Rome Adventure

Jim Colyer

Al di la https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwq461GHZGs

If someone asked me what my favorite movie is, I would say "Rome Adventure." It played in theaters in 1962, around the time "Maverick" was wrapping up on television and right before I began riding the bus into Louisville to see movies. I never saw "Rome Adventure" in a theater, but recently purchased the DVD. The movie is based on a novel by Irving Fineman called "Lovers Must Learn." It stars Suzanne Pleshette as Prudence Bell, Troy Donahue as Don Porter and Angie Dickinson as Lyda. Prudence is the good girl, Lyda is the bad girl and Don is caught between them. Prudence is caught between Don and an older Italian called Roberto. The drama starts when college librarian Prudence Bell quits her job after being chastised for loaning a copy of "Lovers Must Learn" to a senior. Prudence then sets sail for Rome to learn about love herself. After finding lodging in the Eternal City, she lands a job in a book store and goes sight seeing. Troy and Angie are an item! But Angie is flaky and keeps using Troy to get her out of messes. Troy almost begs her not to leave Rome. He and Suzanne occupy the same boarding house, and they meet. There are also a nerdy Etruscanologist and a dizzy blonde given to hip talk and sexual obsession. That "Rome Adventure" is part travelog adds to its charm. I took 3 years of Latin in high school and seeing these ancient sites appeals to me. We visit the Arch of Constantine, the Colosseum (named after the Colossus of Rhodes) and Palatine Hill (the first of the 7 hills of Rome). Rome itself began in the year 753 B.C.

"Rome Adventure" is replete with memorable scenes. The suave Italian gentleman takes Prudence for a walk on the Bridge of Angels. She hears bells, but only tinkles when he kisses here. Prudence practices her Italian and explores the city. She crosses the Tiber River in a Roman carriage and passes the Great Piazza at St. Peter's. She falls in love with the city. The men in the movie all want Suzanne: pretty boy Don, Roberto and the Etruscan nerd. The scene that haunts me is the one where Troy and Suzanne listen to Emilio Pericoli sing "Al di la." This may be the most romantic song ever written! Troy explains that "Al di la" means "beyond the beyond." The couple hold hands, and Suzanne uses her eyes. It is very romantic!

They emerge from the Jazz Joint with their candlestick (a mark of Troy's integrity) and kiss in the carriage with "Al di la" playing in the background. Suzanne tells Troy, "I love you." Of course, they married in real life, although it only lasted 9 months. They take a bus tour north and see Michelangelo's "David" and the "Leaning Tower of Pisa," then spend the night by the Mediterranean with Suzanne insisting that Troy sleep on the balcony. The morals of the late 1950's and early 1960's were in contrast with the way things are now. Unmarried couples can sleep together now without guilt or parental interference. When Troy displays his knowledge of the Bible, Suzanne is won over. He even knows Shakespeare and quotes a passage from "Romeo and Juliet." They end up at Lago Maggiore (where Troy had unfortunately taken Angie earlier). It is a lake on the south side of the Alps. They ride a tram to "the top of the world" as "Al di la" comes over the speaker. Suzanne is in heaven, and they spend the night in a chalet. Being married or unmarried was still an issue in 1962, and it took Vietnam to break the barriers down. They continue kissing on the balcony in what has to be the most romantic movie of all. They ride their scooter to "Lovers Point" for a picnic. More smooching! Troy tickles Suzanne's lips with a feather. I can see why these two married. He tickles her nose, and she uses her eyes again! More kissing, and they fall in each other's arms. What a unique blend of religion and sensuality! It rains, and they watch raindrops on the window. They are in love onscreen and off. Suzanne's guilt returns when they accidentally run into Etruscan man. For some unfathomable reason, she and Don have a fear of being found. Again, it was the era in which the movie was made. Mothers kept close watch on their daughters, and movies reflected Puritan mores.

Suddenly, bad girl Lyda is back! She is finished with her American tycoon and expects Don to bail her out. Suzanne walks in as Don and Lyda are about to kiss. She is shocked and hurt! They convene for dinner. Suzanne invites Etruscan man. Angie is experienced and brutal and makes Suzanne look foolish. Suzanne tears up and has to be excused. "Rome Adventure" is slow-paced by today's standards, but more real than current action packed fare. Suzanne retaliates by going to Roberto to learn about love. She is obviously a virgin. She slips into something comfortable and exposes some cleavage. I had a crush on Suzanne Pleshette for a while, but as far as that goes, I had crushes on a lot of them. Roberto has his chance, then backs off. He knows she is meant only for Don. When Don learns that Lyda is married to the tycoon, he beelines to Prudence, catching her before she gets on the boat. We have a happy ending!