Billy Paul - Me & Mrs. Jones

From Wikipedia:

Billy Paul (born Paul Williams on 1 December 1934 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) is a well known soul singer, famous for his Grammy-winning vocals on "Me and Mrs. Jones".

Born and raised in Philadelphia, Billy Paul began his singing career when he was twelve, appearing on local radio shows. Listening at home to his family's collection of 78's, Billy began developing a vocal style that would eventually incorporate traces of Jazz, R&B and Pop. "That's how I really got indoctrinated into music", recalls Billy. "My mother was always buying and collecting records, and she would buy everything from 'Jazz At The Philharmonic Hall' to Nat King Cole.

Seeking to increase hidden technical skills, Billy attended Temple University, West Philadelphia Music School, and Granoff School of Music, for formal training. Switching from Rock to Soul to Pop ballads, he soon became an underground phenomenon in Philadelphia. Paul soon started appearing in clubs and college campuses nationally.

Paul began getting national recognition, and soon appeared in concert with such artists as Charlie Parker, Dinah Washington, Nina Simone, Miles Davis, the Impressions, Sammy Davis and Roberta Flack. Nancy Wilson was so impressed with a track off his debut album that she recorded it herself.

Billy formed a trio and cut his first record, "Why Am I" for Jubilee Records before being drafted into the Armed Services. After his discharge, he joined the New Dawn Label, and was a brief stand in for one of the Blue Notes with Harold Melvin. His first Philly album, "Feeling Good at the Cadillac Club" combined Billy Paul and Gamble/Huff produced tunes, was released on the Gamble Label. This jazz L.P. was followed by "Ebony Woman", a more commercial release on the Gamble & Huff Neptune Label.

"Me and Mrs. Jones" was a No. 1 hit for the last three weeks of 1972, selling two million copies (platinum single status), and went on to win Billy the coveted Grammy Award. The gold album and platinum single broke the artist on world charts, including Britain where the single entered the top five.