Procol Harem - A White Shade of Pale

DudeAsInCool

I wish I had seen it. :(

Whiter Shade of Pale is a great tune.

and there are many very good versions of it too......

zakk wylde

glenn hughes (deep purple)

sarah brightman..(On her 2000 album La Luna)

annie lennox

willie nelson

david lanz

doro pesch (rare diamonds)

michael bolton... :o:o

joe cocker

lana lane ( :wha': )

justin hayward (moody blues)

the paroles

101 strings orchestra

mike batt orchestra

bill black`s combo

booby johnson and the atoms (i kid you not...they`re french)

alex chilton (the boxtops)

lindsey buckingham (fleetwood mac....On the album Out of the Cradle (Reprise 1998)

cash, kristofferson, jennings, nelson (Highwaymen Ride Again)

canadian brass champions

richard clayderman

bonnie tyler

allen toussaint

vibrating egg (true.....On the 12" EP entitled Come On In Here If You Want To. Released in 1988 on the obscure, independent "Dog Gone Records" label from Athens, Georgia, #333. )

telstars

percy sledge (1967 on Stax / Volt (Atlantic). Released and deleted within two weeks)

sir douglas quintet..(late 1970s / early 1980s...doug sahm live)

Shelly, Alan, andManu Dibango's Brothers (yep..that`s right.... On the EP Les Orgues d'Antan "La Premiere Version Francaise de A Whiter Shade Of Pale" (France: Philips 437.362 BE) EP. There is no year of publication on this EP, writes Lars Banke, but on the rear sleeve the date "26.7.67" is added in handwriting. This certainly tallies with the boast that it is 'the first French version of AWSoP')

the shadows.(The Shadows - XXV (copyright: 1983 Roll Over Records Limited, copyright: Polydor Ltd (London) 1987): in fact, it's a Polydor release: 815 607-2, Made in West Germany.

Relevant musicians credits: Guitar & vocals: Hank Marvin, Bruce Welch; Drums & percussion: Brian Bennett; Bass guitar: Alan Jones; all keyboards: Cliff Hall, except in 3 songs, one being AWSoP: keyboards on this are credited to Alan Hawkshaw.

Schneider, Helgeand the Firefuckers....(oh yes let`s not forget this one...The Helge Schneider cover of AWSoP is quite funny. It's sung in English, but in a very thick German accent. It's played fast in an almost disco-reggae (!) style. Very funny trumpet and vocal lines echo the organ theme. T

he CD also features similar treatments of Knights in White Satin, Ebony & Ivory, Copacabana and the old classic Whispering. Think Spike Jones / Zappa / Weird Al Yankovich and Corporal Klinger ... you'll begin to get the idea!)

tommy sands

paul revere and the raiders

johnny rivers..(1968 on the Realization Album -

1968 - Imperial Records (A Division of Liberty Records) - check out the boxed set on CD. Weedy vocals but pure 1960's big-sound-trash-pop with awe inspiring Hammond playing. Cheesy but really brilliant!)

psychograss

the list is bloody endless........ :bigsmile:

post-101-1111388555.jpg

whoa, alex chilton did 'whiter shade of pale?'

Any of the versions as goode?

i like zakk wylde`s version..very tasteful.......glenn hughes (ex deep purple vocalist and bassist) does a good version as well..he has a very good voice....he also does a great version of " video killed the radio star "..... :) ...i`m going to chase that boxtops/chilton one down sg....oh wait on.. :lol:

BOX TOPS, THE

THE ULTIMATE BOX TOPS

1.967 / CD / WARNER 9-27611-2

* THE LETTER

* NEON RAINBOW

* CRY LIKE A BABY

* CHOO CHOO TRAIN

* I MET HER IN CHURCH

* SWEET CREAM LADIES

* SOUL DEEP

* TURN ON A DREAM

* I SHALL BE RELEASED

* PEOPLE GONNA TALK

* SHE SHOT A HOLE IN MY SOUL

* TOGETHER

* I MUST BE THE DEVIL

* A WHITER SHADE OF PALE

* ROCK ME BABY

post-101-1111391685.jpg

believe it or not there`s also a versionon an album entitled.....wait for it...THE BEATKINGS!!!

BEAT KINGS, THE

A WHITER SHADE OF PALE (VARIOUS ARTISTS)

/ EP 7" / TEMPO EP 4290

* SIDE A:OKAY!

* SWEET SOUL MUSIC

* SIDE B:CARRIE ANNE

* A WHITER SHADE OF PALE

post-101-1111391841.jpg

i remember when 'the letter' came out--my hippie friends were all 'ewww, it sounds so greasy' (my freak friends and i loved it and loved alex c as well...one of my very young GFs ended up w/him for awhile, she ran away to him in South Carolina, i think i remember).

I have 10 different artist's version of A Whiter Shade Of Pale. I think that will hold me. I like Procol Harem the best.

The 101 strings version I have has a fast tempo. I like the Shadows better as far as instrumentals go.

Good Luck, Kiwi! You know I don't have an open mind so don't bother to send me that one. :lol:

I don't have the Justin Hayward version though. :( I guess I will have to see if I can rectify that shortcoming. :)

william shatner needs speed...badly.

so do i; it's very hard to get (legally) here.

I don't have the Justin Hayward version though. :(  I guess I will have to see if I can rectify that shortcoming. :)

Would you like to send you a copy of it, if I can? :) He also does Blackbird (beatles), The Tracks of my Tears, God Only Knows (this is beautifuly sung by Justin), Scarborough Fair, and believe it or not, Stairway to Heaven! And the BEST version of Forever Autumn that I have ever heard!

I first heard the song from Doro (Pesch)'s (ex-Warlock) first solo album Force Majuere. It was later released on the Rare Diamonds greatest hits compilation. It's really the only version I enjoy. Zakk may have done it well, but seeing that I have the Doro album on cassette since '89, I'm much more familiar with it. Great song though.

:psychofun:

I listened to the Firefuckers version a minute ago. Sounds like William Shatner on speed. :blink:

me too ..redneck kindly sent it to me.....as i said to him when my ears had stopped ringing....." no wonder they lost the second world war " :o:wacko: