Stay Together Lyrics

post-9-1201860315_thumb.jpg

14 MFSB - LOVE IS THE MESSAGE

MFSB (short for "Mother, Father, Sister, Brother") was a pool of more than thirty resident studio musicians based at Philadelphia’s famed Sigma Sound Studios. They worked closely with record producers Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff and Arranger Thom Bell, and backed up such groups as The Bluenotes, O’Jays, Stylistics, Spinners, Intruders, Three Degrees, Jerry Butler, Wilson Picket, and Billy Paul.

"Love Is The Message", has been a favorite of dance/disco DJs since its release, and appears in the popular videogame Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, playing on Funk radio station Bounce FM. The song is listed in the Dance Music Hall of Fame.

Lyrics

post-9-1201860911_thumb.jpg

15 ETTA JAMES - AT LAST

"At Last" is a 1941 song written by Mack Gordon and Harry Warren and first performed by Glenn Miller. Although the song was a major hit for Miller, it was largely forgotten until it was covered by blues singer Etta James. The son was released in April 1961, it became her second number-two R&B hit and crossed over to pop radio, reaching number forty-seven on the Billboard Hot 100. James was inducted in the Grammy Hall of Fame in 1999 for her rendition of the song.

http://www.last.fm/music/Etta+James/_/At+Last

Live with Count Basie

At Last Lyrics

16 OTIS REDDING - SITTING ON THE DOCK OF THE BAY

"Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay" was written with the help of producer and guitarist Steve Cropper. Shortly thereafter, Redding died in a tragic plane crash. The song was released in January 1968 and the song shot to number one on the R&B charts in early 1968. By early summer of that year, "Dock of the Bay" topped the pop charts and brought Redding the greatest success of his career. The song went on to win two Grammy Awards: Best R&B Song (for songwriting) and Best Male R&B Vocal Performance (for vocals).

(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay Lyrics

post-9-1201861682_thumb.jpg

17 BILLY STEWART - I DO LOVE YOU

Billy Stewart was an American musical artist, with a highly distinctive scat-singing style. Stewart hit both the pop and R&B charts in 1965 with “I Do Love You." During the late 1970's and early 1980's, in the West Coast, his music became popular among Chicano, youth. In 2005 weeks after Hurricane Katrina, rare recordings of Billy Stewart's music could be heard around the French Quarters of New Orleans. Stewart was inducted into the Washington Area Music Association Hall of Fame in 1982.

I Do Love You Lyrics

His music is available at Amazon.

post-9-1201861993.jpg

18 JAMES BROWN - COLD SWEAT

"Cold Sweat" is a song performed by James Brown and written by his bandleader Alfred "Pee Wee" Ellis. Brown recorded it in May 1967. An edited version of "Cold Sweat" was released as a two-part single on King Records was a #1 R&B hit. A complete version of the song, over 7 minutes long, was included on the album Cold Sweat. Cold Sweat" was recognized as a radical departure from conventional songwriting at the time of its release; it is sometimes cited as the first true funk song.

Cold Sweat Lyrics

Get it at Amazon.

post-9-1201862367_thumb.jpg

19 HEATWAVE - ALWAYS AND FOREVER

"Heatwave" was an international Rhythm and blues/Funk band featuring Americans Johnnie Wilder, Jr. and Keith Wilder (vocals) of Dayton, Ohio, Englishman Rod Temperton (keyboards), Spaniard Mario Mantese (bass), Czechoslovakian Ernest "Bilbo" Berger (drums), Jamaican Eric Johns (guitar) and Briton Roy Carter (guitar). They were best known for their hits "Boogie Nights" and "Always and Forever", which appeared on their 1977 debut album, Too Hot To Handle). "Always and Forever" reached #18 U.S. Hot 100 and #2 R&B in 1978.

Always and Forever Lyrics

post-9-1201862751_thumb.jpg

20 MARVIN GAYE - SEXUAL HEALING

"Sexual Healing" was Marvin Gaye's first single since his exit from his long-term record label Motown. Released off his seminal 1982 album, 'Midnight Love', the song not only became his biggest hit in five years, but also brought Gaye back to the top of the pop music world. Gaye received two Grammy Awards for his efforts (Best Male R&B Vocal Performance of 1982 and Best R&B Instrumental of 1982). The song is listed as one of Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

Sexual Healing Lyrics

post-9-1201863441_thumb.jpg

Best Soul Songs Of All-Time (21-30)

TEMPTATIONS

JUST MY IMAGINATION

GLADYS KNIGHT

I HEARD IT THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE

SAM & DAVE

SOUL MAN

JAMES BROWN

SEX MACHINE